Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Using a Siphon Coffee Maker
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 16 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed May 21, 2008, 12:00am
Subject: Using a Siphon Coffee Maker

Using a Siphon Coffee Maker

A text and visual walk through on how to use a siphon coffee device (also known as a vacpot, syphon coffee maker, vacuum brewer, etc). Includes some history and alternative techniques.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed May 21, 2008, 8:37pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Siphon Coffee Maker

Here's a couple of other tips about using a vacpot, and how to obtain one:

Hot
Siphon brewed coffee arrives in your cup very very hot. If you drink your coffee black, keep this in mind. The method of brewing, the negative pressure, steam filled environment, plus the short "travel" the coffee takes all mean the finished brew is extra hot - about 180F or higher by the time it's in your cup.

Drip coffee can be brewed with the same temperature water, but the brewed coffee travels longer through normal temperature air (which gradually gets hotter), and takes longer, sitting in a carafe, as a comparison.

Where to Buy
While I wish these guys would advertise with CoffeeGeek, I do have to recommend the only importer of Hario products in the US or Canada: Avenue 18 Tea Merchants. Their prices are better than the previous importer, and they have a full range of replacement parts. But (and there's no kidding in this), about 99% of their websales are driven by word of mouth through this website and others (and me talking them up in various articles) - so if you buy from them, suggest heavily on the phone they should help support this website, since it drives a lot of sales their way.

Another popular brand is the Yama line, which can be found at the following recommended sources: www.ourcoffeebarn.com, www.sweetmarias.com, www.greenbeanery.ca, www.fantes.com . They are usually the stovetop models. The one like I used in the how to is pretty rare over here.

Bodum still makes its line of vacuum brewers, and they can be found on Amazon.com

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Wed May 21, 2008, 10:16pm
Subject: Re: Using a Siphon Coffee Maker

Mark! you forgot the plastic mesh a la Bodum Santos ( this little fellow: https://id38.securedata.net/sweetmarias /BODUMproducts/bodum.santos.filter.jpg )
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed May 21, 2008, 10:21pm

Didn't forget it - it's mentioned:

Nylon Mesh: Several electric siphon coffee brewers, including the (now defunct) Black and Decker Infuze, or the Bodum Electric Santos, use a one piece filter assembly that has nylon mesh inserts to allow brewed coffee to pass through. These are fairly effecient designs, letting more coffee oils pass through than paper does, but they are quite fragile and easily torn. Cleanup is pretty easy - some are rated as dishwasher safe.

I just didn't include the photograph I took of it, because the photo was poorly exposed. I'll probably reshoot and include it later on.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Wed May 21, 2008, 11:51pm

Okie, my bad, I apologize :)

I thought you were talking about some nylon cloth-like filter
badgett

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: many
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 3:44am

Mark,
This is your best article on your (and mine) favorite brewing method.  I always refer my friends and readers of my website to you for the best source on all things vacpots. Thanks for a great article.

Robert Badgett
www.aboutcoffee.net
jamesglu

Espresso: Bezzera Domus Galatea
Grinder: Mazza Mini
Vac Pot: Several
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 5:08am

This is very timely!  I just unpacked my vacuum pot, which I had left in storage for two years as I prepared to move to China, and now that I'm staying here for the long haul, it and all my other kitchen stuff made the journey over.  Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten how to use it, so I was afraid it would end up sitting there like a piece of art until I got up the energy to search for instructions.  Now, here I am sitting an excellent cup of coffee (made with Intelligentsia Zirikana by the way), using instructions that just appeared in my inbox.  Thanks!!
iginfect
iginfect

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 5:11am

Mark, great article, you are the first to offer an explanation of how it works that I understood, and I have a BS in chemistry and a doctorate in a related "science".

Question: your article in Imbibe did not have the vac pot as the preferred method which delayed me from getting one. They preferred the press pot. Your online article has the vac pot as your favorite. What gives?

Comment: I used to clean my Yama cloth filter in Cafiza after every other use. It stayed slightly brown but the taste was fine. This wet cloth grossed me out and I bought a glass rod filter which can be cleaned easily. The sediment is not a problem after being a press pot user.

I still use my Zojirushi water heater timed to provide the hot water when I awake for my a.m. vac pot. Thanks for that tip.

Marvin
veganjosh

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Compak K10WBC, Mahlkoenig...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 9:24am

Quick comment: I disagree that glass rods allow coffee sediment to come down from the top chamber.  I've been using a Cona D with a glass rod for years, and the only times I get visible sediment are when I accidentally hit the rod during my stir.  Ordinarily, the cup is just as clean with the glass rod as it is with a cloth filter on a Hario TCA-2.
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu May 22, 2008, 9:28am

It is well organized and quite detailed explanation.

Every tool may have someone who prefer it, so it should be advised.

I personally do not quite like this tool, because the water temperature is too high and the coffee may always have too low level of sourness (is it a wrong name?).  I prefer the balanced sourness and bitterness, personally.

There is one thing which make it not easy (able) to control, that is the water temperature.  While for press pot, everything can be controlled easily.  That is why I like it.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 16 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Using a Siphon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242691993713)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+