Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Pour Over Brewer
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Lady_Croft
Lady_Croft
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: None :(
Grinder: Baratza virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tabletop
Drip: Mellita ceramic pourover
Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Pour Over Brewer

Anyone know where I could get the Hario cloth drip pourover not as expensive as at Avenue18?? It would add up to $55 bucks with shipping there! I can't seem to get ANY good results on E-bay. Maybe I just suck at finding things on ebay, but I can never get anything useful to pop up.
 View Profile Link to this post
ecollier
ecollier

Espresso: n/a
Grinder: Capresso
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Hario Manual Pourover/Bunn...
Roaster: Freshroast 8
Posted Thu Oct 1, 2009, 12:35pm
Subject: "Just off boil"?

When Mark writes that the water should be "just off boil," what does that mean? Just before full boil? Full boil then rest for a bit?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 1, 2009, 1:28pm

Hi Evan,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {:-)

Yes the last part of your post, full boil & unplug the kettle., after a few seconds that is 'off of the boil'..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MichaelBrooklyn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 7:48am

You don't mention bloom.

Using this article is a first-time pour-over brewer, I definitely needed to know that

(1) You don't poor in all the water at once

(2) You wait until the bloom by pouring in a bit, then pour in water two or three more times, the whole process of which takes about a minute (or more, as you prefer - the point is you can help control steep time *by the pace of your pouring*, which is not explicitly mentioned anywhere)

Might want to add these!!! I was letting water go through in 20 seconds, by pouring it all in instantly.
bbnox

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Prem plus
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: Hario v60
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 4:13pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bump such an old post but does anyone have pictures of how fine or coarse the grind for pour over should be? I'm using a compak K3 touch.

Thank you

Edit: sorry i found a post about the question. SORRY!
haleymcadams1
haleymcadams1

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 6:30am

Great article again Mark! BTW where can I buy a Bodum Antigua grinder?
wellespresso
wellespresso

Espresso: ECM Giotto (2003), Silvia V1...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Bodum...
Drip: Hario V60 Ceramic Drip Cone
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 5:27pm

So funny, I just bought a Bodum grinder for pour over.

The Antigua is no longer listed on the Bodum site and the Amazon listing shows "ANTIGUA electric coffee grinder was updated in several aspects in 2007," so I can only guess it's out of print; perhaps someone who is in the know can enlighten us.

I bought the Bodum Bistro on Amazon and it's been working well for me. It appears similar in design to the Antigua: it is also a conical burr grinder and has stepless adjustment. The biggest downside is that it has a 20-second (max) timer, and the instructions says to let the machine rest for 5 minutes after the 20-second cycle. This is just enough time for me to grind 40 grams for 4 cups so that's good enough.

Will

Well Espresso Blog (in Chinese)
http://wellespresso.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yirgachefe

Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 3:56pm

I've typically used a bodum chambord french press, but over the past week or so have been getting into pour-over brewing using an inexpensive melitta pour-over cone. I'm thinking about getting a chemex, but am unsure if the cost is worth it. Either way, I want something with a larger capacity, so I may just get a larger melitta cone. Any thoughts on the chemex classic series? I think I much prefer the pour-over method over the french press due to ease of cleaning and no sediment in my cup. However, I do find that this method takes quite a bit more attention than using a press pot (but perhaps well worth it).
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 4:54pm

haleymcadams1 Said:

Great article again Mark! BTW where can I buy a Bodum Antigua grinder?

Posted January 4, 2012 link

Hi Haley, welcome to the CG Forums!

Personally, I believe at $70 (refurb..often a trade show VERY lightly used) or $99 new, the Baratza Maestro is far superior.
Mark's original posting was eons ago. The Bodum would have been, as he stated the minimum grinder for this method.

click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
atalanta
atalanta

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Braun burr grinder
Drip: Capresso Grind & Brew,...
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 8:14am

mrhagerty Said:

My final solution that ended all the alternatives was the Melitta ceramic cone (scarce as hen's teeth)  You can find them on the ebay and end up paying at least $25 for them used.  But they are a treasure and hard to find because the owners keep them.  They never take an odor even if left with spent filters for a day.  They can be washed and cleaned to complete satisfaction for next use.

Posted February 22, 2008 link

I know its been a couple years, but you can buy them directly from Melitta for about $25 new: https://shop.melitta.com/search.asp?SKW=MACM
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249699831009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+