Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Vietnamese Iced Coffee
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
torrefattore

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-Steel
Roaster: Torrefattore Shop Roaster
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 5:07pm
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Iced Coffee

I remember the first time I tried to make Thai iced coffee.

This is a test
 View Profile Link to this post
tdn

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 9:30am

I am Vietnamese who spent 19 years in Vietnam, now I am a barista. I have to say the sad thing is, culturally Vietnamese coffee is usually mixed with soy bean and corn, or some "other ingredients" to bring out the very dark taste of robusta beans. Vietnamese iced coffee is more like a dessert drink than a coffee, since Vietnamese have a very sweet tooth.
kopidrinker

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 9:55am

tdn,
I wouldn't say that it is sad. If we take it for what it is, a very delicious cold beverage, then I would argue that the flavors are in balance, and therefore it is a good beverage. It doesn't make sense trying to conform it to current ideas of what constitutes a good coffee drink. I work in the food/culinary industry, and it always irks me when 'Asian' restaurants get better ratings when all they do is Anglicize their cuisine. Worst case I've seen of this is of bastardization of a South East Asian soup by a French trained chef. He decided to first make a consomne, using the usual mirepoix and bouquet garni, then used that consomne to make the Asian soup. It was supposedly contemporized, and thought to be elevated due to the increased technical difficulty of the dish. IMO that chef has a bad case of culinary confusion, and needs more exposure to culinary anthropology and culture.
We, as a community, should be careful to not go down that same road.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:06pm

kopidrinker Said:

tdn,
I wouldn't say that it is sad. If we take it for what it is, a very delicious cold beverage, then I would argue that the flavors are in balance, and therefore it is a good beverage. It doesn't make sense trying to conform it to current ideas of what constitutes a good coffee drink. I work in the food/culinary industry, and it always irks me when 'Asian' restaurants get better ratings when all they do is Anglicize their cuisine. Worst case I've seen of this is of bastardization of a South East Asian soup by a French trained chef. He decided to first make a consomne, using the usual mirepoix and bouquet garni, then used that consomne to make the Asian soup. It was supposedly contemporized, and thought to be elevated due to the increased technical difficulty of the dish. IMO that chef has a bad case of culinary confusion, and needs more exposure to culinary anthropology and culture.
We, as a community, should be careful to not go down that same road.

Posted September 30, 2011 link

So, are you saying we should stick with the cultural norm or not?

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kopidrinker

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:54pm

I'm saying that before we judge all beverages and practices surrounding coffee, we should have a mental exercise to take into account other factors that might have come into play. Take the case of the Vietnamese coffee having 'other' substances in it. Perhaps it came out of poverty? Perhaps Robusta was all the French Colonists allowed the locals to have. There has to be some reverence for history and culture before any judgements are made, that's all. One also cannot deny the higher cost of arabica beans, and the socio economic and class associations with premium foods. I find that the more I read about all aspects of how, what, and why we eat and drink what we do, making hard statements becomes more difficult.
tdn

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 9:08am

I really like your objective opinion. It is just culturally different. I was born having a sweet tooth and still sticks with it. But I love food in general so anything would work.
To me it is sad because they are going further (and cheaper) than just soy and corn to approach that dark taste . It doesnt happen here in the U.S. but it is in Vietnam. However I had the best VNese iced coffee ever on my trip last summer in Vn.
tdn

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 9:11am

I would say if you want to experience how a true VNese iced coffee tastes like, try the the mixed one. Otherwise, make it however you think tastes good.
kopidrinker

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 1:14pm

What's "mixed one"? Do you have a link or description? thanks.

tdn Said:

I would say if you want to experience how a true VNese iced coffee tastes like, try the the mixed one. Otherwise, make it however you think tastes good.

Posted October 3, 2011 link

tdn

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 7:40pm

The "mixed one" is the coffee roasted with corn and soy and some other substances to brings out the darkest flavor and aroma of the coffee. In addition, Vnese coffe in Vietnam is thicker than regular coffee because of these substances, which vary upon the roasters. But it is not common as well as healthy in the US coffee culture.

The Cafe du  Monde mentioned in the guide is one of those that are mixed (with chicory), but it is not very good.

There is Trung Nguyen coffee, a VNese widely-exported brand if you want to check out.
http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/index.html
edikss1

Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:19pm

Thanks big for the interesting recipe I will necessarily try
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Vietnamese Iced...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235191822052)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+