Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (PID'd)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Starbucks...
Vac Pot: Bodum Thermal French Press
Drip: Melitta pourover
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 4:24pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

You could probably pick up a metal seive just about anywhere that sells kitchenwares.  I think mine is actually a tea strainer.  It's about 3-4" across and shaped like a bowl.  I don't know about size, just make sure it's small enough to keep most of your coffee in the sieve and allow all the flour-like grinds to fall through.  It's not perfect, but it's better than leaving all that powder in.  Dump in the grinds and shake it around.  Do it over the sink!  Makes a helluva mess, but improves the coffee.
Cheers!
    -Dave
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (PID'd)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Starbucks...
Vac Pot: Bodum Thermal French Press
Drip: Melitta pourover
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 4:36pm

COBoy Said:

Another question/comment in the "How Much Coffee?" vein.  I've got a 32 oz press pot but with coffee thrown in, I can only get about 22oz. of water in there before the pot is full.  So I'm weighing out only enough coffee for 22oz. and not 32oz.

Posted January 20, 2004 link

Interesting!  To be honest, I never really noticed.  I have this small plastic scoop that came with an old French Press, and it was a little smaller than 1 TBSP.  I found that the original instructions of "1 scoop per cup", bearing in mind that it was supposedly 8 cups, seemed to do the trick.  Sometimes I'll put in one more for good measure (no pun intended).  Mostly just use that as a guideline and then experiment from there.  A lot of people I know have a definite preference for more grounds or less grounds.
Hope that helps
    -Dave
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2004, 7:49pm

I just got a Bodum Chambord.  I'm not ready to shell out the $$$ for a Rocky or M+, but I won't let the pot's maiden voyage be ruined by my B&D blade grinder.  So, for the time being, I plan on using the commercial grinders at the cafe I work at.   The grinders we have there are the large vertical Bunn commercial ones.  I think one of the ideal dial settings will come from these options:
*Coarse
*Reg Perc
*Elec Perc
*Drip
(We also have Rocky's for espresso, but I don't want to mess with emptying out the dosers and recalibrating the grind settings and stuff while the shop is open for business, y'know?) What do you think? Any forum post I come across seems to just say "coarser than your normal auto-drip".  The pic on your Intro to Press Pots article illustrates the coarseness, but I'm just not sure on how coarse.  I know with these grinders I can have the exact degree of coarseness I need, so why settle for guesswork?  If you have any familiarity with the Bunn's settings, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2004, 8:29pm

IMO I'd prefer a blade grind just before brewing to a perfecto grind that sat for several hours or a day.  I'm one of the odd sorts who actually likes a "thick" (some call it sludgy) cup, so the uneveness of the grind for press doesn't bother.  There IS a difference between a well-practiced blade grind and my Mazzer grind, but I see it as a different coffee prep rather than an inferior one.  Just got back from a 5-day stay in a hotel where I got by very well with a blade grinder and SwissGold.  Good beans, well roasted, right temp water (Ibis Mini), yum.  Grind is is crucial for espresso, but not the end-all for press.  

On another point, re: how much coffee?  I say "too much," and then cut back just a little.  You'd be amazed a how much coffee satisfaction you can get by increasing your dose by 50% above "recommended" amounts. Adjust to taste by manipulating grind and time-of-brew. I get the water boiling, give it a short shot from the tap to drop the temp.
Martin
 View Profile Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2004, 1:46am

The verdict is in:
For a tall commercial-grade Bunn, "Reg Perc" seems to work the best.

Malibar: G1_HD_Black.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
hopkin

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur E
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Clover
Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 3:19am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot - Temperatures

What about temperatures?  It depends on the origin and roast I would say.  A general guideline of ~197-204f is a start, but how acurate really are the basic thermometers that people would be using at home?  Regardless, use trial and error, and using the same thermometer you will get the same results (even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day).

But lets complicate this further, depending on your altitude and barometric pressure, boiling points change.  This makes using a kettle risky.  Personally I don't like kettles because so many of them seem to have such a high boiling temperature (the water bubbles for 3 minutes and then shuts off).  I find the characteristic and flavour of water changes if boiled too long, even if boiled say to 212 and allowed to cool to 200 degrees before pouring, its flat, awful.

I was really worried about my temperatures at home when using a press pot... but its a much more organic, feel whats right approach.  Many principals of espresso can be applied when it comes to roasts and temperatures, but the methods are more basic.  Thats actually the beauty of it.

a.

Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar

Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:03am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot - Temperatures

Two words: digital thermometer.

Reads accurately and instantly.  I got mine at a grocery store for $11.   Might seem high for a thermometer, but view it as an investment just like having Silvia or Rocky around is an investment.  One step closer to the perfect cup each time.

jeffmac
jeffmac
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa lever...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: German 1950's ground glass...
Drip: Vignano 'Kontessa' moka pot,...
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 5:05pm
Subject: Re: How to Use a 'what' Pot?!?

Just on water temperature.

I agree with the previous post about (electric) kettles.  Tea should be made with fresh cold water which has been heated to what the Japanese refer to as the 'fish-eye' stage. i.e when bubbles of steam form on the bottom of the heating container (and no, I don't know how far up Fujiyama one can do this). Rapid fire boiling, or worse, re-boiling water, results in de-oxygenated water (I'm told) and tastes flat. Too hot water, like too long steeping, extracts bitter tannins.

I imagine this goes pretty well as advice for coffee also.

4 months ago my tea kettle broke.  I began a search for the perfect kettle. That led me to the idea of an espresso machine that also supplied hot water. That led me to research coffee machines. That led me to learn how to use the internet. That led me to Coffegeek. That led me to Rocky. Then to Elektra (this Friday Please gott!). $2000 later...

I'm still looking for the kettle.  Anyone out there know anything about kettles? I'm toying with an underbench instantaneous (filtered) hot water tap to save bench space for my espresso setup.

Anyone know if these have adjustable thermostats or any other advice?
FunctionallyIlliterate
FunctionallyIlliterate
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: none
Grinder: Solis Maestro Pro
Vac Pot: Nissan stainless thermal...
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Jun 14, 2004, 8:05am

I appreciate the guide. I am now enjoying my coffee. I just got my equipment and I mistakenly added two Tbs per cup instead of one. I am AWAKE.

Give me all of your T.P.!
Merovingian

Espresso: Saecco Magic DeLux
Grinder: LaCimbali Alinox
Posted Fri Jul 23, 2004, 10:52am

Thank you for the guide, but does anyone know what is the proper setting for my LaCimbali Avinox grinder?  I just got it (though its over ten years old) and it apparently has about 42 grinder settings...

I started at the top (41), because thats where it was set, and the knob is really hard to turn, but that is clearly an espresso setting -- My press pot still makes good coffee, but is markedly more bitter than the stuff I had them grind for me at the Peets down the street... and they are beans from the same bin.

I'll probably figure it out through trial and error, but if anyone just knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259627103806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+