Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Use a Press Pot
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 12 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: How to Use a Press Pot

How to Use a Press Pot

Find out all you need to know about the ubiquitous press pot, aka french press, aka plunger, aka Bodum, aka cafetiere, aka a lot of other names.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 9:54am
Subject: Re: How to Use a Press Pot

It was a great read.   A colleague at work gave me a 1 or 3 cup presspot for free.  So I began to try it out and man it is like night and day from regular drip coffee.  I love it... I love it so much now that I use it for making TEA also....YES Mark evil geniuses drink Tea also...hahaha

I am selling my Silvia and I am going to have some down time before I get a new machine so press pot is going to be my best friend for a while so thanks for the how to....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
baristaboy
baristaboy
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 12:21pm

Using a press may seem a basic, easy form of brewing, but it is often messed up.  The article is well written and very informative.  I enjoy reading How-To articles because they often offer tips that I may have never considered in my persuit of coffee nirvana.

-John
 View Profile Link to this post
Camchatka
Camchatka

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Bodum single cup filter
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 2:27pm

I've been using a press pot (Bodum) for about 7 years now and I learned more in the 5 minutes it took to read the article than in all the years up to now. I've learned a lot of what was recommended by the tried and true trial and error. It's tried and true, but man I wish I would have had this article 7 years ago to save me on a lot of mediocre coffee.

One point of contention (or addition): I like using freshly ground beans. In my experience it does make it a little more of a challenge to press, but if one is careful it won't be too difficult. I don't know what it is, but freshly roasted beans add a spark to a press pot that I notice much more than with drip coffee. Maybe it's just me, but I like going with fresh.

Having said that, I find the press pot is also a forgiving way to roast coffee as well. Unlike other methods, you can control the strength of the coffee with relative ease and, if you like to experiment with some international alternatives such as adding chickory or cardamom, then the press pot should definitely be in your coffee tool kit.

Great piece.

Cameron
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 4:30pm

v2 and the articles just don't stop flowing - this is what I'm talking about!

Mark-
Enjoyed the article tremendously but I wanted to ask a question and offer a suggestion.

As someone who is relatively inexperienced with press pots, I'd like to get a better idea of the proper grind and the proper amount.  It seems that the suggested amounts I've heard are all over the board.  For example, Bodum's suggested ratios for the 32oz. Eileen equals about 2.5oz of coffee.  This is as much as I use for a 64oz. Bunn drip machine!

I've been experimenting with using 1oz. of grinds for the 32oz. Eileen and am enjoying the quality of the coffee produced at 3min steep.

So, how fine/coarse should the grind be?  An espresso lecturer once described the espresso grind to me as "fine with a slight grit when rubbed between two fingers, leaving behind coffee residue."  Of course, he told me this in person and demonstrated but can you offer a description of the grind for a lay person like myself?

And speaking of steeping, should the timing start the moment the water hits the grinds or after you have filled the pot and stirred the mixture?

Thanks!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 4:47pm

Nice article, Mark.  Helpful.  Regarding  your words, "Personally, as someone who cups coffee, I don't mind a bit o' sludge and grit in my cup. Well, that depends. If I find it in my filter drip coffee, it bothers me. But in a Press Pot brew, I can deal with it.":

Press is by far my favorite non-espresso drink.  Perhaps you or others can say a bit more about getting that rich and heavy taste (call it sludge and grit).  Also, haven't read much about favorite varieties and blends that are most suited for press.  I generally brew whatever I've roasted for espresso.  Since I'm always testing how light I can roast for espresso, and often miss, these roasts, in particular, get drunk as press.  
Martin
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 5:38pm

Mark, first comment... great pictures.. clear & precise... exactly as "how to..." pictures should be.  I've been using a French Press for years (various Bodum units), but hadn't unpacked it since my last house move (to be honest, I couldn't find the damn thing anywhere).  Your article inspired me to redouble my efforts, and I'm back in business!  I agreed with every word, but you didn't cover the hard bit... cleaning the filter after use! :)

Cheers
peter
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 9:22pm

Well, well...after reading this, it's good to know I've been doing SOMETHING right!...thanks..oh..
by the way, I've been using the SwissGold replacement filter on my beautiful Bonjour 6 cup...works terrifically, and cleans up much easier...I even reviewed it!...Robert Jason

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
neilometer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (someday!)
Grinder: Solis Maestro (Plus)
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos (stovetop)
Drip: Melitta manual (w/ SwissGold...
Posted Wed Nov 12, 2003, 9:41am

I'll second high praise given to the SwissGold filter.  I got one to try out and ended up using it exclusively!  Highly recommended.

Also, I'd like to say that even though the high bloom of very fresh coffee is harder to deal with, the taste is MILES above even a few days older coffee!  Everyone should try it at least once.

--Neil
espressotweek
espressotweek

Espresso: Francis Francis X5
Grinder: Rocky - doserless
Posted Thu Nov 13, 2003, 10:10am

Hey gang,

How abot proper temperature for the water? I have used a press pot before and always got burnt or luke warm coffee. Any ideas? also, what is the best brand of press pot out there?

Thanx,

E.
showing page 1 of 12 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Use a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26255607605)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+