Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Espresso Con Panna!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
supervolcanotheory
supervolcanotheory
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi
Drip: French Press
Posted Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:13pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Con Panna!

I remember the first time I had *espresso.*  I was so nervous, but knew in my heart of hearts that I would have to try it.  So, naturally, with the little knowledge of Italian I had, I guessed that 'con panna' meant 'with whipped cream,' and ever since that fateful day, espresso and I have been very much in love, constantly going on picnics in Belgium and gazing at clouds.
 View Profile Link to this post
Anf51

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 12, 2006, 3:14pm

Mark

Although I don't prefer this method of drinking espresso, this is a fun drink to make.  Thanks for the guide.

Anf
rgs1218

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Evoluzione
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Drip: Bodum press, Chemex, Hario
Roaster: Not yet...
Posted Sat May 20, 2006, 6:54pm

If you like espresso con panna, you need to try this variation.  I can't take any credit for the discovery but sure can endorse it.  Pulling the shot on top of the whipped cream leaves a creamy hot and cold blend of boldness of espresso tempered just enough by the sweetness of the cream (cream doesn't completely melt but sort of gently mixes with the espresso).  I use fat free 'whip in a can' and they're awesome.
truck51

Posted Mon Dec 18, 2006, 5:27pm

About 30 years ago there was a restaurant and coffee house in San Francisco called Millard's on Fillmore.  They served espresso con panna, which was an espresso with a small dollop of whipping cream or industrial cream gently laid on top of the coffee.  Not whipped, just the rich cream on top.  Yum.
rmeredit

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Posted Sun Dec 31, 2006, 10:33pm

My first post - I shouldn't start off on a negative note - but I've got to say this is an awful thing to do to a decent espresso (IMNSHO ;) )  I'll leave aside the whole 'cream in a can' abomination - the heat from the espresso melts the cream so that the fats end up floating in a slag-like scum on the surface, and coats your digestive tract all the way down.  Dear god, it's like drinking lard.

Put me down as a purist, I guess.

On a probably uninteresting side-note, in Australia these are often referred to as 'Vienna Coffees' (not sure why it's never Viennese Coffees, but anyhoo).  Here's a pic of one served in anger in a cafe.  Note one of the comments refers to this as a "drink of the 70s".  The photographer obviously enjoyed it, but ick.
rosielovescoffee

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2008, 9:58am

HA! This is what I got in France when I ordered a cappucino, much to my disgust!
Machew

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola,...
Grinder: Rancillo Rocky
Vac Pot: Looking into it...
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Looking into it...
Posted Sat Jan 17, 2009, 8:28pm

There are obvious merits to an Espresso con Panna; It's like training wheels for the un-washed who want to love espresso...but can't handle the taste just yet. It's delicious when you want a sweeter, creamier, bit of espresso for dessert, and it's gorgeous and makes a great drink for that heavy tipper who comes in and says, "I don't like coffee...but I want to try some...will you make me something good?" *Yes, this has happened.*

Now, personally, when I make a Con Panna, I don't use whipped cream. I do use heavy cream, but I make a mixture of the cream, some pure vanilla extract, sugar (just a little), and salt. I put the cream mixture in the glass and then pull the shot over it. When the shot mixes with the cream, it makes a nice marbled pattern on the surface of the crema. If I do use whipped cream, I still pull the shot over the cream.

Also, in the drinks defense (as many people have previously stated) this drink is not an abomination created in the dungeons of Starbucks.
BTG1

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Mar 5, 2009, 12:40pm

A starbucks invention!?
rufusag
rufusag

Espresso: ECM Giotto, ECM Boticelli I,...
Grinder: Innova I1, Rossi RR45, Astra...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KitchenAid Ultra
Roaster: Nope
Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009, 3:22am

The recent *bump* brought this vintage Y2K era thread to my attention for the first time.  This drink has somehow fallen out of my repertoire, and I'm not sure why, because I really do enjoy it.  It a good recipe for those among us who don't enjoy warm milk-based espresso drinks.  I'm in a rut of iced lattes as the only variety to straight espresso.
morgan_greywolf
morgan_greywolf
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID'd Hamilton-Beach
Grinder: Infinity, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: I was told they suck. :-)
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: Cattle Dog Roasters
Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 5:18am
Subject: Whipped cream from skim milk?!

Real whipped cannot be made with skim milk.  Real whipped cream is made from heavy cream, sometimes even called 'heavy whipping cream' if you see it in the store.  Real whipped cream does not actually require sugar or substitute, either, but many do add it.

http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/
Ever mind that water purifies the machine, but espresso purifies the soul!
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213483810425)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+