Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dcrehr

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Fri May 7, 2004, 6:23am
Subject: Re: Brew N Go Budget Coffee Maker

I used a Cup-at-a-time for a year or so.  The reason I finally gave it up was that it is impossible to clean. Most other drippers are only "nearly" impossible to clean, but this went over the line.  It did make good coffee, though.

DR
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
FredLanger
FredLanger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Cory, Silex, Nicro, Sunbeam
Drip: Melitta one-cuppers, B&D...
Roaster: BBQ Grill, Hottop, WB...
Posted Sun May 16, 2004, 8:51pm

I used the Cup-at-a-Time (white) in my office for a couple years and regularly had the Bloom Of Fresh Roasted Coffee cascade into the reservoir requiring a through cleaning.  Yes, it does reach suitable temps and makes an excellent cup of brew.  I just got tired of the constant cleanup.  Ironically, I used the exact method Mark described to interrupt the flow and allow the bloom to settle, but each time I would forget, the inevitable mess would result.  I switched to a Melitta #2 cone on a mug and a kettle for the water to pour over it.  I still have the B&D on a shelf and will likely use it for travel soon.

"Give a man fresh-roasted coffee and he'll drink like a king for a day.
Teach a man to roast and he will drink like a king for a lifetime."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Lefty69

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 11:24am

The DCM18X - comes with 2 thermal cups is on sale at Target (in Columbia, MD, anyways) for only $9.77)!!!!!

Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
Larnach
Larnach
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Express 3 Cup...
Grinder: Starbucks
Drip: KitchenAid 4-cup
Posted Sun Oct 31, 2004, 8:03pm

Like you, I use mine at work to avoid the "urn."  I've had it for two years and it's been great.  Two tablespoons, 3-4 minutes, and a very good cup of coffee.  As for #1 filters, who needs 'em?  Number 2's work just fine if you fold them an extra quarter-inch, you can get them anywhere, and they cost a fraction of price.
doktarr

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Krups Mokamaster
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:47am

I don't own either of these, but just a suggestion on a possible fix to the spillover problem -

Is there some way to jam or glue something in place to partially block the water entering the "showerhead"?  This might slow the water flow enough to prevent the overflow problem.
bluto
bluto

Espresso: moka, Brikka
Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Vac Pot: Yama, Infuze, Silex
Drip: manual cone, presspot
Roaster: local
Posted Thu Feb 10, 2005, 7:15pm

The problem with overflow is due to the brewing funnel's
small size relative to the amount of water the reservoir will hold.

As the old expression goes, "if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river".
My solution is to brew a smaller cup, 8-10 oz. instead of the 15-16 oz.
of water the reservoir holds.  I use a paper filter and a medium grind.

Sometimes there's a few grounds stuck to the showerhead, but never
a spillover into the water tank.
aziz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 17, 2005, 5:30pm

Great review!

I've had the Cup-at-a-time model for almost two years now, and I think it works pretty well.    I didn't like the permanent filter that came with the machine, so I switched to Melitta #1 filters which were much better.  The permanent filter, I found, let in too much oil (you could see it floating on the surface of the brewed liquid) and it also let a few grinds pass into the cup.  The paper filters solved both of these problems.

Canadian Tire carries the Melitta #1 filters, and that's my primary source for them.  Someone once suggested that I trim #2 filters if I can't find the #1's, but since Cdn. Tire always seems to have them in stock, I haven't had to do this.  

Overflow hasn't been a problem for me, but then I realized that perhaps I wasn't adding enough coffee.  My method is probably not the best, but I use one of those plastic picnic disposable eating spoons for scooping ground coffee.  (I reuse the spoon, for those wondering...) I don't know what volume this works out to, but I find that 2 to 2.5 heaping spoonfulls is enough.   I think tomorrow, I will use a proper tablespoon to experiment.

One of the negative aspects of the Cup-at-a-time model is its expected mug-size - way too small.  I only have one mug at home that will fit under the spout which makes it a problem if I want to use a travel mug.  If I ever need to buy another single cup machine, it will most likely be the Brew-and-Go.

As an aside, I'm amazed at how little these products sold for. Considering the Canadian Tire-bought model was $10, I can't imagine how much the importer paid for this... maybe $5, $6 per unit, and they probably sold it to Canadian Tire for $9 or $9.50. Out of that $5 or $6, the manufacturer probably got $1.50 per unit if they were lucky... and the production costs for the box and shipping the thing from Asia eats up a chunk. Looking at the box, I bet it cost as much, if not more to produce than the machine itself.

I think the model usually retails for $20 Cdn;  Mark Prince must have picked it up during a sale.  In fact, I too bought my Cup-at-a-time during a similar sale - for $10 Cdn.   For any Canadians interested, these sales (for the Cup-at-a-time model) come around very often at Canadian Tire, so don't buy it for $20 Cdn - unless you're in a rush.  

Incidentally, I've seen other "bargin models" spring up since I bought mine - I believe Toastmaster has one.  Has anyone tried similar models?  How do they compare to the B&D ones?
jandrews

Posted Wed Jul 6, 2005, 2:40pm

I've used the larger Brew-N-Go for 8 years non-stop (that is, several times per day) and without anything more than an occasional rinse.  I love it.

One weak feature is that you must be very careful how you put the basket in.  It's possible to have it look seated, but it's actually cocked slightly, covering the exit hole.  This will cause the basket to overflow during brewing.

I always use paper filters.  :)
maynard_g
maynard_g

Espresso: VBM Domobar
Grinder: La San Marco SM90
Drip: TechniVorm; Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Sunbeam gas grill
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:49pm

I read this review about six months ago I think, and finally came across a Brew N' GO at a thrift store this past week for $2.00 (US)!  It looks almost new.  This one looks different than the models reviewed.  It is a DCM16.   I took out the plastic screen filter and also use #2 papers by cutting about a 1/2" off the top and folding one side by 1/3".   Works great...no bloom.   That 800 watt thermocoil is impressive, and generates a very steady (although quick) brew cycle.  I highly enjoy using it at my desk here at work.  It's very therapeutic.

maynard_g: brwngo0018.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TGH
TGH

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly,  Ditting, Zass
Vac Pot: Santos, Nicro, Cory
Drip: KMB, Melitta, Presto
Roaster: poppery I, HG/BM
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2005, 4:27pm

I agree great review. This is one of the really great cheap coffee brewers that can make one cup at a time, you would be very hard pressed to make better drip coffee with it setup for 12 oz or less. I purchased mine for $1.00 at a thrift store, it looked well used. After some tweaking mine can produce one 10 - 12 oz cup as good as any auto drip brewer. I added one extra hole to the dispersion screen in the rear right corner  and resized the drip hole hole under the filter basket until the brew time is 4 - 4.5 minutes with my with home roasted beans. I prefer the filter basket that came with the brewer, mine is setup for 12 - 15 grams of ground coffee any more and the bloom can cause problems.  I have checked the temp, it is 195 - 200 on this unit.  I use this several times a week in the mornings when in a hurry. This is a great buy if you can find a used one for almost nothing.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Brew N Go Budget...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229738950729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+