Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 15 first page previous page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 7:48am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

I ended up going back in yesterday to be sure it all went back correctly and took the time to get to know how the adjustment ring fits together a bit better. I also wanted to be certain I hadnt screwed something up.

The second time removing the case, the adjustment ring base again moved up in the rear by a cm or two. I moved the micro arm to the left to detach the adjustment ring from the base and it popped right off. The base ring only has one nub on it as far as I could see that lines up with a hole on the white plastic beneath. This matched the images in the Baratza PDFs. I matched it up and firmly seated it. It was solidly in place. Again, I gave the adjustment ring a look over and it looked in good shape. The calibration screw was also firmly seated and showed no ware. I then saw what you are talking about... Three tabs on the ring that have to match up with the base ring's notches while the micro is in the 8 o'clock. I matched it up, locked the micro arm back to the 6 and it all seemed to be back to square one. I now see how pushing the guts down while pullin the case off is probably the best way to remove the casing and will use that method of I ever need to get back inside it. I can also see how one could potentially bust the ring or put it in incorrectly. Luckily a replacement is cheap!

It all now feels firmly in place and I did a quick test grind at fine and coarse. Both nice. I probably could have seated the base ring with a bead or two of glue but it felt very firm in place. And am now enjoying yet another great cup from this grinder. I am happy to know that if ever something wore out, I am comfortable taking the machine apart and replacing a part. I can also now see how something could ware out or break. That little nub that the base ring attaches to the white plastic seems like an easy thing to break, although I don't know what it would take.

Does it sound like I have everything put back together correctly? I used the Baratza PDFs to be sure as I went and assume that I got it by the fact that it is grinding beans haha, so that's sort of an unnecessary question. I really do love this grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 8:12am

Sam21 Said:

The calibration screw was also firmly seatedand showed no ware.

Posted April 16, 2012 link

Nothing to wear there.

I can also now see how something could ware out or break. That little nub that the base ring has seems like an easy thing to break, although I don't know what it would take.

Easy enough to break.The slightest torquing from horizontal if removing the bottom locking ring can snap it off.

Does it sound like I have everything put back the right way? I used the Baratza PDFs to be sure as I went and assume that I got it by the fact that it is grinding beans haha

Sounds good, & you can double check by removing the bean hopper & looking & pushing slightly at the black grinds adjustment ring to see if it's horizontal/flat. If any one of the 3 calibration ring tabs are broken (or any of the 3 Micro tabs too), the assembly will sit on an angle.

CraigA: Pict455.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Sam21

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 8:37am

CraigA Said:

Nothing to wear there.

Easy enough to break.The slightest torquing from horizontal if removing the bottom locking ring can snap it off.

Sounds good, & you can double check by removing the bean hopper & looking & pushing slightly at the black grinds adjustment ring to see if it's horizontal/flat. If any one of the 3 calibration ring tabs are broken (or any of the 3 Micro tabs too), the assembly will sit on an angle.

I can definitely see how a side to side torque could snap that little nub off. It would also seem that making it so easy to snap on and off, or glue down, makes it easy to replace if necessary.

When you say "tabs," are you referring to the three tabs that lock into the base ring? Which tabs are you talking about with the calibration ring? The entire adjustment ring seems to be flat when looking at it. I assume the angle would be quite noticeable to the eye and by pressing. It seems rather firm throughout with a little pushing. It does give a tiny tiny bit, but it seems no more than any plastic part would give when pushed on. It's not a noticeable downwards play with pressure. For future reference, what would I expect to find if there was an issue with these tabs?

Would the angle be noticeable and would the ring give a noticeable amount in one area? I assume that this would also mean that the outer burr sits at an angle. I double checked by locking the outer burr into place by spinning the hopper tabs, putting the dust guard on and also looking at the top of that. It looks flat as can be. I stopped myself short of looking to deep into any sort of angle or almost imperceptible play, as I assume a broken part would yield an obvious and noticeable result.

Am I correct?
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 9:12am

Sam21 Said:

When you say "tabs," are you referring to the three tabs that lock into the base ring? Which tabs are you talking about with the calibration ring? The entire adjustment ring seems to be flat when looking at it. I assume the angle would be quite noticeable to the eye and by pressing. It seems rather firm throughout with a little pushing. It does give a tiny tiny bit, but it seems no more than any plastic part would give when pushed on. It's not a noticeable downwards play with pressure. For future reference, what would I expect to find if there was an issue with these tabs?

I put a pic above of a broken Micro arm adjusting ring tab. Calibration ring tabs are much smaller & I've posted a pic of that I believe. Check my much earlier pics to see please.

Would the angle be noticeable and would the ring give a noticeable amount in one area? I assume that this would also mean that the outer burr sits at an angle. I double checked by locking the outer burr into place by spinning the hopper tabs, putting the dust guard on and also looking at the top of that. It looks flat as can be. I stopped myself short of looking to deep into any sort of angle or almost imperceptible play, as I assume a broken part would yield an obvious and noticeable result.

Yes, it would be a quite noticible amount angle/tilt in one area.

Am I correct?

Yes.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Sam21

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 11:51am

CraigA Said:

I put a pic above of a broken Micro arm adjusting ring tab. Calibration ring tabs are much smaller & I've posted a pic of that I believe. Check my much earlier pics to see please.

Yes, it would be a quite noticible amount angle/tilt in one area.

Yes.

Great picture. Those are the areas that I gave a good look over when I popped the adjustment ring out. There were definitely no pieces missing there, but I see how they would create consistency issues. Horrid grind consistency would presumably be a symptom if there is an issue causing tilt in the adjustment collar and thereby affecting the outer burrs alignment when locked in place, if I am interpreting that correctly.

I do wonder about the stress put on these parts throughout the grinders use, but I assume the replaceability of those parts is part of the reason why Baratza's grinders are able to remain affordable while producing grinds that match the quality of much more expensive machines. I love my Preciso and appreciate the deeper understanding of the adjustment mechanism and the general "under the hood" workings. I have mine paired with an Esatto and I use it for manual pour over methods of all sorts. I purchased mine before they added the Preciso burrs to the Virtuoso, but would have likely purchased the Virtuoso with Preciso burrs, as I don't have any plans on the horizon to start fooling with espresso. Even so, the Preciso does leave that option open now and does make for a very very nice grinder for everything I ask of it.

Thanks, CraigA
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 11:56am

Great stuff Craig.
I've saved these pages for the future...just in case.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KKBurke

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 9:25am

I own a Baratza Vario-W and agree with the author's compliments of this company.  Service is a priority for Baratza, and CEO Kyle responded to my inquiry himself.
SuburbanLatte
SuburbanLatte

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno PM Prof
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2 & Yama SY-5
Drip: Chemex, Hario V60  & AP
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 1:33pm

Thanks for this, Mark.  Two quick questions as I consider upgrading from a 4.5 yr old Virtuoso to a new Prescio.

1. Have started to experience stalls or chokes in my Virtuoso when grinding for espresso.  If I shake the unit or dial up (i.e. courser), the motor restarts and continues grinding.  Question: Is she dying, Jim, or do I maybe need to do another recalibration?  Also noticed the last two batches of espresso I bought at Revolver seem to need the finest setting from day one (their roast dates are generally no more than a week or two out).  Do the paper bags they tend to use (SightGlass, for one) allow more CO2 in and deteriorate the beans faster than, say, with Black Cat bags?  Or is this a sign that I should do another recalibration to give more room at the fine end?
    I disassemble to clean and run Grindz through it once every month or two.  Small volume home use.  

2.  Does the Prescio need to be recalibrated for espresso the same as Virtuosos?

Many thanks,
S
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 15 of 15 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281769990921)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+