Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Quickshot Review Feedback
Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2004, 1:00am
Subject: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD

Technivorm MoccaMaster CD

We took a Technivorm MoccaMaster CD for a three week spin, and all we got was this lousy review! :) CoffeeGeek has an indepth quickshot look at a little known, but high quality coffee brewer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AdventureLarry
AdventureLarry
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Estro Vapore
Grinder: Ditting KFA903
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm, Bunn, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Caffe Rosto
Posted Tue Nov 16, 2004, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD

Overall I agree with most portions of this review.  The brewed coffee is outstanding (I use 1-7 gram scoop per cup) and the construction is top notch.

I think that one issue that Technivorm may have is with the labeling. My KBTS is model KB 741, and it says on the brewer itself that it is a MoccaMaster. This is a thermal version.

Boyds does sell a 9 hole arm that may help with the dispersion of water. I am waiting to receive mine. I use the handle of a butter knife to stir the grounds currently.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:41am

I enjoyed the article.  I love my Technivorm.  It's so fun to say.

I will just echo what AdventureLarry says.  The Multi-Hole Water Pipe is about $7 at Boyd's.  It is the only way to go.

Mark may want to add to his statement below:

That said, this is an easy thing for the user to overcome. You can do it in one, two or a combination of two ways.

Don't put the carafe under the filter assembly right away during the start of brewing. This will fill up the filter (be VERY careful you don't overflow it - remove its lid to observe), and help the coffee become more fully saturated.

Stir the coffee in the filter assembly - use a chopstick. I do. :)

Add this line - "Or for $7 more, you can add a Multi-Hole Water Pipe (available from Boyd's).  Problem Solved, and no more babysitting your $200 coffee maker"

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:54am

my dad has a Krups 10-cup Thermal Coffeemaker with thermal carafe
is it better than this machine or is it a wash....
I am curious with the holidays coming up..whether that is a good coffee machine...

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
AdventureLarry
AdventureLarry

Espresso: Estro Vapore
Grinder: Ditting KFA903
Drip: Technivorm, Bunn, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Caffe Rosto
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 1:22pm

I have had a Krups (still do) and I find the Technivorm to make superior coffee.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SnTholiday

Grinder: Mr. Coffee burr
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm KB741
Roaster: Popper II and Pumper
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 4:52pm

Krups machines do not reach proper brew temperature, and are no where near the quality of the Technivorm (though I cannot speak for the Mocca Brew).  See the reviews on this website for more info on Krups.

The Technivorm brewers are worth every penny, especially if you invest in the
$7.00 multihole pipe. I don't know why Technivorm does not include it with the brewer.
grillroaster
grillroaster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 6:18pm

I've had the MoccaMaster CD for almost 3 weeks and am just about ready to write a consumer review.  It is clearly the best drip brewer I've owned (and there have been many over the years).  I too tested the water temp and it was in line with Mark's measurements (very good).  I also did some temperature tests on that double switch warmer feature (low/high) to see what it really does and will inlcude that in my review along with other observations.

I ordered the multi-hole pipe with the product after having read so many threads about it here on CG.  While I agree the multi-hole pipe is better, I think it still needs some tweaking.  If you view the pipe installed in the Technivorm with the drip basket underneath, the holes in the pipe are not centered over the basket.  They are just about an inch off.  This appears to result in the water playing favorite to the left side of the basket (viewed from top).  I don't want to scare anyone with these comments because the coffee is still absolutely fantastic and I'm not stirring the grinds.

Here's a couple of pics of the two water pipes side by side (for inquiring minds):

grillroaster: Technivorm Bar 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
slider
slider

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless, Knee...
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cona rod
Drip: 1 Cup Ceramic, Press
Roaster: SC/SO, iRoast1, iRoast 2
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2004, 9:07pm

I have purchased the KBTS Thermal model for my sister for Christmas and I am very excited about it. Before I go on to comment on the review, I just wanted to say thanks to all who mentioned the 9 hole mode from Boyds, just ordered it and will install it before she even gets it.

My only concern about this review, is the fact that CG even requested a no thermal carafe version.  If your in this forum you probably know that a hot plate is a no no.  If your reviewing for the site, well, the author knows this.  Basically, he orders a machine from a company that offers two thermal carafe version of the machine, knowing full well that it will fail keeping the coffee "fresh" for one hour on a hot plate, then proceeds to bash the machine for that very reason.  It just doesn't make any sense.  The most valuable part of the review was the testing of the brew temperature, something that almost every single other coffee machine fails at.  One a slightly lesser note, the single hole pour spout.  One of the things I have learned over the years is the difference b/w a cone basket and a cylindrical basket is that the cone style's very purpose is for proper extraction from single hole drip machines, I'd concede the fact that the author did note that the grounds were unevenly saturated.  Finally I feel one of the features overlooked was the descaling warning light indicator, I did not see any mention of it.

Myself?  Well, when I am in the mood for drip, it's electric kettle, thermometer, cone filter and glass line thermal carafe, but that's just me :)

This plan is so bad it must be one of ours!
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2004, 5:08am

slider Said:

My only concern about this review, is the fact that CG even requested a no thermal carafe version.  If your in this forum you probably know that a hot plate is a no no.  If your reviewing for the site, well, the author knows this.  Basically, he orders a machine from a company that offers two thermal carafe version of the machine, knowing full well that it will fail keeping the coffee "fresh" for one hour on a hot plate, then proceeds to bash the machine for that very reason.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Posted November 17, 2004 link

Yep, for "many years" I've known that coffee left on a burner is a "no no" and still chose the Technivorm CD.  I always pour the brew into a glass lined carafe right after the brew is done, so the glass carafe in the CD didn't bother me.  I have a stainless lined carafe and have not been impressed with it.  It is harder to clean than glass and in my case did not retain heat as well (with preheated water).  Already owning several glass carafes, I saw no value in purchasing a TV with a stainless carafe that I wouldn't use.  I'd also read comments from TV owners who felt compelled to replace the stainless carafe with a glass lined substitute.

I guess Mark felt compelled to remark about the coffee not staying fresh on a heater for "x" time for those that don't understand that principle.  I just went past it thinking "that's always been true of any coffee maker with a glass carafe and heater".  I was very glad to see that Mark decided to test a Technivorm regardless of which one he picked.  The bottom line is that it is a well made product that delivers an excellent brew.

Rick
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:01am

grillroaster Said:

While I agree the multi-hole pipe is better, I think it still needs some tweaking.  If you view the pipe installed in the Technivorm with the drip basket underneath, the holes in the pipe are not centered over the basket.  They are just about an inch off.  This appears to result in the water playing favorite to the left side of the basket (viewed from top).  I don't want to scare anyone with these comments because the coffee is still absolutely fantastic and I'm not stirring the grinds.

Posted November 17, 2004 link

I agree.  It is a shame that with so many really important things perfect (temp, time, etc.), that the "smaller details" are so overlooked.  I just think the company is very used to doing things a certain way, and is not very quick to respond.  In fact, the multi-hole water pipe is really designed for people with soft water, as if Technivorm isn't even acknowledging that they have a problem with grounds distribution.  I still love it though.  And I have the black old-school Moccamaster Thermal.  Regardless of what other people say, I like how it looks.

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Quickshot... > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322442054749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+