Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Isomac Zaffiro Detailed Review
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Isomac Zaffiro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
b177y

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini, Quickmill...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Poppery I
Posted Mon Apr 30, 2007, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Isomac Zaffiro Detailed Review

I am wondering if the Quickmill Alexia  and the Zaffirio are the same machine, with the Alexia being the new "modern" version.  I bought an Alexia a couple of months ago and the looks and features seem exactly the same, with the Alexia having a few minor upgrades from Chris' Coffee.  Anybody know?

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:42pm

Like most E61-based prosumer machines, they share a lot of the same components, but no, one is made by Isomac and another by Quickmill.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jamesw

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID of course.
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: --
Drip: Braun
Roaster: none
Posted Sat May 26, 2007, 4:56am

the alexia is a straight clone of the zaffiro, only built with better quality.  BUT be wary of loose or disconnected boiler push-on connectors.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat May 26, 2007, 6:30am

jamesw Said:

the alexia is a straight clone of the zaffiro, only built with better quality.  BUT be wary of loose or disconnected boiler push-on connectors.

Posted May 26, 2007 link

In what way is the Alexia "better quality?" I thought it just had a few improved features, which is reason enough to buy it (and which make it not-quite-a-clone).

Marshall
b177y

Posted Sat May 26, 2007, 8:59am

jamesw Said:

Posted May 26, 2007 link

No problem with the connectors (yet?).  They seem sturdy though.

So, James and Marshall think its the same machine but Dan thinks they're (Zaffirio and Alexia) different. 2 to 1.  Anybody else want to weigh in?

The reason I am curious is that I would like to post a consumer review about the Alexia but so far my attempts to have it added to the database have failed.  If they are the same or similar enough machines, I will leave a review for the Alexia on the Zaffirio page.

Bill
MarshallF
MarshallF

Posted Sat May 26, 2007, 11:19am

b177y Said:

So, James and Marshall think its the same machine....

Posted May 26, 2007 link

Not quite. They are nearly identical designs built mostly with the same or very similar parts. I only questioned James' description of the Alexia as "better quality."

Chris got Quick Mill to design some improvements into their machine that make a stock Alexia a better machine than a stock Zaffiro. But, "better quality" implies better workmanship or sturdier components, which I do not believe is the case.

By the way, I'm not being a defensive Zaffiro owner. A friend recently asked me for an "espresso-only" recommendation, and I pointed him to the Alexia.
piuforte
piuforte

Espresso: Dalla Corte mini, Quickmill...
Grinder: MAHLKÖNIG K-30 Vario,...
Vac Pot: No
Drip: NO
Roaster: No
Posted Thu May 31, 2007, 4:28am

b177y Said:

I would like to post a consumer review about the Alexia but so far my attempts to have it added to the database have failed.  
Bill

Posted May 26, 2007 link

Hi Bill,
I do not quite understand. Does that mean that you have a review for the Alexia but it is not possible to post it? Why would that be?
I would certainly like to read it!
Arthur
b177y

Posted Thu May 31, 2007, 11:55am

piuforte Said:

Hi Bill,
I do not quite understand. Does that mean that you have a review for the Alexia but it is not possible to post it? Why would that be?
I would certainly like to read it!
Arthur

Posted May 31, 2007 link

There are only options for the Quickmill Vetrano, Anita and Andreja.  No place for an Alexia review yet.  I have put in the product request twice over the past 6 months with no luck.

Bill
HeyMrBassman
HeyMrBassman

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Solis Scala
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2007, 12:50pm

Hi,

About the heating up time for steaming:

Is it a good option to froth milk first, cool down by running water through and then pull the espresso?

I seriously consider bying this machine and work this way with my Saeco Aroma at this moment.
If this doesn't work with the Zaffiro I must reconsider...

I don't mind to have the frothed milk stayed for some time. A good swirl from time to time keeps it in an acceptable condition.
MarshallF
MarshallF

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2007, 3:18pm

HeyMrBassman Said:

Hi,

About the heating up time for steaming:

Is it a good option to froth milk first, cool down by running water through and then pull the espresso?

Posted August 15, 2007 link

No. It takes a looooong time to cool that big boiler down. If you run enormous amounts of water through the head to cool everything down, you will lose your temperature predictability and wind up refilling the tank every day or two.

Marshall
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Isomac Zaffiro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308922052383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+