Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Thermos Nissan Detailed Review
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2002, 8:43pm
Subject: Wow, no comments?

Wow... no comments so far. Maybe I made this one too long :)

I took over 320 photos for this review. A hella lot. There are some 56 used in the review alltogether. I haven't done a wordcount yet.

This review did go way overboard in some aspects - it involved more research than I've done for any other review, and more stats generating. The fact that I lost the cold temp results has really, really dismayed me... gotten me down even. I'm redoing the cold tests as I type, but I may not do it for all the products. Probably 6 or 8. I can only do two products a day.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeebeing
coffeebeing
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2002, 7:38am
Subject: Great article Mark...

I loved this review.  It was great to see someone reviewing a whole line of products.  It's exactly what I would want to see if I was in the market for a new thermos.  The "Can Thermos" sounds like a great gift because it's so versatile. Christmas shopping's in a couple of months and these would make great stocking stuffers!  Thanks for another fantastic job. (Shame about that hard drive crash tho...)

George W.
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2002, 9:39pm
Subject: What About Those Cups?

Mark- Great reviews. Very helpful and I'm gonna buy the TGS and the airpot (in spite of the glass).

You even mentioned that you used Schweppes Club Soda.  But how about the brands of cups?  Sure, Starbucks uses Solo but what do Tim Hortons and the Bread place use?  If you could identify the cup manufacture of those places it would help the rest of us in determining if the sleeve will be compatible with the cups at our local coffee shops.

And I'm aghast that the Starbuckies didn't know their Venti is 20oz, or realized that you can find the size and manufacturer by looking on the bottom of the cup's exterior ring!

Thanks!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2002, 1:43pm
Subject: Old Model at Ofice Depot

While I was on my beginning of the semester shopping spree in the USA, I found the old model of the can holder (Thermos model 2700) at Office Depot in Bellingham, WA for USD$14.99. I lacks the sipper lid, but still has the thin walls. I tried it out last night, and you are right, Mark, it *does* seem like the beverages get colder toward the end. I wonder what that's all about...
harbor_pirate
harbor_pirate

Espresso: Señor Giotto by ECM aka The...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini for the office,...
Vac Pot: Farberware Robot x2, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm KBT741 , Keurig...
Roaster: WB MK1 x 2
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2002, 4:55pm
Subject: I LOVE 'em!!!

I first purchased the regular briefcase bottle several months ago.  It has become part of my uniform !  Everyday I tote what amounts to two real coffee to work with me.  I can confirm Mark's note of an uninsulated cover.  It heats way up when filled.  I haven't taken any temps BUT I would argue that this little baby keeps my coffee hotter than the carafe that came with my CoffeeTEC!  

Soooooooo, my Zojirushi (sp?) Wide mouth of 5 years just ain't got what it had.  Off I go to eBay and I score a new 1.8L Nissan Stainless
HUZZAH!! What WINNER!  I brewed me up a pot in my Nicro 12-cupper this morning and dispensed it into the thermosat 0800.  It filled it to juuuuuust under where the cap stops.  My wife had a cup at some point and then it was forgotten.  WELL, I'm making prepes to head in to stand my watch when espy said thermos skulking in the shadows of kitchen shelves.  Time:1500.  Read that as 7 hours later.  Coffee was still Hot!!  Now mind you, it wasn't the McDonalds hot that my Nicro CAN provide but it was imminently drinkable.  I was pumped!!  And all for $22.00 US!!!

Life is good, the review was smokin', and I'm looking forward to more.

HP sends
Siempre buscando el buen café!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
guilbert

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2002, 8:12pm
Subject: Lacuna

I am mildly -- only mildly -- disappointed that Thermos Nissan did not provide you with any of their rebranded Rotpunkt models to make your review of the Thermos Nissan line complete.  As I note in my consumer review (of Thermos Nissan carafes) on this site, the Rotpunkt-made, Thermos Nissan branded,  thermal carafes are the best I have ever encountered.
growan_1998

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2002, 9:14am
Subject: Leaky tumbler?

I enjoyed the review of the Thermos Nissan line, and found it very helpful. Subsequently, I purchased a #JMH400 basic tumbler. It does a very good job. My one question is, is the top flap supposed to "click" when put in the closed position? Mine does not click closed at all, and it will spill very easily. Trying to determine if that is the design, or if I got a defective model.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2002, 11:54pm
Subject: JMH400 not leakproof

The JMH400 is not designed to be leakproof. The lid closure you describe sounds right. It's designed to prevent occasional spills, but hold it upside down and it will definitely leak.
beauraines

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Capresso C1000
Drip: Cuisinart Automatic Grind...
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2003, 11:43pm
Subject: Excellent review!

I quite enjoyed the level of detail in this review.  I'm definitely looking forward to future reviews.  I especially liked the temperature profiles - they appeal to the engineer in me.

And just to add my two cents to the review, I've had a Nissan Stainless tumbler for quite a few years.  It served me very well while I was stationed in Alaska.  My only complaint was that the outside would cool off to ambient temperatures (-40 degrees F) and I almost got frostbite holding the cup between my knees while driving.  I never had a problem with cold coffee, even in that environment.
 View Profile Link to this post
SilentBob

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: Cory Electric Auto
Drip: Manual pour-over
Roaster: Whirley-Pop
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2003, 5:02pm
Subject: Sold me!

I've had a Nissan Thermos travel mug for about 5 years, and recently ditched my auto-drip machine for the manual-pour-over method of brewing.  I shopped around for replacement carafes for auto-drip machines w/thermal carafes, but kept leaning toward the Nissan Thermos line.

I ended up buying the 1.5 litre thermal carafe, and am truly amazed at how long it keeps coffee hot!  So I paid too much ($45), but it is a beautiful thing.  Shaped like a penguin, and I'm thinking about painting a little tuxedo suit and penguin eyes/beak on it.  But that would cover too much of that beautiful stainless steel.

DO NOT USE SCOTCH-BRITE PADS ON THE EXTERIOR!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254534006119)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+