Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Solis Crema SL 70 Review
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Solis Crema SL...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: Solis Crema SL 70 Review

Solis Crema SL 70 Review

The Solis Crema SL-70 is a serious performer and a great value in the upper tier of the "budget" home espresso machine market.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 3:49pm
Subject: Great review

I've owned the SL70 for about a year now, and your review caught all the tricks it took me six months to learn - especially the longer shot, shorter espresso bit.

I hope the review steers people considering an upper end Saeco towards this machine. They'll be a lot happier.

Jim
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 3:53pm
Subject: *SL 70 Review*

Totally awesome review Mark!!!,it just blew me away,I'm speechless! {:-D
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
lizellis
lizellis

Espresso: Saeco Syntia Focus
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: BUNN ST Velocity Brew
Roaster: Behmor -  i-Roast 2
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 8:00pm
Subject: Re: Solis Crema SL 70 Review

As a recent purchaser of the Solis SL-70, I found this review to be incredibly helpful.  All the detail that Mark provides is sure to assist any new owner in getting the most from this machine.
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 4:26am
Subject: Non-pressurized PF baskets

I was struck by your statement "The Via Veneto scored poorly, thanks to the pressurized portafilter and my lack of a non-pressurized version to try and test." Try the Solis non- pressurized basket in the Saeco PF. It'll fit perfectly, I'll guarantee it. At present these baskets are available in Oz for A$5.00 each, they seem to be standard Italian "domestic machine" items.  

Alan
Madeleine

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Rebranded Via Veneto
Grinder: Santos (commercial behemoth)
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Ceramic one cup filter...
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 8:07am
Subject: Poor Old Via Veneto...

... really didn't get a fair shake, when there wasn't a non-pressurized PF basket to test it with. Although it's sadly down-market looking, it's not *that* bad.

That said, this was a grand review and my thanks go to Mark and his trusty team of testers for a whole raft of really useful information.

Madeleine "can you tell I own a Via Veneto, perchance?" Page
Franklin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SL70
Grinder: Maestro
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 9:22am
Subject: Great Review

As another proud SL70 owner, your review was right on.  Thanks!
I use the built in tamper, but noticed that if you want the PF to sit flat for tamping, you can cut off the lower part of the plastic filter holder so it can sit flat.  You then have to use your thumb to hold the filter in, rather than your index finger.

On the Saeco comment, I think Saeco's have the enhancer in the PF, whereas Solis has it in the filter basket.  I have read about people clipping the pin that holds the little disk to remove the enhancer from the Saeco PF.
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2002, 4:41am
Subject: Only if *ALL* consumer reviews could be like this!

Outstanding job. I own the SL90 & a Silvia and several things on the Solis design are very smart. The drip tray for one is, imho, a much better design to reduce puddling/roll-off/splashback/etc than Silvia's. It loses some points, perhaps, for being plastic. I had to slightly *tweak* (read: bend) my steam wand initially so that when opened the water stream fell between the vertical slats rather than directly on top of one, causing water to spray around. A slight bend of the arm corrected that fault.

The clear tank, as you have mentioned, is great. Easily removable, keeps the water temp much cooler (much more than Silvia-- an as an aside i've always wondered if the higher temps in some espresso machine water tanks might not be more prone to bacteria issues???) and the lavel can be checked w/ a quick glance even in low light.

The only real down sides I've found to my SL90 are: lack of 3-way, smaller PF and grouphead and some minor issues with the auto features (which i don't use anyway).

Excellent job Mark.
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2002, 5:42pm
Subject: Customer support/service

Forgot to mention one VERY key item. This machine is backed up by one of the best support teams out there. No one like to have a machine break, but even the best of them occasionally have problems. I can state for the record that I have never rec'd better service, advice and support on any product than i have w/ my DL90 thru Kyle and Josie of Baratza. In or out of warranty, I was still treated with top notch customer service. You can beat that at any price. When it comes time for a hot top roaster, i know where i'm going.
dew

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2002, 2:20pm
Subject: Wimpy switches

I have owned my SL-70 for almost 3 years now. Great machine except for the cheap plastic switches (Power, Pump and Steam). The main power switch fried itself after 13 months of light use. I replaced it with a heavy-duty steel one.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Solis Crema SL...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315983057022)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+