Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Ascaso Grinders Detailed Review
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Ascaso Grinders...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: Ascaso Grinders Detailed Review

Ascaso Grinders Detailed Review

CoffeeGeek has an indepth look at set of conical and flatt burr grinders coming out of Spain, and serving up the espresso-loving crowd of North America.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
erivera

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: CaffeRosto, Behmor 1600 Home...
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2002, 9:09am
Subject: Mazzer Mini

Mark, can't wait to read your detailed review for the Mazzer Mini!
ER
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2002, 12:48pm
Subject: Chute Clogging

Terrific review!

I'm beginning to consider a grinder upgrade, and the Innova sounds great - a high quality, highly adjustable grind.

But the chute clogging is a killer. It's a lot more serious flaw in a low volume home grinder, where the clogged grounds can sit for hours before being used, than it is for a commerial machine where they'll sit for just a few minutes.

And using a pointy stick to clear the chute -- that takes me back to my Briel nightmare.

I hope they fix it before I buy a mazzer mini in a moment of weakness.

Jim Schulman
La_Maudite
La_Maudite
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Deco-5
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Wed May 1, 2002, 10:36pm
Subject: Mazzer whit load sound clip

Hi Mark,

Fantastic work on the review! Let me just tell you that the hard working hours you put in those reviews do make a difference. I might buy an Innova Grinder this summer, and if I do I'll know exactly what to expect, goods and bads, thanks to CoffeeGeek.

Just wondering. I read in the review that the Mazzer Mini is quiet even when loaded. It looks like you intended to provide a sound clip, but there's no link. Just wanted to inform you of that. It's not really a big deal, but it could be interesting to listen to.

Thanks again.

Carl
jamesn

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Innova & Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: No
Roaster: HW Gourmet
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 6:40pm
Subject: Follow the cleaning instructions here to dial in

It was taking me ages to dial in the grinder using the instructions in the manual. I followed the cleaning instructions here and got pretty close first time.
Saved me a lot of time and coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
afx

Espresso: Cimbali M30 Bistro (WMF...
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Innova I.1
Drip: No thanks
Posted Sun Nov 23, 2003, 12:00pm
Subject: Looks like they changed it a bit or Europe has a differend Model.

I just upgraded from my old Turmix E20 which could not produce the fine enough grind for my Oscar.
Looks like the online stores in Germany do not sell the conical but only the flat burr version.
I definitely don't need the 30s noted in the review for a double. Not having timed it exactly, it is more in the below 20s range (hmm, does the voltage difference make a difference here?).
I am using the doserless version with the timer.  I only have about 3g old grinds at the top of the chute.
To me a noticable difference in the cup is about a 20-30 degree turn of the knob.
Overall a perfect match for the Oscar.
cheers
afx

Life is too short for bad coffee/wine/food  -  Project: www.crash.muc.de/wmf/
 View Profile Link to this post
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2007, 8:41pm
Subject: Re: Ascaso Grinders Detailed Review

I have an ancient grinder that uses the same support flask, burrs, burr supports, etc.  Lots of people have Gran Machininos etc (Same guts, generally) .  Anyone broken a motor yet in home use?

As to the holes in the plastic burr carrier: some older machines using the trespade burr set had a hard plastic cover with numbers on it.  Those covers had pegs which could be inserted into the eight inner holes, so that was a way to grossly index the zero point.  The same plastic burr carrier can be used with the Gran Machinino,  Nemox Lux etc.  the outer ring of holes are engaged with the stop pin. yielding 32 steps per revolution  Pretty big steps, perhaps too large for some.  For machines with the upper burr carrier exposed, there also used to be a rubber stopper which would fit into one of the outer holes, and over the teeth on the edge to prevent the worm drive from engaging at that point. Set the stopper into the hole you choose and the grinder now has a stop to prevent burr abuse, and unlike the current set up you can adjust the stop as you like!  Stopper is out of production now but you could carve one from a large neoprene stopper or fashion one out of wood

Yep, they are noisy, but the coffee rocks.  You can mod most of the trespade burr set machines to stepless for $32 worth of parts.

Note the Isomac Gran Machinino and Nemox Lux have wider spouts than the current Ascaso Models of this grinder, (The Ascaso1-3's pseudo-hip design rather than function-first design), and this wider spout lessens clogging, as does a moderate roast.  TheIsomac and nemox are stepped though

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Ascaso Grinders...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248121023178)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+