Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Saeco Via Veneto Detailed Review
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Saeco Via Veneto...  
view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Jun 13, 2000, 12:00am
Subject: Saeco Via Veneto Detailed Review

Saeco Via Veneto Detailed Review

When found as a sub $100 machine, there is no better, cheaper way to introduce adequate, maybe even good espresso into your home. Not meant as a long term investment, but can train you, and makes a great gift.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Hap

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Sun Nov 9, 2003, 5:07pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Via Veneto / Melitta Cafe Express Review

I picked one of these up for $100 to use at my office.  I was really impressed with the quality to say the least.  I made a couple OK shots right off, but noted that the double shot was better.  I assume this is because both singles and doubles use the same basket (the smaller basket is for pods only as stated in the manual).  The crema did have some bubbles in it however.   The next thing I did was remove the pressurizing parts on the portafilter to test how it works with various grinds and doses.  Right away I found that the double basket seems to have way too many holes in it to make it work very well for singles, no matter how fine I got the grind it flowed too quickly.  So I started testing with the so called Pod adaptor.  It actually worked quite well after I adjusted the my dose down and increased the fineness of the grind.  I used the machine that way for a week with very good results.  Then on a whim I put the pressurizing parts back in, and guess what?  The shot improved even more!  My idea is that with the pressurized portafilter it is hard to know if what you are doing is improving anything, but disableing it allows you to find the proper grind and dose.  Then after that, enable the pressurized portafilter and it just gives it a bit more help.  And after all this the crema looked really great (guiness effect and all!) without any foamy bubbles.  The crema was very smooth and long lasting, I tested a shot by letting it sit and it finally was mostly dissapated in a half hour.  All in all a great little machine for the money.  If I was going to use this at home I would maybe go for the unpressurized portafilter, but at work It works great the way it is without much fuss.
baltfest

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:05pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Via Veneto Detailed Review

So, I have 2 questions...  

1. I went to the Saeco-usa website, but I was only able to find the pressurized portafilter.  The review talks about replacing the pressurized portafilter with the unpressurized portafilter... where exactly do I find that?

2. I haven only perhiperally investigated doing this, but how do I remove the frother from the steaming wand in the way the review suggests?  I just couldn't figure it out!  

Thanks!
Brad
 View Profile Link to this post
jaanpht

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon May 15, 2006, 4:38pm

you dont have to buy extra portafilter. Its easy to turn off 3 screws of pressurized original portafilter and remove plastic "stick" (sm. attached picture), just press the edges that hold this stick in its place. After that my coffee tastes much better and crema is very microtextured, not that thick as before, though.

jaanpht: post.jpg
(Click for larger image)
AngloAm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Via Veneto
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2007, 9:21am

I just bought this and I think it's pretty good for a beginner like me but I have a question - what am I supposed to do with this odd blue tube and fat contraption coming out the side? I can foam milk fine with my 'steam toy' - is there a way to get rid of this pesky contraption and just have a normal wand? I don't have the room in my kitchen to have the 'steam toy' for steaming milk and the Via Veneto for making the coffee when my partner wants a cappuccino. Can anyone please help?
andyandrews35

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Wed Oct 1, 2008, 5:45am

A pretty accurate review.  I have just owned one for three years, and it is beginning to have problems staying up to temperature, even immed. after a descaling.  It does come back very quickly, but now can only make one single shot at a time, just barely.

One can make an excellent espresso using this machine.  Mine came with some really nice ceramic cups and pitcher.   I would buy again if I could get the same set.
alemarengo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 5:57am

Hi there!
Could you possibly tell me if the portafilter measures 53mm?
I have to purchase a tamper for my girlfriend's Via Veneto one (italian market) and I'd like to know which is the exact diameter, even if I measured it with a school ruler.
Thanks in advance, bye!
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Saeco Via Veneto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228150129318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+