Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
*Another Canadian Green Bean Retailer*
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > *Another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Aug 14, 2002, 6:55pm
Subject: Re: *Another Canadian Green Bean Retailer*

CafeBeaud Said:

Don't get me wrong there my friend 8-)  When I said finally, I was not ranting about the delivery at all, in fact I was most pleased with the fact that it took just 4 days.  But as you know that morning I had sent an email to them asking if they could change my order because I tought they were out of Pluma Altura, in the end (finally) I was the one who had the last of it. (yeah !)

Anyway, if it's not raining too much this weekend, I surely will roast the Aroma Nica.  I tend to roast on the dark side, how did you do yours ?  First time I'll be drinking coffee from Nicaragua.

I'm still itching  8^)>

Posted August 14, 2002 link

That's cool Steve, No not getting you wrong,(Sorry man,I didn't mean to imply it). That's why I put the Big laugh face! I wonder if the Mexican Pluma Altura is anything like the Mexican Chiapas? It's great you got some,the last 2lbs,good stuff! hehe!! Sweetmarias cupping page (all their green's) is the best I've seen anywhere...Altura's probably there, I'll check the ratings.  It's great reading about all the varietals there,Tom really has a very descriptive way with words,& the pictures of the farms & beautiful countries. I roasted it to Full City, 15-20 secs into second crack,no divots,no first oil. When the cup cools down,I'm getting a light bittersweet,maybe milk chocolate taste! It's the first time I've tried it too,& I like this coffee. Cheers Steve!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafebeaud
cafebeaud

Espresso: Epoca S1 tank
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Next purchase (I think)
Drip: No I'm not...
Roaster: FreshRoast
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2002, 3:33am

CraigA Said:

That's cool Steve, No not getting you wrong,(Sorry man,I didn't mean to imply it). That's why I put the Big laugh face!  

Posted August 14, 2002 link

Craig
No harm taken as I know none was intended 8^)>

Did you roast your Nica in the Precision, the Gourmet or the new Alp ?

Do you still homebrew ? I am a former member of CAMRA and AHA , I don't brew anymore but I still drink good beer.  In 87 or 86 (not sure, God I am getting old) won second place in the Montreal CAMRA brewing contest just behind Bob Gainey (hockey player).  I just might take it up again if I ever get more space.  Sold all my equipement to an Anglican Pastor up here in Baie-Comeau, the man does make a heavenly brew 8-)>
Cheers

CafeBeaud
Silvia/Mazzer Mini/Alp/HWP
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2002, 8:11am

I haven't homebrewed for a couple of years.My CAMRA membership expired & CABA. I never renewed them a while back.In 1984 (1st year for CABA) the Canadian Amatuer Brewers Association,I won the Fuggles & Goldings Best Brewer trophy,1986 CABA Best Porter,Best Stout,Best of Show. The competition "Best Of " was judged by none other than the worlds foremost beer guru Michael Jackson. Points totals for these two contests earned me the title Master Brewer.Been a lifetime! member of the AHA (American Homebrewer's Association) since Dec/84.

Great on your win! I'm the same age as you (I hear ya Steve!),but we're always young at heart,right? We're just Big kids!! I'd like to start up brewing again too,I miss the great beers we can create! Oh yeah...Back to coffee.. The two roasts of Nica I did in the Precision,Full City. Third roast in the Alp,but I was distracted & cut the roast 2-3 mins early,but it still came out okay,a little bright,(slight bite) but it developed better with a longer rest at day 2 onwards.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DavidEmpey

Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Solis SL-70
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Cheap Proctor-Silex
Roaster: Hearthware Innovation...
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2002, 2:00pm

Hasbeans isn't new - there used to sell green beans elsewhere in London, as part of a larger deli/coffee type shop.  It disappeared a couple of years ago - it is good to see them back.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2002, 2:56pm

DavidEmpey Said:

Hasbeans isn't new - there used to sell green beans elsewhere in London, as part of a larger deli/coffee type shop.  It disappeared a couple of years ago - it is good to see them back.

Posted August 18, 2002 link

Hi David,When I ordered 30lbs I visited (Aug 4) & spent a great 1 1/2hrs till after closing with Paul L Smith.We talked about home roasting,coffee varietals, lot's of stuff. A very nice man & a pleasant visit.He didn't mention this other shop, but said he was in the old Covent Garden Market,I think 4 years, before they tore it down to build the present one. He's been in business since 1969!,that predates S***$'s by 2 years! Like you said,it's great to see him back & have a new source for competatively priced green beens. Cheers!

DavidEmpey

Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Solis SL-70
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Cheap Proctor-Silex
Roaster: Hearthware Innovation...
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2002, 3:44pm

I'm guessing he went from the old market to the other location - he was not originally in the new market building when it opened.  I'm not sure how long he has been back in the market, the NewPL presence he is associated with is about 2 years old I think.

The Little Red Roaster, also in the market (just north of Hasbeans) also roasts on site, and I think they sell green beans as well, though only on-site.  I'll have to ask the next time I'm in the market.

CraigA Said:

Hi David,When I ordered 30lbs I visited (Aug 4) & spent a great 1 1/2hrs till after closing with Paul L Smith.We talked about home roasting,coffee varietals, lot's of stuff. A very nice man & a pleasant visit.He didn't mention this other shop, but said he was in the old Covent Garden Market,I think 4 years, before they tore it down to build the present one. He's been in business since 1969!,that predates S***$'s by 2 years! Like you said,it's great to see him back & have a new source for competatively priced green beens. Cheers!

Posted August 18, 2002 link

View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2002, 5:20pm

David,I should have mentioned that in the last post(2yrs) I thought it was here,but it's on the alt thread Aug 3,4,thanks for mentioning them. Like you said,they're about 15 yards across the way, in the market! Paul gets his "Aroma Nica" from them.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2002, 6:31am

Steve, Keep us posted on your weekend roasts. Hopefully you didn't get rained out. Cheers!

cafebeaud
cafebeaud

Espresso: Epoca S1 tank
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Next purchase (I think)
Drip: No I'm not...
Roaster: FreshRoast
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2002, 12:30pm

CraigA Said:

Steve, Keep us posted on your weekend roasts. Hopefully you didn't get rained out. Cheers!

Posted August 19, 2002 link

No rain saturday, it was in fact a hot one but very nice so I set up the Alp and roasted the 2 pounds of Aroma Nica (by the way, what does Nica mean ? ).  Had a little bit of problems with the temperature of the ALP (as always) but all in all I was quite pleased with my roast, brought it up just at the beginning of the second crack.  I did miss a batch and it was a little shiny.    I tasted the coffee the next morning, and I really find it great, a long aftertaste (caramel,chocolate? )I am impressed, really !  Lots of crema and I mean lots of crema.  Now all I have to do is order more, try different roast and I will surely use it for an espresso blend.  This coffee really has body and consistence.

A must try for every homeroasters.

CafeBeaud
Silvia/Mazzer Mini/Alp/HWP
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2002, 7:29pm

Your discription of the Aroma Nica is exactly what I thought. I thought about "Nica" for a while too. It was staring me right in the face.The "Nica" is just short form of their country, Nicaragua (I would think).
The picture below is one of the farms, La Union.I have a news letter from the owner/director that I picked up at the New Day Cafe/Hasbeans. (I don't know her title),Maria Fiallos.There are 9 growers in the "Aroma Nica" family.The area is Las Sabanas.It is her grandfather's coffee.

CraigA: 4.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > *Another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304682970047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+