Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Mild Coffee suggestions ?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Mild Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JTucker

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2009, 6:39pm
Subject: Mild Coffee suggestions ?

Can anyone recommend a "mild" Coffee ? I find most good Coffees to be rather strong. I also don't care for a smokey taste in my Coffee.  Any ideas ?  I have a drip coffee maker and an Aeropress that I just bought last week.  Maybe I'm just used to the stuff at work that we call Coffee !
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 14, 2009, 8:38pm
Subject: Re: Mild Coffee suggestions ?

JTucker Said:

Can anyone recommend a "mild" Coffee ? I find most good Coffees to be rather strong. I also don't care for a smokey taste in my Coffee.  Any ideas ?  I have a drip coffee maker and an Aeropress that I just bought last week.  Maybe I'm just used to the stuff at work that we call Coffee !

Posted October 14, 2009 link

Welcome to the Coffee Geek Forum.

Here's what I would suggest:

1.  Don't buy dark-roasted beans.  You can often tell 'dark-roast' as they are very dark brown and oily.

2.  Usually the kind of beans don't matter as much as the level of roast.  Maybe ...try Columbian Supreme, which is often a plain, sort of pedestrian coffee.

3.  If your coffee still tastes too strong, try using less coffee.  Or else, if you are grinding your own, grind coarser.  Or else, if you have control over your brewing time, brew for (say) 3 minutes instead of 4 minutes.

Keep in the back of your mind that, as you get deeper and deeper into coffee geekiness, your tastes will develop and change significantly.  You will begin to like stronger coffee.  You will discover new flavors, such as chocolate or burnt caramel which you never noticed before ...wich don't appear unless your brew reaches a certain strength.

Good luck ...!!

Jerry
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 5:22am

JKalpin Said:

try using less coffee

Posted October 14, 2009 link

funny paradox here.

A lot of the bitter yuck coffee (apart from being grocery store robusta) is made worse becuase people want to decrease the bitterness by using less coffee/more water--as if the coffee is the culprit

assuming the coffee is not the culprit becuase you're using fresh, quality coffee:

too little coffee/too much water is more likely the culprit! (this may be a mind-bender for some who think coffee=naturally awful, so use less)

you may find that a coffee that's mediocre at best when brewed with 8 oz with 2 tablespoons totally transforms with 4-6 oz of water and the same amount of coffee

(As baristas who've experimented tasting the stages of the pull know, you don't want to drink the stuff comin' through toward the end. You need to find the "cut-off" mark--or in the case of drip, how much coffee : water--the ratio.)

If you can isolate the last 2 or 3 ounces or so from your drip, taste it and decide if you want that gall mixed with your brew.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 6:40am

Visit Caracolillo Coffees of Tampa, Florida.  Their beans give a mild brew.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Oct 17, 2009, 7:17pm

When you say mild, you probably want something roasted on the lighter side.  What coffees are you using now?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 6:05am

First of all, don't buy your coffee from Starbucks if you don't want a 'smokey' flavor.  For a mild coffee, and I'm assuming you mean flavor rather than acidity, any light roasted Central or South American bean should be good.  Try to find a local roaster first.  If you have a Whole Foods Market, most of these fresh roast coffee as well, and have a good selection.
RoastinRyan
RoastinRyan

Roaster: Diedrich IR12
Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 9:33am

You can usually get a 'mild' flavor regardless of degree of roast. The best is to find a origin that has a green bean profile which lends itself well to what you are looking for. Central & South Americans are typical of this 'mild' flavor (though some don't qualify). Try a Costa Rican (Naranjo Cattelya Especial is nice) or a Guatemalan Antigua. If you have a small local roaster contact them and maybe you can have them change the roast profile to your liking... keep trying new roasts of the same bean till you get it right. If the 'mild' flavor you want is due to acidity switch gears and try out some Indonesian origins. Try a Papua New Guinea and it may suit you on both accounts. Good luck.

Remember... as said in a prior post. If it is prepared wrong then that is your culprit... for sure.
Dunbar42

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:54am

RoastinRyan Said:

You can usually get a 'mild' flavor regardless of degree of roast.

Posted October 18, 2009 link

I would simply add that once you get to Vienna roast (dark oily bean) then you start getting that burnt charcoal taste synonymous with Starbucks. I disagree with others who say that a light (city) roast is mild. IMO a Central or South American coffee roasted to FC+ (dark brown but not oily) is about as mild as you're going to get.
JTucker

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 24, 2009, 5:31am

sweaner Said:

When you say mild, you probably want something roasted on the lighter side.  What coffees are you using now?

Posted October 17, 2009 link

I was drinking Coffee from Arco (roasted in Superior, WI) which had a mild flavor. I recently went to Costco and bought a bag of their house blend which was roasted by Starbucks for Costco.  I think this was what made me post this question.  I went to a local grocery co-op that sell's health food and they had locally roasted Costa-Rican coffee beans that were not so dark as most of their other beans. I picked up some of this and I really like that. It has none of that burnt, charcoal flavor ! Thanks for the advice everyone.
RoastinRyan
RoastinRyan

Roaster: Diedrich IR12
Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009, 6:57pm

Glad you found one you enjoy!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Mild Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318212032318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+