Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Victor coffee mugs--Yes!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sun Sep 11, 2011, 1:15pm
Subject: Victor coffee mugs--Yes!

In all my years of coffee enjoyment and discovery, I made one of my more exciting discoveries a couple weeks ago: Victor coffee mugs.

They have an intriguing history (bits and pieces online). Those of you who are a generation (or two) older than I are more likely to know about them. I had an interesting discovery of them while visiting a (vacant) relative's house. From the moment I picked up one of them and then used it, I knew there was something special about them.

The thickness is incomparable, the weight is amazing (1 pound, 4.75 ounces!!). The capacity is perfect for my use (6 ounces with a touch of room, 7 to the absolute rim). They appear almost as large as a typical mug, but because of their thickness, the capacity is what it is.

High-five to those of you who've known for about these incomparable mugs for a long time. And for those of you who, like me, had never heard of these mugs until recently--and you like their parameters--get in on them!

I've found my end-all everyday coffee mugs! Their practicality, weight, thickness, and rich history make them, for me, a really exciting find.

P.S. There are more "victor" imitations than there are authentic ones, which are no longer made. Learn how to distinguish the authentic from the imitators.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: Victor coffee mugs--Yes!

Can you post a picture of one?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 5:17pm

Your post brings back memories. I live a 30 min drive away from the Victor Insulator factory. Thirty years ago a friend took me out there on a Sunday in October. One could walk around in the back lot and rummage through giant heaps of discarded ceramics. With persistence, every once in a while you'd find a Victor mug in good condition, except perhaps for a tiny cosmetic imperfection. We rescued about 15 good mugs in an hour and brought them home, proud souvenirs of a fun afternoon.

But I gave all them away years later -- they were too thick and clunky. I prefer a lighter, more graceful mug!  :)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 5:49pm

Victor stature

lifeandpeace: Victor stature.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.lampmode.com
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 5:50pm

Victor imprint

lifeandpeace: Victor imprint.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.lampmode.com
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 5:55pm

andys Said:

Your post brings back memories. I live a 30 min drive away from the Victor Insulator factory. Thirty years ago a friend took me out there on a Sunday in October. One could walk around in the back lot and rummage through giant heaps of discarded ceramics. With persistence, every once in a while you'd find a Victor mug in good condition, except perhaps for a tiny cosmetic imperfection. We rescued about 15 good mugs in an hour and brought them home, proud souvenirs of a fun afternoon.

But I gave all them away years later -- they were too thick and clunky. I prefer a lighter, more graceful mug!  :)

Posted September 12, 2011 link

Andy,

Funny--I read a very similar story online about people rummaging around back there!

You're right about the weight and thickness: they are incomparably thick and heavy (1 1/4 pound). I think ergonomics are a big part of enjoying a mug or glass. But ergonomics are definitely a subjective preference. And these I  r e a l l y  like!

. . . but then perhaps my dainty Bodum Mezzo Veneziano would be better suited for a CR or a Central!

www.lampmode.com
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 6:12pm

Starting lineup

Unfortunately one didn't survive the shipping. However, it now serves as a great shaving mug!

lifeandpeace: Starting lineup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.lampmode.com
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 7:21pm

Thanks for the pics!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011, 9:41am

I love the picture of the mug next to the cassette tape (now that screams of an era gone by).

I have a couple of the hugely thick Intelly mugs and like them quite a bit.  Perhaps "too thick" for some.

I find myself preferring a mug with a turned out lip, flat sides seem to always drip and run for me.

Either way, I may just drop a few bucks for some these, just for fun.

I'm the kind of guy that can't walk past any coffee mug without picking it up and testing its feel and weight.  Its how I found the ones I adore...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
coffeefan101

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011, 5:38pm

You stated in the OP that there are no authentic ones made anymore. So does that mean you can't purchase them anymore? I feel like I need to have one now!
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298933982849)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+