Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
On the road - who makes "acceptable" coffee
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > On the road -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clskier

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 12:50pm
Subject: On the road - who makes "acceptable" coffee

Hi all.  New coffee drinker here.  I thought my whole life that I did not like coffee.  Turns out I just don't like BAD coffee.  With tips from here and elsewhere I am brewing a pretty decent cup at home.  Nothing special; just taking care with fresh beans, quality grinder, and a french press.  I quickly went from hating coffee to liking it, and now crave it.  Had a few cups from a Keurig style coffee maker and enjoyed that when away from my tools at home, so I thought my taste for coffee was stronger than bad coffee.  That is until this weekend.

Away from home at a hotel.  Went to breakfast and had the worst coffee ever.  Weak, burnt, and bitter.  My friends all said I was now a coffee snob.  So that brings up a question.  When on the road, what places make an "OK" cup.  I seem to remember BP and Dunkin Donuts bragging that they make a "good cup".  I know this is all relative, but what places make a cup of coffee on par with say a Keurig type brewer?
 View Profile Link to this post
jaypunkrawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Frieling press, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 8:45pm
Subject: Re: On the road - who makes "acceptable" coffee

I'd say bring your own stuff with you and brew or search for coffee shops that use freshly roasted beans.  Have them French press or do a pour-over brew for you instead of getting it from the big urn.  I've noticed a lot of good coffees are ruined because too much water has been used to brew it for the urn or air pot.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DrugOfChoice

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Clever...
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 12:14pm

When I'm away from home, I tend to temper my expectations. If it's hot, wet and has caffeine in it, I'm relatively satisfied. If it tastes really good, that's a bonus.

Bad coffee is like bad sex. It's still better than nothing ;-).

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
StereoHeathen

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: "Starbucks" Baratza Maestro
Drip: Bee House, Clever
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 6:33pm

DrugOfChoice Said:

Bad coffee is like bad sex. It's still better than nothing ;-).

Posted May 12, 2012 link

I would tend to disagree, on both counts. But, whatever floats your boat!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 6:33am

I like to go down into the regional forum for where I am traveling. I will look for posts for the area and if I can't find any, I ask. Sometimes you get good answers, sometimes you don't.

You can also Yelp the area. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. I look more for places people say are horrible than worry about ones people say are good so I know what to avoid.

You might to find a nice third wave place, but you might find a decent local/regional chain that roasts their own but let's them go a bit longer than they should or who has a slightly old fashioned roast profile but where it is still not too bad.

Coffee Bean in the South West and Caribou in the North East are palatable and both are significantly better than having to resort to *$.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 12:40pm

Third wave shops will be few and far between. There are few chains that I find I can even tolerate anymore. That said, there are a lot of independent shops that are not as good as the chains!

On the road, I will take my own equipment and beans. I tend to take an Aeropress or a Harrio drip, and / or a Mypressi and a water kettle. A solis 166 handles drip duties and Mypressi with the pressurized basket for OK results (MUCH better than chains for sure!)

For a quick stop and gulp because you are falling asleep at the wheel, most AM/PM mini markets tend to have OK drip when it is fresh (smell the pot before pouring into a cup then visit the cream/sugar bar on your way to pay)

In the SW U.S. I find the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and It's a Grind chains to not be undrinkable if you shop wisely.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 10:20am

When I am traveling I just don't have the time to bring equipment to brew my own.  My typical routine is to go to the breakfast buffet and take a sip.  If I don't spit it across the room then I just roll with that.  I find that most areas you travel to for business don't have any quality cafe's or you don't have time to find them.  If you did spit your coffee across the room, calmly walk out the door and try to locate a Dunkin - it's drinkable and their pretty common.  In the Mid Atlantic, Wawa is also not spit inducing.

One nice thing about drinking mediocre coffee on the road is that you appreciate your own so much more when you come home!
ptorregrossa00
ptorregrossa00
Expertise: Pro Barista

Vac Pot: Breville Barista Express...
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 2:55pm

When in a new area you usually cant go wrong with Dunkin Donuts. Also, and way over priced there is always Starbucks they usually taste the same everywere so if you like one then your good.

www.buyespressotampers.com
pogo
pogo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Kitchen Aid
Vac Pot: Cory Gasketless
Drip: Bunn BXB, modified
Roaster: Propane fired 1lb rotary...
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 3:41am

The Waffle House has a decent cup of coffee. At least you won't spit it out, and they keep it fresh.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > On the road -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260328054428)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+