Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Drinking coffee black
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Drinking coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Drinking coffee black

ladymath Said:

I love coffee with cream and espresso drinks with whole milk. I usually buy dark coffees such as Peet's Sumatra. For calorie reasons, I'm now drinking coffee black and after 10 months I still don't like it. Any suggestions for beans, roasts, suppliers or brewing methods? I usually use a Krups grind and brew drip maker.

Posted May 27, 2012 link

Very simple answer. You prefer your coffee with milk. Or cream. Simple. Now remember, most of us don't get fat by drinking coffee with milk. We get fat by eating too much junk--like pizza, sweets, etc. Also by too large portions at meals. This is good news for you. Your coffee is the one thing you CAN'T compromise. Forget it. You'll never learn to like black coffee if your genes say otherwise. Find another area of your diet to restrict calories. It ain't worth messing with that one enjoyment in life---COFFEE!
 View Profile Link to this post
century

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5
Drip: Chemex 8 Cup
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 10:33am

frankthecrank Said:

Very simple answer. You prefer your coffee with milk. Or cream. Simple. Now remember, most of us don't get fat by drinking coffee with milk. We get fat by eating too much junk--like pizza, sweets, etc. Also by too large portions at meals. This is good news for you. Your coffee is the one thing you CAN'T compromise. Forget it. You'll never learn to like black coffee if your genes say otherwise. Find another area of your diet to restrict calories. It ain't worth messing with that one enjoyment in life---COFFEE!

Posted May 29, 2012 link

I agree, if you dont like it after 10 months you'll never like it.
Skip the cream, stick with the milk.
frankthecrank

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 10:46am

OMG! I didn't realize I was talking to a woman! Then I saw your screen name. Sorry. I shouldn't have used the word 'fat'. I thought I was addressing another guy. I mean it. SORRY! (fail)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 12:47pm

frankthecrank Said:

OMG! I didn't realize I was talking to a woman! Then I saw your screen name. Sorry. I shouldn't have used the word 'fat'. I thought I was addressing another guy. I mean it. SORRY! (fail)

Posted May 29, 2012 link

LOL.  You screwed up big time.  You should have used the phrase "full-figured".

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ladymath

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 3:42pm

LOL Your apology is more offensive to a feminist than calling me fat! And I was fat. After losing 80+ pounds, not fat anymore. But keeping it off is the hard part, and "cream creep" is likely to do me in. Have the cream for my coffee, then throw some in a scrambled egg, how about a cream soup.... You see where this can lead.

So far I dialed back the strength of the brew, just using the setting on the coffeemaker. Actually made a noticeable difference although I'm not sure if it changed the grind or the quantity of coffee.

I've ordered a couple of different medium and medium/dark coffees from Barefoot through GoCoffeeGo.

When I'm not rushing around at 6 a.m. getting ready to go to school to teach, I'll use my other burr grinder and the Aeropress or a French Press. That's part of what summer vacations are for.

Thanks all of you, for the help.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 5:33pm

ladymath Said:

LOL Your apology is more offensive to a feminist than calling me fat! And I was fat. After losing 80+ pounds, not fat anymore. But keeping it off is the hard part, and "cream creep" is likely to do me in. Have the cream for my coffee, then throw some in a scrambled egg, how about a cream soup.... You see where this can lead.

So far I dialed back the strength of the brew, just using the setting on the coffeemaker. Actually made a noticeable difference although I'm not sure if it changed the grind or the quantity of coffee.

I've ordered a couple of different medium and medium/dark coffees from Barefoot through GoCoffeeGo.

When I'm not rushing around at 6 a.m. getting ready to go to school to teach, I'll use my other burr grinder and the Aeropress or a French Press. That's part of what summer vacations are for.

Thanks all of you, for the help.

Posted May 29, 2012 link

+1.  Its good to see that the PC thought control movement has not turned everyone into sheep just yet.

How very refreshing!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 5:41pm

Barefoot does good coffee.

And I grew up drinking coffee with milk or cream. My father still does it but not as much as he used to. I don't think to taste, he just doesn't want it to look dark brown.

I drink my coffee black though, no matter where I get it. I know some say that if they get crappy coffee, like a a diner, they have to doctor it. I don't. It's not the same as the good stuff though.

Playing with your settings on a machine you are comfortable with is the start. Fresher coffee is next. And good luck in your search.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Drinking coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29066491127)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+