Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Roasted Harrar availability
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Roasted Harrar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bthomasb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 11:12am
Subject: Roasted Harrar availability

Does anyone know why there appears to be very little (roasted) Harrar available for sale right now?

I have been looking all over the internets and can find practically nothing. None of my usual favorite roasters (Paradise, Metropolis, Red Bird, Barrington, Counter Culture... ) are offering it. But Yirgacheffe and Sidama are all over the place.

I know Harrar harvests and processing can have delays - in some instances until the fall. But I would suppose some stock from prior years would still be around.

When I can occasionally find something it's usually out of stock or from an obscure corner of somewhere and suspiciously cheap (and only one or two instances of this).

Sorry if this is well known for some reason or it belongs in a different forum.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 5:43pm
Subject: Re: Roasted Harrar availability

Can't answer your question..but I have to say that most of the Harrar I've had this year I've found to be been pretty below-average. Whether professional roasted, or roasted myself.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:34am

An Ottawa, ON, Canada based micro roaster "Bridghead" always has Harrar for sale online.  By far the BEST roasted coffee I have ever had.

Click Here (www.bridgehead.ca)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 11:18am

I did a quick search of a few roasters I know and found this one. I have not personally ordered coffee from Kifu or Jeremy (the owner) but I know the guys on HB gave him a thumbs up. He is also an active member of the online coffee community I know he is a member of HB, GCBC but I 'm not sure if he hangs around here.

Click Here (www.kifubeans.com)
bthomasb

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:13pm

Thanks a lot, Evan!

That makes some sense. Maybe it was a bad harvest year. I know that over the last few years that was keeping a lot of the American buyers away from a lot of Kenyas they normally buy up.

One local roaster told me that they don't find natural dried coffees to last as well as washed, even while green. That their optimal life window was fairly short by comparison and he considered his offering only good now whereas it had been great a few months back.
bthomasb

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:18pm

Thanks for the tips, Chris and Robert. I'll definitely look at those roasters. I definitely didn't know either of them.

I'm still a little puzzled why finding roasted Harrar takes so much digging - and then only a few roasters turn up. Obviously Yirgacheffe and Sidama are everywhere.

I did hear and surmise half rumors about how a lot of people used to get their Harrar from the Ethiopian export coffee seller MAO Horse. But then the owner died and the industry was reorganized there to be a little more similar to Kenyas when it comes to the organization of selling - not always to good effect.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:27pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Can't answer your question..but I have to say that most of the Harrar I've had this year I've found to be been pretty below-average. Whether professional roasted, or roasted myself.

Posted August 30, 2012 link

I have to concur here. For us semi-oldtimers, IMO there hasn't been a really exceptional harar for several years, since the incredible "LOT 30", nicknamed the "blueberry bomb" sold by Sweet Marias (as green coffee.) In some part this is due to unfortunate weather patterns, and instability in the Ethiopian coffee market, which is somewhat controlled by the government.

I've ordered a Harrar every year, and not once has it come close the the terrific Sidamas and Yergs available.
Perhaps next year, there will be more Idido Misty Valley, the DP Korate, or this year's funky sweet Konga.

Edit: I should also mention that the passing of Mohammed Ogsadey (sp), a very popular and trusted exporter also hindered the trade.
If you see a coffee called "MAO" it would be connected to him, or now a son.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:30am

Actually it's been quite a good year for Harars, but unfortunately a bad year (or two) for Yemens. Most of the best DP Ethiopians are ending up in Saudi Arabia, where they have both proximity and purchasing power.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nroot

Grinder: Modded Hario Mini-Mill Slim
Drip: Aeropress, Bodum
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 8:20pm

IMAWriter Said:

Perhaps next year, there will be more Idido Misty Valley...

Posted September 5, 2012 link

Are you hearing this from someone, or is this hopeful thinking? :)
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 5:08am

Bridgehead sells very consistent Harrar at a good price.  When you crack open the bag you can smell blueberry!  If your worried about availability have you considered buying a home roaster and grabbing some green harrar? The Greenbeanery in Toronto sells Harrar, Yerg and I think Sidamo wholesale.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Roasted Harrar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270118951797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+