Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Italian roast
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Italian roast  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
wide_palate

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 5:44pm
Subject: Italian roast

Is their other names used for same roast?I like starbucks italian roast but $9 for a small bag gets expensive after awhile.I don't get why starbucks gets so much hate.If their coffee was so awful they wouldn't be as popular as they are.Anyway,I like this roast & am wondering if other names are used on this roast.
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 6:24pm
Subject: Re: Italian roast

Nothing is better than Starbucks. They are so popular because they are the best, definitely not because of commonplace consumers who don't know any better and easily buy into marketing hype. No that is not the reason. Their Italian roast is the prime rib of coffee drinking. There are no substitutions. If it is too expensive for you, you need to get a better job so you can afford it. Enjoy.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 7:44pm

Starbucks gets so many negative comments because they are enormously successful and are able to get a premium price for a product that almost all coffee aficionados rate as poor in comparison to craft espresso cafes.  

Starbucks' leadership claims of inventing coffee products, techniques or processes long in use by others - and the redefinitions of classic terms such as "macchiato" - only rub salt in the wounds.
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 12:52am

thanks Evan!!!!!    for the laughs  huh huh huh huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 2:05am

Another word for Italian roast is espresso roast. It's a very dark brown roast which results in shiny beans that have burnt tones, with their acidity almost gone. Even though it's the traditional degree of roasting for so called espresso blends, it doesn't mean by far that you need it for brewing espresso. You can use any lighter roasts just as well and some might even say better.

There's a reason why some people ironically also call it the Charbuck's roast!

Why is McDonald's so successfull even though their restaurants never received a star in the Guide Michelin for outstanding cuisine? It's an outrage! ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 7:40am

I've always known it as "Italian Espresso Roast" which comes after "French Roast" in the roasting process.  If one proceeds further during the roast process you will get a "Spanish Roast", then after that just totally burnt beans.  

Worth mentioning:  If you are thinking about roasting your own you should note that only very experienced roasters should attempt to do the darker Vienna, French, Italian Espresso Roast, and Spanish Roast due to fire occurance issues.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 8:49am

wide_palate Said:

Is their other names used for same roast?I like starbucks italian roast but $9 for a small bag gets expensive after awhile.I don't get why starbucks gets so much hate.If their coffee was so awful they wouldn't be as popular as they are.Anyway,I like this roast & am wondering if other names are used on this roast.

Posted September 8, 2012 link

Popular b/c 99% of what they sell is flavored/sugar loaded/milk'd etc coffee and the masses flock to that "marketing" of coffee in droves. People get a loaded caramel frap or whatever and to them thats "coffee" when you can't even taste the coffee with everything they've added lol. Makes bad coffee tolerable. Try getting an espresso shot (out of a blahhh superautomatic none the less), or drink their coffee just straight black and you'll see just how bad their coffee is vs a decent roaster. Plus Charbucks beans by the time you get them are basically already stale.

And their not cheap either buying their beans, I have a few places around me that roast their own and charge less or about the same/slightly more in some cases then what Charbucks charges for their beans. It's like comparing a McDonalds burger to an awesome gourmet Wagu or Kobe beef burger.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 10:13am

You know, I think we should all just go to our local starbucks, open their door and just fart in it and be done with it all.

Seriously.  And then just move on.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Tifoso

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Melitta
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 2:59pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You know, I think we should all just go to our local starbucks, open their door and just fart in it and be done with it all.

Seriously.  And then just move on.

Len

Posted September 9, 2012 link

Good idea Len.

And while you're at it, you might as well light it in case they're serving an underdone batch.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 4:54pm

Tifoso Said:

Good idea Len.

And while you're at it, you might as well light it in case they're serving an underdone batch.

Posted September 9, 2012 link

You may be on to something.  Farts are predominately methane, a Biogas.  Honestly it may be a good sell at Starbucks, you know being Green and all.  If you own their stock I would definitely bring it up at their next stockholders meeting.  If you know anyone that eats alot of beans you should bring them with you for demonstrative purposes, of course.

Len

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Italian roast  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287608146667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+