Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Pay It Forward coffee trade
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Pay It Forward...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 10:22am
Subject: Pay It Forward coffee trade

anybody interested in doing some shipping? I'm on another forum that does this with other products, but I'd be interested to get some other coffees from other roasters to try out and learn from.

it would work like this:

a list of 5 people would sign up, once the list is established the first person on the list ships a coffee they love to the second, once received by number two, they ship their coffee to the next, until the fifth person completes the pay it forward by shipping to the first person on the list.

simple concept, a rule or two would help, like this would have to be established members in good standing with the forum at first, then we would set a limit, 1/2lb would probably suffice to start.

thoughts? anyone wanna sign on?
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 3:20pm
Subject: Re: Pay It Forward coffee trade

Are you talking about coffee people roast themselves? Or coffee we buy from local roasters?

If the later, then depends on how the roaster packages them no?

If the former, you might want to be specific about how you do it. I've done 'swaps' in another hobby I had and it got to be crazy when rules were not a bit more specific.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 4:22pm

I mean home roasts, and what rules would you propose because its just an idea right now, so I'll coming to the board to develop and implement it,
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 7:25pm

I don't roast so I can put in my 2 cents.

You have to set a weight, which you did, and probably a shipping method, priority mail perhaps? with tracking.

I've seen people say 'they sent it, really' and nothing ever showing up and they had no means of tracking or it came damaged (different product) or took a week instead of 2 days.

I would even, if you expand it outwards, set something in the way of value, even if local value and exclude robusta unless you really don't want to do that.

There will always be the one who has a local supplier and doesn't really buy what they like but the cheapest thing that they can get while hoping they get kona or la esmeralda.

Good luck. And I hope I'm wrong.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 8:37am

My idea was really that we have enough people who roast at home on here that we could start to share what we do. Due to the overwhelming response, this is probably not going to work. sad.
Perked
Perked

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 10:34am

Something like this could work. Too bad I don't roast my own (yet) or else I would participate.
pngboy

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:13am

I've thought about this before.   I think its a good Idea.   I think for me It would make since if everyone was roasting the same coffee so each person could compare it to how there own roast taste.  you'll not learn as much unless your comparing it to what you think is your best interpretation of that coffee.  It would also help even more if you were teamed up with someone who has the same roaster because then you could learn from there profile and repeat it where as if one person had a popcorn popper and the next person had a diedrich ir-1 you could not really learn from each other as much and translate the roasts profiles.   I've talked to one other person I know about trading Quest M3 roasts.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Pay It Forward...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226214885712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+