Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
C'mon guys, be honest
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > C'mon guys, be...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 7:12am
Subject: Re: C'mon guys, be honest

A couple of jobs ago, one of the people I worked with had a daughter who worked for *$ corporate. She would send her mom bags of beans now and then.

They were absolutely nothing like what came out of the shops / stores. They were actually drinkable, I was shocked.

Someone told me once, that the reasons they roast like they do is so that (ala McD's) no matter where in the world you go, you get the same cup and that the skills of the Barista don't matter much.

I don't know if they still provide their corporate people with decent roasted coffee as opposed to the stuff in the stores, but overall I found that interesting. This was about 6 or 7 years ago.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 11:16am

Starbucks?  The answer is "no," I can't drink their stuff at all.  In the maybe five times I've been there in the last 2+ years, I only order brewed coffee (not espresso), and it's just gotten worse . . . whether they are changing or I am, who can say?

I can still "deal with" Peet's for a latte or a cup of (brewed) coffee.  It's not my favorite, but I've also been drinking it since the 1980s.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 10:42pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

... whether they are changing or I am, who can say? ...

Posted October 27, 2012 link

I guess the more you get used to top quality espresso, and the more you know about know that subject, in other words the greater CoffeeGeek you are, the less you are willing to tolerate badly made coffee, simply because you recognize it at once. I've come to the point that in a restaurant I rather do without an espresso after dinner than drink a horrible one from a badly maintained superautomatic or an inexpertly operated portafilter machine. Some of my non-CoffeeGeek friends don't understand. They enjoy their watery, underextracted espresso made from stale beans or rubber foam latte, even praise their taste, but they just don't know any better. People as a general unfortunately have been de-educated not to know good coffee.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:32am

I've been to $tarbucks twice in my 56 years on this rock. Ugh.

There *is* a little shop on Congress I go to occasionally...one of those funky little places with an actual atmosphere.

But if I'm going to drink coffee, I drink it at home.
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 8:11am

Starbucks? The short and honest answer is "no". really
If i'm going to drink coffee, I drink it almost always at home as well like BigDripper.
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 9:31am

LOL, this is an old thread!

I do go to Starbuck's, but only when I'm travelling. That's when I get myself into the "road coffee" mindset, where I just expect that everything's going to taste sub-optimal until I get back home. I guess it's a kind of survival tactic, as it helps me "enjoy" the experiences of diner/hotel coffees in different locations. And last summer, Starbuck's was the only place open at 10:00pm when I really needed a jolt to make it home. I had been driving for 14 hrs & still had another 3 hrs to go. A quad breve from anywhere was a necessity at that point! And since people keep giving me Starbuck's gift cards, this provides the opportunity to use them. (I've still got $4 on the $20 card my BiL gave me last Xmas.) :-)

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 9:39am

*$$ sells other things besides lousy coffee...so (besides your need for something that resembles coffee while traveling) you could use the gift cards for food items, teas, other drinks (I think they even carry Red Bull), and hardware.  You could even use the gift cards to buy gifts for other people...lol!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 9:58am

:-D True 'nuf! I do have a knockbox from them. But most of the eqpt they sell is not something I'm interested in buying. And yeah, I do pick up the tab when I'm with friends. The last time I used my card (this summer) was when I was driving to a group bike ride with a co-worker. He loves Starbuck's, & wanted to hit the drive-thru on our way out of town. But he likes those jumbo syrupy drinks... :-(

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:10pm

Well, I finally had some blonde roast that I've been wanting to try since I first heard about it.

Funny prelude: I was on a road trip. Stopped at a Starbucks outside Orlando. (Now I did have some fresh Yemen and a Zass, and a V60 in the van, but . . . )

My 8-year-old said as we were walking toward the store, "Daddy, I thought you didn't go to stores for coffee."

"Yes, that's right."

We approach the door: "Daddy, I thought you didn't like coffee from here."

Her bewilderment was growing rapidly. She was quite weirded out.

We walk in the door: "Daddy, why are we even here?"

I asked her if she smelled what I smelled. I proceeded to explain that that's what burnt coffee smelled like.

I greet the sweet lady who helped me. She patiently allowed me to look at the beans and scowl at the environs. I asked if they had the blonde roast. They showed me the beans. Ground them in a Ditting, did a manual pour-over, and hey! Better than . . .

lifeandpeace Said:

jus' ain't too bad

Posted March 21, 2009 link

She deserved a tip and got one. And I enjoyed a pretty good cup of coffee.

www.lampmode.com
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:27am

My last SB latte was just horrible, beyond anything I've had there before.

But I do like to occasionally buy their medium or light roasted beans to use at home.

LMWDP # 010
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > C'mon guys, be...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278882980347)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+