Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Guide me to good cafes in Ann Arbor
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Guide me to good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:56am
Subject: Guide me to good cafes in Ann Arbor

Where should I go for exceptional espresso in Ann Arbor Michigan?
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Guide me to good cafes in Ann Arbor

JohnLyn Said:

Where should I go for exceptional espresso in Ann Arbor Michigan?

Posted November 12, 2012 link

Zingerman's Coffee Company.  
http://www.zingermanscoffee.com/
If you go the second Saturday of the month at 11:00AM you can take a tour of the roaster and have a sample.  Their guys (and gals) are pretty good baristas and the owners run brewing and espresso classes.

Also, Comet Coffee in the arcade: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comet-Coffee/101321519093

I've heard Primo Coffee in Ypsi is pretty good, but haven't been there personally.

Another person mentioned Mighty Good: http://www.mightygoodcoffee.com/, haven't been there personally.

Yet another said, "Don't Forget Roos Roast: http://roosroast.com/ "   All he uses is an espresso machine in the shop, and I'm told he's famous for the triple-long.  Amusing blend names, very whimsical.
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 2:39pm

I will add a couple more.

Lab in Ann Arbor is decent. They have a good product, but I don't feel like there is consistent training amongst their staff. http://www.labannarbor.com/

Also, try the (espresso) bar. It's in the Braun Court near Zingerman's Deli. It's a quaint little spot ran out of a home by a couple of really nice young people. They give you a great product and excellent service.  http://www.facebook.com/TheEspressoBar?fref=ts
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:40pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a good friend and coffee lover that just moved there but had not discovered where to go yet. Once again, coffeegeeks save the day.

Cheers,

John
Ruthie

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 9:39am

I like Zingerman's, but Ugly Mug in Ypsi is a MUST.  They just started pulling a single origin Guatemalan that is amazing.  Their usual blend is pretty awesome too.

http://uglymugcafeandroastery.com/
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 2:50pm

Ever hear of a coffee shop that can't bag up a pound of what they are pulling? That is what I got from the uglymugcafe. They spro blend was good but no way it makes up for the piss poor organization and attitude. Done

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 6:16pm

So today I made it to Roosroast in Ann Arbor and can you believe it a roaster that will actually sell you a pound of of espresso. I showed up at the local and the roaster dude was gone but the barista invited me back to check out the roasting operation, comped me an doppio macchiato that was very solid, sold me a pound and made a customer.

Hell i was even wearing suit and did not even matter, imagine that.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 7:30am

Another shop well worth a try if you're near campus is Comet Coffee - a small but very nice shop in Nickels Arcade off State Street.  They're not a roaster (most of the coffee had been brought in from 49th Parallel IIRC) but my drink was carefully prepared and very good.
Gdcigars

Espresso: Beko
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 6:17am

If you visit Downtown Detroit, the Roasting Plant is fantastic.
jonr

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 7:25am

I like Sweetwaters (ask for Abiano).  I found the espresso at Comet Coffee (and some others) undrinkable.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Guide me to good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249685049057)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+