Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
First experience with Turkish (or Greek) coffee.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > First experience...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 3:04pm
Subject: First experience with Turkish (or Greek) coffee.

So I was in San Francisco yesterday on a business trip and ended up at a very nice Greek restaurant.  They offered what they were calling "Greek style coffee" but when I saw the literally dozens of ibriks being used I knew that I needed to try it (I had recently read Mark's guide on brewing Turkish coffee).  After trying it I'm not sure if this was a good example of the brewing method or not but my suspicion is that it was not.  It was served in about a 3 oz cup and after drinking 2/3 of it I could turn the cup on it's side and the sludge would take about 5 seconds to get to the edge of the cup.  I expected a certain amount of sludge since the coffee is unfiltered but not like that.  Is this how it should be?  Since I think it is not I will need to try some somewhere.  I would love to try it at home but my grinder is not up to grinding Turkish fine.  Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that brews good Turkish coffee?  Anyone know what the difference between Turkish and Greek coffee is?  Is it just a name?
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:31am
Subject: Re: First experience with Turkish (or Greek) coffee.

The coffee you drank sounds like it was prepared properly. Usually after brewing and pouring, one should usually let the cup sit for a little bit so that the sludge settles. It is normal for only about 2/3 to 3/4 of the
cup to be drinkable. It all depends on how the barista pours the coffee into the cup and if they let it settle in the Brikka or Ibrik before they poured it.

Greek and Turkish coffee is generally prepared the same way, but Greek coffee usually has teaspoon of sugar added. Usually, when it is boiled, it is taken off the heat right as soon as it "Blooms"
and then it is consumed. Whereas, I know some turks like to "Boil" it twice. ie. Take it off the burner after it blooms, let it settle, then put it back on until it "blooms" again.

A lot of greeks and turks use a special coffee mill just for turkish grind. This is what a traditional turkish coffee mill looks like:
http://www.turkishgiftbazaar.com/grinders/coffe/02coffee.htm
(I can't say I can recommend buying from this site though, I'm not endorsing it.. Buy at your own risk.)

I'm not sure if using an espresso grinder to grind turkish would be a good idea if yours could.. My thought is that the output would be quite slow and it would be hard on the motor..

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 1:22pm
Subject: .

dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:17am

qualin Said:

I'm not sure if using an espresso grinder to grind turkish would be a good idea if yours could.. My thought is that the output would be quite slow and it would be hard on the motor..

Posted December 16, 2012 link

I think I stripped the gears on my Preciso doing that...
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:47am

Turkish or Greek . . . Arab or Israeli . . . do you honestly expect them to agree on anything, let alone a name???

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
RoyceRuiz

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 9:36am

Thanks for the thoughts.  Although I knew that the coffee was unfiltered I expected more coffee sediment to stay in the ibrik when poured correctly.  Now I guess I know although I would still love to find a place that specializes in the method to compare.  I did enjoy the coffee, even with the sugar in it (I don't know when the last time I had sugar in coffee was).  Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that brews turkish?  Thanks.
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 9:50am

The first time I had it, I thought maybe the grounds were chocolate so I tried to eat them. Not so good.

Bean2friends
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 8:31pm

Most Turkish restaurants, Hookah smoking emporiums, some Greek restaurants, etc., etc., etc.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:36pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Turkish or Greek . . . Arab or Israeli . . . do you honestly expect them to agree on anything, let alone a name???

Posted December 17, 2012 link

Heh.. Actually, I've had Arab coffee from the Gaza strip, 2 weeks before they closed it off in 1992. It was considerably different in taste to the Turkish coffee
I had in old Akka in Israel. Then my father in laws Greek coffee tastes even more different from even that.

Mind you, since he doesn't have a coffee grinder, he gets it pre-ground out of a can instead.

It makes me curious now what kinds of coffee blends would work great with either Greek or Turkish coffee.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > First experience...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259593009949)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+