Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Do I actually know anything about coffee? Help me find myself.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Do I actually...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:46am
Subject: Re: Do I actually know anything about coffee? Help me find myself.

tinpanalley, my comments were not meant to imply that your coffee is substandard but my assumption based on your question is that you seek to improve your coffee experience if it can be improved for you.  Also, while I love the coffee that I drink I am constantly looking to improve it and sometimes I do.  When I learn something or find something I like better I don't think of my previous coffee as "sub-standard" but am excited.  If your goal is not the same as mine (to seek out the best coffee in the world to my taste) then I understand but I thought you wanted to explore for the purpose of possibly improving your coffee experience.  If you are happy with what you have and don't desire to explore let us know.
 View Profile Link to this post
tinpanalley

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 3:41pm

RoyceRuiz Said:

tinpanalley, my comments were not meant to imply that your coffee is substandard but my assumption based on your question is that you seek to improve your coffee experience if it can be improved for you.  Also, while I love the coffee that I drink I am constantly looking to improve it and sometimes I do.  When I learn something or find something I like better I don't think of my previous coffee as "sub-standard" but am excited.  If your goal is not the same as mine (to seek out the best coffee in the world to my taste) then I understand but I thought you wanted to explore for the purpose of possibly improving your coffee experience.  If you are happy with what you have and don't desire to explore let us know.

Posted December 17, 2012 link

Let me just be more clear. I wasn't offended and trying to retaliate or anything. I was simply trying to make a point, without any anger, that this happens a lot in food where people who experiment a lot with flavours, etc, inadvertently refer to those who don't do it much with a certain degree of something that sounds like, "you just don't really know what you're missing because unlike me, you haven't explored much". Even when genuinely trying to helpful, that can sound a bit like what you know is better. But again, it was more to make the point that THATS the kind of comment people like me come across often. Now, I know you didn't mean it that way and you're clearly just trying to help. But I wouldn't say that is the desire of most people I've spoken to about this (usually baristas), obviously the people here in this forum are different. That's been proven. It's funny, because chefs I've spoken to, food producers, farmers, etc all seem very willing to talk about their craft and trade and are always eager to teach. Most, not all, baristas have talked to me like I don't quite have enough cool factor to be asking them questions about beans and are quick to find my improper use of a term amusing. Kinda makes it hard to learn.

On the idea of trying something new, I did say the following in an earlier post...
"Now... knowing that I like this kind of coffee can anyone suggest something in the realm of coffee you would like that I might enjoy? I like dark bold coffee, there's nothing I can do about that. But I'm willing to experiment with something closer to second crack (see.. I'm learning)  just to see how dark you guys would go without going into a dark roast. "
RoyceRuiz

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 5:56pm

Unfortunately I think we have become victims of the forum format (ex. no voice inflection, etc.)  That being said, do you live in Paris full time?  You mentioned NY various times.  Do you spend time in the US?  I might have some suggestions on coffees to try in the US but I don't know who ships internationally.
tinpanalley

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:02am

Yes, I'm in Paris full time. I just moved here.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 7:14am

It is very hard to advise you to try a specific coffee because what is available to you where you are will be different than what we have available to us.

For coffee with a "darker" or more earthy flavor, you might try a Kenya AA http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/kenya-coffee.html

or a Sumatra, Click Here (www.espressocoffeeguide.com)

These coffees are on the "thicker" end of the scale, more earthy or heavy flavors.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tinpanalley

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 7:28am

calblacksmith Said:

It is very hard to advise you to try a specific coffee because what is available to you where you are will be different than what we have available to us.
For coffee with a "darker" or more earthy flavor, you might try a Kenya AA

Posted December 19, 2012 link

Kenya is EXACTLY what I'm having right now that I got that was recommended by a local "brulerie" or roaster. Good. Right flavours. A liiiiiiittle on the liquidy side (made in a Bialetti) but thoroughly enjoyable.
I'll be trying Brazilian beans from a place called Coutume today. I'll get the exact name, origin, etc, later on in case anyone's interested. I had tried it before and it's been the best so far.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Do I actually...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234179973602)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+