Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lost

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:25pm
Subject: Re: What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?

1. Tim Horton's does not sell coffee but properly termed, "a coffee drink"
       I have been told this by a retired Tim Horton's exec. Consumer reports/testing indicate that the coffee drink has gone from about 2/3 cofee to about 1/2 coffee............how else do you improve operating margins ?

2. McDonalds now sells coffee from the former supplier to Tim Horton's. Tim Horton's has gone in house for their coffee recipe & roasting.

Tim Horton's sells crap tasting coffee drinks but they have locations everywhere to sell it !!!
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:57pm

lost Said:

Tim Horton's does not sell coffee but properly termed, "a coffee drink"
   I have been told this by a retired Tim Horton's exec. Consumer reports/testing indicate that the coffee drink has gone from about 2/3 cofee to about 1/2 coffee............how else do you improve operating margins ?

McDonalds now sells coffee from the former supplier to Tim Horton's. Tim Horton's has gone in house for their coffee recipe & roasting.

Tim Horton's sells crap tasting coffee drinks but they have locations everywhere to sell it !!!

Posted December 28, 2012 link

Interesting post. This is much more on par with my expectations for this thread topic.  Funny about "a coffee drink"; I have commonly referred to it as "coffee flavored beverage"; guess maybe its not really that far off. I'm surprised so many here can actually drink that stuff (and think it tastes good). I try to encourage people here to move away from that stuff. If push came to shove, McDonalds, I could handle (not happily), but no Timmie's for me.
AnotherRob

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: CCD, Behmor BraZen
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 5:27pm

Rex Murphy compares Tim Horton's with Starbucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZd7NoZl63Q

"Starbucks is Noam Chomsky and Seattle. Tim Horton’s is Don Cherry and Sault Saint Marie."
erichK

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:49pm

It is a Canadian institution, and can be coffee that is barely drinkable when nothing else is open on a long night drive through its vast vistas.  Their "lattes", though, are so loaded with sugar that I find them undrinkable.
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:55am

Like many businesses that become successful beyond their wildest dreams. Tim Hortons has gone from a coffee business to a business that sells coffee. by that I mean that the franchisees used to have a solid business selling a solid but mediocre product (mediocrity sells) but catered to what its customers wanted. It is now a business that caters to its shareholders and the consumer (and some will say franshisees)  is only a vehicle whereby the corporation makes money.

I had been told of alot of other things but as this is not a gossip magazine, I will refrain.

You want to taste what Tim Horton's is ? Drink it black and cold.

Starbucks is a wh#re of another stripe, but a wh#re none the less.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:59am

No coffee snobbery here.

I must say I enjoy Tim Hortons coffee better than any other franchise. When I wake up at 6am and I'm sitting in the hockey stands watching my kids, there is nothing I like better than to slowly sip my Tim's coffee while the cup warms my hands.

(BTW, I have a nice Geisha and several COEs coffees right now which I roasted with my Quest, I grind them on my Pharos and pour shots with my vintage lever Cremina. So it's not like I don't know good coffee.)
mkeller234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 3:09am

This is a very entertaining thread!

My wife and I live just a few hours south of Canada, in Ohio.  We had never seen a Tim Horton's before... until we started taking frequent vacations in Canada as young adults.  We thought, "What the heck is this place, it's EVERYWHERE!  We never did go to one while we were in Canada, but we did make little jokes about it being so big in Canada, that the Tim Horton's army would one day invade the United States.  Then, a few years later, Tim Horton's DID invade.  We don't have many, but they are slowly trickling into the boarder States.  I still have not drank their coffee.

For the record, we LOVED taking trips to Canada.  Then we had to go and muck it up by requiring passports to travel between the two countries.  I miss those days of an open border with a great Country.  Also, I cannot stand McDonald's coffee, something in it seems to absorb all of the moisture out of my mouth.  Anyone here familiar with Sheetz gas stations?  They may very well rank for having the most rank coffee shaped objects.
Buckley

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 4:36am

So...isn't the source of the substantial lines at the drive-up window the ... ... ... drive-up window?  You see (and a Texan has to explain this to a Calgary resident) it is COLD up there in December.  And if one is driving about town and wants something WARM to drink, there is either hot chocolate or coffee (or tea, this being Canada) AND a drive-up window so one does not have to get out of the warm car - just roll down the window.  How do you know that most customers are not buying hot chocolate or tea (such as it is?).  What other drive-up warm drinks are available?  Are you comparing lines to those at SB or McD?
So, in response to the original posting, IMN-S-HO, the 'deal' is easy access to a warm diversion.  The coffee is secondary.  ...one would hope.
A bump up to mkelly234 for introducing me to CSO: "coffee shaped objects" LOL!

Buckley
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 9:13am

It think the food also plays a big part in the success of Tim's. Good, simple home cooked food without all the grease and toppings you find at most places. (The only thing they fat fry are the donuts it seems).

Before I bring my kids to a game, I can fill them up at Tim's with a nice chicken salad sandwich on wheat bread with tomatoes, lettuce, etc. They get a mango/yogurt smoothie and they are all set. There are many healthy choices for parents with kids in sports.

I also see a lot of older folks in Tim's sitting together for hours chatting and sipping coffee. Business folks come by to use the wi-if and grab a quick lunch.

It's a great fast food business model that I can't seem to find anywhere in the US (which just happens to be where I am right now while on business). Not sure why it didn't catch on in the US.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:41am

Endo Said:

Not sure why it didn't catch on in the US.

Posted January 25, 2013 link

Wikipedia (my favorite quick search engine):
"In March 2010, Tim Hortons announced a further expansion on both sides of the US/Canadian border to be completed by 2013. The plan calls for:
600 new stores in Canada (primarily in Quebec and Western Canada but also including smaller communities) and 300 new stores in the U.S. (primarily in its existing markets of Michigan, New York, and Ohio).
....Extend its co-branding initiative with U.S. ice cream chain Cold Stone Creamery, which began in 2009, to cover 60 Canadian stores and 25–35 new and existing U.S. stores.
Test a new café/bake shop concept in at least 10 existing U.S. locations, including "enhanced finishes, fixtures and seating areas" as well as an expansion of menu offerings."

I'd say they are doing just fine in their expansion into the US. Ron Joyce is our province's most successful billionnaire by a long-shot.

Buckley Said:

What other drive-up warm drinks are available?  

Posted January 24, 2013 link

Yes, there are other offerings, but every Canadian knows that most people are getting a 'double-double'. And around here, the have had to add extra traffic lanes for cars holding up traffic trying to turn into 'Tims'
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302654027939)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+