Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What do you use to store your coffee?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What do you use...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MikeSD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:23am
Subject: What do you use to store your coffee?

I'm looking for recommendations.  I roast at home and would like to roast once a week in the weekends.  I would not be storing long term.
 View Profile Link to this post
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 1:16pm
Subject: Re: What do you use to store your coffee?

Wide mouth mason jars. There's even a FoodSaver mason jar attachment Click Here (www.amazon.com) which you can use either with a FoodSaver or hand pump, though that's not necessary in the short-term.
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 1:30pm

I've been using the Airscape canister.  The 32 oz. size is perfect for 3/4 lb. of beans.  I like the stainless steel finish (found mine at Williams Sonoma).  It definitely does a better job than just keeping them in their original bag.  I have a theory that it's better to keep freshly roasted beans in an air-tight container with a "plunger" style seal like the Airscape, rather than a vacuum container, because the more you inhibit the outgassing of CO2, the better.  A vacuum will tend to maximize evacuation, so that the moment you open the container, the beans will potentially get more oxidizing. Once the beans have stopped outgassing and been exposed to air, I don't think it matters as much what technique you use.  But perhaps a vacuum container will make them slightly less stale.  I try not to hang onto beans that old.  In my experience, beans have stayed fresh and exhibit significant bloom up to two weeks after storage, and definitely show excessive outgassing up to almost a full week after roasting.  If you store your beans in an Airscape right after roasting, you may even need to keep the valve open so they don't pop the lid off.

A final note:  I always split my beans into two canisters and don't open the second one again until I'm done with the first.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 2:11pm

MikeSD Said:

I'm looking for recommendations.  I roast at home and would like to roast once a week in the weekends.  I would not be storing long term.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

Mike, as there are at least 100 threads on this subject, perhaps do a Search for even more info.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
MikeSD

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 7:05pm

IMAWriter Said:

Mike, as there are at least 100 threads on this subject, perhaps do a Search for even more info.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

The seach keeps giving me an error every time I use it.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 12:03pm

that's weird.  I just typed in "storage" and got 3200+ hits.  Guessing maybe you put "coffee storage", I tried it and got a search error.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
uRabbit

Espresso: Silvia V3 + PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Chemex, AeroPress, Wave,...
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 8:45am

We have been using organic peanut butter jars from Trader Joe's, but we noticed we could smell the aroma of the beans from outside of the containers, so we decided to get something sealed better.

This is coming in the mail either today or tomorrow. :)

Purista Coffee Co. - Blog, Reviews, Culture, More.
http://puristacoffeeco.com/ | thepuristas@puristacoffeeco.com
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:26am

]]Ball Canning Jars with a zip lock bag inside, not their regular or other mason jars, have to be canning ones... they have a two piece lid with a seal. I found this to work great, keep them in the freezer and take one out to defrost when I get to the end/low on another jar. Think i usually spread about 90g or so in each jar. But when using a jar the zip lock works great because each time I use the beans, can squeeze out the air and roll it making the beans sealed.

Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:37am

]]Ball Canning Jars with a zip lock bag inside, not their regular or other mason jars, have to be canning ones... they have a two piece lid with a seal. I found this to work great, keep them in the freezer and take one out to defrost when I get to the end/low on another jar. Think i usually spread about 90g or so in each jar. But when using a jar the zip lock works great because each time I use the beans, can squeeze out the air and roll it making the beans sealed.

This is what I do as well...minus the ziploc. I fill the jars to the top then leave the lid on lossely overnight, so the degassing CO2 can drive out the air between the beans.  The next morning, I tighten down the lids and put the jars in the freezer.  I find these jars hold about 10-12g per oz.  I use 4, 8 and 16 oz jars, depending on my intended use for the beans (regular espresso 16oz, decaf espresso 8oz, presspot 4oz). I haven't noticed a difference between the freezer batches and beans that I never froze.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What do you use...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257349967957)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+