Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
I made  POV video making espresso based drinks at my work.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > I made  POV...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
candyman

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:30pm
Subject: I made  POV video making espresso based drinks at my work.

I made a video with some tips while working a shift at an espresso bar. Hope you like it, feedback welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B188_aXFsOc
 View Profile Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:07pm
Subject: Re: I made  POV video making espresso based drinks at my work.

That was really fascinating.  Thanks so much for posting this.  A few comments/questions:

1)  Good Lord, man.  You need a helper!  You must just collapse when you get home at night.
2)  It looks like your tamping is just a formality.  What do you think of all the geek tamping rituals?
3)  What camera did you use?
4)  People put sugar in a latte?  <shudder>
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:53pm

I don't mean to be rude, but I disagreed with almost everything in this video, and you DID say that feedback was welcome. I don't mean to offend, and I hope you don't take it too hard. But your shots were gushers and really overextracted. You were pulling WAY too much volume. What coffee are you using? You should NEVER re-steam milk, and you NEVER use dirty, just-used milk pitchers. Your milk shouldn't be hot enough to burn you, it gets scalded much above 145. You certainly shouldn't be able to put it in the refrigerator for a minute and still serve a hot drink. The milk should be poured immediately so that you have a good, consistent texture and so it doesn't separate on you.

What prompted you to post the video?

-Dave-
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:42am

To me it seemed like he was just making compromises to handle the number of people he had to service.  As far as I know, none of the things you are critiquing are unhygienic, they just make sub-optimal coffee.   And if you can service more people (who probably won't notice), is that such a bad thing?  In any market there are niches - you can be the elite coffee place, or you can be Starbucks, or you can be Joe's Cheap Coffee House.  

I would really be interested in seeing if someone can tell the difference between freshly steamed and recently re-steamed milk in a latte.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:24pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

To me it seemed like he was just making compromises to handle the number of people he had to service.  As far as I know, none of the things you are critiquing are unhygienic, they just make sub-optimal coffee.   And if you can service more people (who probably won't notice), is that such a bad thing?  In any market there are niches - you can be the elite coffee place, or you can be Starbucks, or you can be Joe's Cheap Coffee House.  

I would really be interested in seeing if someone can tell the difference between freshly steamed and recently re-steamed milk in a latte.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

I completely disagree. Serving subpar product because you assume they won't notice doesn't excuse the subpar product. The workload he was handling (a person every few minutes ordering 1 drink), is not volume by any stretch of the imagination. He has the time to take 5 seconds to pour fresh milk. Pulling a gusher shot didn't save him any time considering he pulled it in the range that one would if it were a well-pulled shot. Oversteaming milk and then refrigerating it not only takes MORE time, but I have no idea why ANYONE would suggest that. He's not compromising to save time; he's just compromising. I wasn't assuming that he knew better and chose to ignore these facts to serve more customers, I was assuming he didn't know better. Hence my hope that he wouldn't be offended. Now, if he does know better and still chooses to serve his drinks that way, then I would take back my comments about not meaning offense.

Even SBUX trains their staff not to resteam milk. They have no problem scalding their milk and using every other method of basically offering a less than mediocre product, so what does that tell you about resteaming milk? I don't think anyone who has experience with well-prepared milk-based espresso drinks would have any issue distinguishing the two.

I completely agree that there are different demographics and niches, but he posted this here. This demographic reaches for excellence, not compromise. A heavy workload doesn't necessitate compromise, I have seen that first hand.

-Dave-
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:29pm

Wow man you are a ninja when it comes to multi tasking!  Suggestions IMO are the following.  I would have some of your cups close to the machine for easy grab and brew so you don't gotta twirl around all the time.  I would not re steam milk because your just burning almost burned milk once it's cooled.  Your also gonna lose texture when you make the second drink and the milk will have no sweetness left in it.  As for the shots I would take your time tamping and timing the brew with a $10 timer foreach group.  I bet if you time making 2 drinks your current way and 2 drinks taking your time you will notice there isnt much of a time diffrence.  Hope this helps. :)

Great customer service man!

PS:  If your making a lot of milk based drinks I would look into a cold dispencer or pour milk into larger thermoses to keep it cool. They are cheap.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
uRabbit

Espresso: Silvia V3 + PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Chemex, AeroPress, Wave,...
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 8:27am

Oh, this is you? I saw this on reddit.com/r/coffee last week. :)

Purista Coffee Co. - Blog, Reviews, Culture, More.
http://puristacoffeeco.com/ | thepuristas@puristacoffeeco.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KoHiLabs
KoHiLabs
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Press Pot,...
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 1:00pm

Super fun perspective. Great customer service. Pulling shots like a boss. This makes me smile. Thanks for posting.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > I made  POV...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248588085175)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+