Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Totally geeked!  Roasting Coffee!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Totally geeked!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
macdad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 4:33pm
Subject: Totally geeked!  Roasting Coffee!

So, I finally caved in and bought a roaster (Behmor).  Just roasted the first 0.5 lb batch last night and will be brewing it tomorrow.  I can't wait to see how it tastes.  I think I roasted it darker than I wanted to, but it should be OK.  It just started 2nd crack when I hit the cool button.  

The bad news...  My wife still complains that the house smells aweful.  It should dissipate over time (I hope).
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:59pm
Subject: Re: Totally geeked!  Roasting Coffee!

It will ,if you can open the windows for awhile it helps...Ive been roasting on the patio without a drop cord and have had great roasts. Its a way to avoid smell and not set off alarms.

macdad Said:

So, I finally caved in and bought a roaster (Behmor).  Just roasted the first 0.5 lb batch last night and will be brewing it tomorrow.  I can't wait to see how it tastes.  I think I roasted it darker than I wanted to, but it should be OK.  It just started 2nd crack when I hit the cool button.  

The bad news...  My wife still complains that the house smells aweful.  It should dissipate over time (I hope).

Posted February 15, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
roach56

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:01am

Congrats on your new roaster. I've had my Behmor a little over a week. My first roast was darker than I wanted also but I'm starting to get more consistent roast now. I had a costa rican bean that went into 2nd crack on me and by opening the door while hitting cool , I managed to salvage it. Let us know how your roast tastes after 3-4 days. What type bean was it? I found with the Behmor the roasts need a little longer rest than my air roasts.
macdad

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 4:28pm

The coffee I received with the roaster was some Brazilian Bob-o-Link.  There is a local shop here that roasts coffee, and I really enjoyed the Bob-o-link, so that is what I got.

The first batch was definitely over roasted.  After 2 days it tastes a little flat to me (I have no knowledge of cupping or the appropriate terms).  I also taste more of the roast flavor and very little bean flavor.  I originally roasted 1/2 lb of coffee on P2 C.  I think part of the problem is that it stepped down to the lower temp just as the coffee started 1st crack and I think it stalled a bit.  Just guessing though.

I roasted another batch today near a window in the kitchen.  Definitely less smell in the house (wife is happy :) )  I did another 1/2 lb but set it to 1 lb P2 A.  However, I think the results would have been the same if I had just run the P1 profile.  This time, there was only about 20-30 seconds between 1st and 2nd crack.  I really wanted to stop before 2nd crack, but I ended up stopping right at 2nd crack.  The good news is that, although color wise it appears to be the same as the first roast, the smell is much better.  I don't get the scorched smell that the first batch had.  We shall see in a couple days!  

On a side note, I am using the Roasterthing program.  My wife really gets a kick out of me sitting in front of a roaster and logging things on the computer at the same time.  She tells me I am a true GEEK :)
roach56

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 5:20am

My Wife wrote me off along time ago. I'm still learning this roaster myself so maybe a more experienced user will chime in. The roaster will continue to roast after you hit the cool button so it's a challenge timing between 1c and 2c and ending the roast, for me anyway. I'm used to dumping into my homemade cooler for instant cooling. Let us know how the roast came out.
macdad

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 6:29pm

roach56 Said:

...Let us know how your roast tastes after 3-4 days. What type bean was it? I found with the Behmor the roasts need a little longer rest than my air roasts.

Posted February 16, 2013 link

I am also finding that the roasts taste much better after 3 days.  The second roast, after 2 days, was almost sour tasting.  I thought I ruined another one, but, on day 3, it wasn't sour at all.  It just tasted like a nice dark roast.  Still too dark for my tastes, but not bad by any means.  

Today I did a 3rd 1/2# roast.  I stopped it at about 1 min 40 seconds after the start of 1C.  It is definitely lighter.  Probably City to City+ if I were to guess.  I will wait 3 days before I even think of brewing this roast.  This is definitely a hobby that tries ones patience.

I think I will try the P3 profile on the next roast.  Supposedly, that is better for Brazilian beans, so I am interested to see what the difference in flavor will be.
roach56

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:28am

I've been using P3 for some african beans. I just used P2 for the first time yesterday on some Quat beans. I let first crack finish completely, then hit cool and it was approx. 1:30 from the beginning of first crack. I ended up with a city-city+. I brewed some this morning because I was out of roasted beans, wasn't bad and should be great in a couple days. Were you using another roasting method prior to the Behmor?
hollyan

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:33am

The Behmor smoke suppression works okay, but it definitely doesn't do much to curb the smell. As for taking the beans too far, my best advice is to take thorough notes, since it's easier to be systematic with the Behmor than with an air popper. Some beans will roast exactly how you predict, but others will roast way faster (or slower) due to varying bean densities, origins, etc. Taking clear notes is the best way (along with practice) to achieve consistency.
macdad

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 4:22am

hollyan Said:

...Some beans will roast exactly how you predict, but others will roast way faster (or slower) due to varying bean densities, origins, etc. Taking clear notes is the best way (along with practice) to achieve consistency.

Posted February 21, 2013 link

I have been taking good notes.  I am noticing, at least with this batch of beans, that they are fairly consistent roast to roast.  The times of 1C are very close, as long as I keep the weight the same and use the same profile.  I certainly see the value in keeping both roasting and tasting notes.

roach56 Said:

I've been using P3 for some african beans. I just used P2 for the first time yesterday on some Quat beans. I let first crack finish completely, then hit cool and it was approx. 1:30 from the beginning of first crack. I ended up with a city-city+. I brewed some this morning because I was out of roasted beans, wasn't bad and should be great in a couple days. Were you using another roasting method prior to the Behmor?

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Yeah, I will definitely use P3 for the next roast and compare the flavors.  I read somewhere else on this forum that someone would use p3 on the 1 lb setting.  They would take something like 6-8 minutes off the time before they started the roast.  Then, after starting the roast, they would add the time back.  That way, they would get the ramp up temp and still have plenty of power and time to finish the roast.  I think I will try that next.

A couple years ago, I did some roasting with a Bread Machine and Heat Gun.  There were just too many variables in that method for me.  I couldn't get a consistent even roast.  I have wanted a Behmor for a while.  Just had to wait until I had the excess cash to justify the purchase :)
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 6:48am

the method of using a 1lb roast setting for a lesser amount works well. I do all my roast with the 1lb but roast anywhere between 8-10 oz. gives you more time at the end of your roast just incase your not at the level you want. example 10oz african using p3 1lb setting I will reduce the time to 14;00 before pressing start. It will stay within drying fazes correctly.I use the same method with some harder beans also on p3 to give the bean a longer drying faze but will reduce time after pressing start, that way last stage will be a prolonged 100% power. same as ajusting your roast for a p2. start with a p1 roast and mark time of 1c next roast use p2 and ajust your time so power drop happens same time your 1c happened on p1 this way you increase the time you stay in 1c and time between 1c and 2c when the bean will develop it's flavor. after you practice a while it becomes 2nd nature how to predict the roast. I have also found if you can cool the beans quicker you develop more sweetness in the bean. I use a fan,after pressing cool I wait 2min open door and place a little fan blowing on the beans. you still have to let the behmor run thru the cooling faze though. always remember to take notes or roastlogs as to settings times of 1c and 2c and flavor profile of your roast. you will be surprised how just a little ajustment will change a taste profile. I run 2 behmors with my setup right now but always looking of ways to expand and learn more. hope you enjoy your jorney as much as I have mine.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Totally geeked!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292237043381)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+