Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Much Ado About Iced Coffee
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Much Ado About...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:04pm
Subject: Much Ado About Iced Coffee

I just want to ask a simple question: why is it preferable to immediately chill coffee over ice, diluting it in the process, when a simple means for chilling it without dilution can be employed?

After reading many iterations of people's recipes for brewing high concentrations of iced coffee and then pouring them over ice during the brewing process, I have to think that the method is flawed.

First, I've always perceived my coffee to either improve in taste if I wait a few minutes after brewing, or at least to not degrade in taste unless it sits a much longer time.  Part of this is due to the fact that I don't keep it in a thermal container and continue to expose it to high heat.  This result causes me to question the urgency of chilling the brew over ice immediately after contact with the grounds, as is emphasized in Japanese and European derived methods.

Second, it's obvious to me that while pouring over ice reduces the temperature rapidly, submerging a glass container in ice water will also rapidly reduce the temperature to a level where bad stuff no longer happens.  The point here is that the goal is to push the temperature rapidly below a certain level, not to get the coffee iced all at once.  True, I then have to wait approx. 10 mins. to enjoy a cold brew, but by that time, I can then pour it over some gigantic ice cubes that don't melt enough to seriously dilute the brew because it's already cold.  So in the end, I can enjoy very icy coffee with minimal dilution, however...

Third, I've found that coffee tastes best when it's approaching luke warm temperature, after which the flavor goes downhill.  So, my particular delight is to serve my coffee at a slightly higher concentration near room temp over ice and enjoy the flavor while it lasts, then enjoy the chilling sensation.

So I'm curious to hear from folks as to whether they perceive flavor degradation in hot coffee within the first five minutes, since I clearly do not.  Or whether brewing much higher concentrations has other benefits I'm not aware of. Also, if anyone wants to point out that this topic has been discussed before ad infinitum, thanks in advance for your helpful input and immunity to sarcasm.

Oh yeah, here is my iced coffee bath:

barkingburro: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:53pm
Subject: Re: Much Ado About Iced Coffee

Everyone is different in how they enjoy coffee. My personal bias is to hot coffee, if it gets even close to room temp or lower, I gag.
In Food service, you do not use cubes of ice to cool the food product, you use sealed frozen containers with ice inside. The container prevents contamination of the food product with water. I see no reason for it to be any different with coffee  but for trying different methods, don't count on me to give any advice LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:14pm

I also like hot coffee, it's good to my taste as long as it is hot, doesn't matter if it's already 5 minutes or longer.  
I know some people who makes their coffee so concentrated that when they put a lot of ice "it's not that diluted."

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
theophilus99

Espresso: Working on getting one :)
Grinder: Lame
Drip: Aero Press
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:32am

Hello.  I'm not sure exactly what your question is.  What's your brewing method?  From what I understand, the best way to brew iced coffee is in the refrigerator for several hours.  This method creates unique flavors when compared to hot brewing, and you wind up with a kind of coffee concentrate which will need to be diluted with cold water.  If you want to avoid using ice you could keep the concentrate and fresh water chilled in your fridge until it is time to mix them together.  This method will make it unnecessary to immediately chill your coffee, and you can dilute the concentrate as much or as little as desired.  Good luck.
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:20am

Barkingburro,

What are you messing around with that bath for? You should be making that iced coffee in your Trifecta MB. Try 8 oz. water, 30 grams coffee, 11 refrigerator/freezer sized ice cubes, Trifecta setting E:50, then let it sit for a minute or two. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:10pm

Jim, I am  using my Trifecta!

- Michael
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 6:55am

I, like you, don't mind my coffee down to lukewarm. My father, like others here, likes it piping hot.

I find that the taste profile of the coffee changes as it cools and that some coffees get nasty even after 5 minutes, which means I won't go back to them because I am a sipper. I love to sit and read and sip my coffee over an hour, say, at the local place.

As for cold / iced coffee..... Not the junk they premake with milk and or sugar (yes, I've seen it served that way out and about and find it gross and disgusting).
No matter what coffee technique you use, you can do it well or badly or somewhere in between. I remember getting iced coffee at... this place in Portland the name of which I cannot remember and it was mellow and a bit naturally sweet and refreshing. I had some a few weeks ago at a place in Burbank that was so bitter and nasty it was not drinkable.

I think some beans lend themselves more to iced coffee than others and if you want to try some very expensive but good cold pressed coffee google black blood of the earth.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 7:52am

calblacksmith Said:

Everyone is different in how they enjoy coffee. My personal bias is to hot coffee, if it gets even close to room temp or lower, I gag.
In Food service, you do not use cubes of ice to cool the food product, you use sealed frozen containers with ice inside. The container prevents contamination of the food product with water. I see no reason for it to be any different with coffee  but for trying different methods, don't count on me to give any advice LOL!

Posted June 20, 2013 link

+1.  For me Iced Coffee = bad.  Iced Tea = good.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
Heissmeister
Heissmeister

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca
Grinder: Super Jolly w/dosing chamber
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 2:57pm

I would love a fancy iced coffee brewing machine. For show alone, it is excellent. It really depends o your need though. Sometimes novelty outweighs quality, and that just so happens to be my community. We pour hot coffee over coffee ice. Frozen coffee cubes. It sounds cool, but it actually majorly alters the flavor of the brew. However....customers LOVE this concept regardless, and I can't keep the tubs of coffee ice full ever in the summer. Despite the altered flavor, most people like the idea of not adding extra water to their coffee.

When I'm really serious about quality cold brew, I'll do a cold brew process, and harvest the finished room temperature brew between 12 and 16 hours. I'll cut the concentrate with water, or milk, or condensed milk....

It is ridiculously good.

But filtering it is really a pain. Especially when I do it for festivals and do 10 gallon buckets of this stuff. But, profit margins are high, and the quality is outstanding.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 4:11pm

This is a shameless bump.

We just had a heat wave in Southern California and all I can think of is drinking more iced coffee. The thought of twitch prompted my fried brain to bump this thread. No excuse, really.

- Michael
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Much Ado About...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286221981049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+