Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Just found out about this
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Just found out...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Anthorn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 10:14pm
Subject: Re: Just found out about this

Iluvdabean Said:

My question is more of a philosophical one I guess. What better place to ask it also,so here goes. Do you drink coffee for the buzz or taste?
Now while I love the effect of caffeine I really try to embrace the whole experience.  Ive never set out to drink it for the caffeine content.
This is also an interesting read when considering robusta vs arabica beans from Tom at Sweet Marias.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee/full-description/robusta

Posted September 10, 2013 link

Mainly for the whole experience but also for the buzz if it is actually a buzz and the taste and due to tradition. I mainly drink coffee which has the taste that was my earliest experience of coffee and remained so for many years. If there ever was such a generic blend as "Italian" or "Espresso" then that would be it and the result is strong coffee. The easiest most predictable way to achieve it is a dark roasted Arabica with enough Robusta to give it an edge without making it bitter. That's not the only way to achieve it and it can be done with 100% Arabica but there is no point in using more expensive ingredients resulting in a more expensive consumer price to achieve the same result as a cheaper blend.

I think overall there is a public misconception that is contained in the Sweet Marias article that Robusta is just a cheap filler for cheap commercial blends and that 100% Arabica is the superior product. But in fact Robusta does have a place in quality blends and has retained that place for a very long time. Overall, due to that public misconception, "100% Arabica" is more a selling point than an indication of quality.
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 7:11pm

off topic but I'd likely buy it more for the packaging than the packaged product.
Kinda like I found someone selling a talc powder called "Monkey Butt", and a bar of lye soap called "Grandma's Lye Soap"
(more for the tweak on concept than interest in the real goods.)
For me, even with my consumption, I don't care for anything that gets me to the point my caffeine reminds me of a huge adrenaline surge. Seems too easy to get there with the fractional volumes I have found, Robusta to Arabica, in other commercial preparations. And I haven't explored Robusta in green beans at all, yet.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 4:58pm

Well, I ordered a T-shirt and a bag of the coffee. I only got the coffee for the free shipping, figuring it was worth a try.

Verdict: Markedly over-roasted and oily. I could not really tell that it was Robusta due to the dark roasting. Too bad. Don't be tempted.

I like the shirt though.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
allisachasity

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 6:41am

I'm not interested in this coffee. I think this is called Pirates Coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 10:48am

If they still have it, I would check out the pure robusta espresso from Paradise Roasters. It's quite good, has really nice vanilla flavor to it and tons of crema. However, do be careful I made three espressos with it over the course of an hour and was very caffine sick, when I can normally take that quite easily.

Less water, more grounds.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 4:35am

The “Death Wish Coffee Co” is using the logo that warns poisonous substance. I hope that the company used this symbol not as a warning that their coffee is dangerous to your health due to its highly caffeinated coffee. I doubt if the company has also the idea that dangerous drinks like alcohol and smoking cigarettes is man’s favorite.

As a matter of fact, cigarettes and alcohol drinks command high sells even the government warn the danger. However, with due respect to the company’s logo, I hope that the logo doesn't connotes bad image to coffee industry.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 5:58am

Iluvdabean Said:

Its called Death Wish Coffee. I am not interested but just to keep people informed I am posting this.
http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/buy-now.html

Posted September 9, 2013 link

Seems like they have a good marketing plan in place.  Lots and lots of testimonials and publicity on major news networks, FWIW.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Just found out...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250944137573)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+