Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Tips for developing palate/knowledge
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Tips for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mike868y

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 8:05pm
Subject: Tips for developing palate/knowledge

Hi everyone,

I've been getting more and more into coffee brewing and drinking the past 3 years or so. Started with a hand grinder/french press and currently use a caspresso infinity with a french press or bialetti (college student so not a ton of money to spend on gear right now. looking to pick up a gaggia classic with my tax return). I also work at a cafe where we use a rancilio classe 8 and brew ceremony roasters destroyer.

Anyway, I'm looking to further develop my palate/ability to taste the nuances of different coffees. I've been trying various blends in my bialetti and enjoying comparing them. A local coffee shop also offers weekly cuppings so I'm going to start attending those as well. Any other things I could do? Books to read? Roasts to try in the bialetti/french press?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 1:55am
Subject: Re: Tips for developing palate/knowledge

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Cupping coffee or wine and whisky tasting is an aptitude that can be learned. What we call flavor is a complex sensation composed of taste (salty, sweet, bitter, sour), smell (aromas like caramel, fruity, chocolate, etc.) and mouthfeel (hot, oily, watery etc.), but it's mostly your nose that needs to be trained to identify those aromas.

In order to learn wine tasting, for example, you can get vials of the most common aromas found in wine like berries or peach. You start by smelling those until you can identify them. Then you progress to smelling and tasting wine and try to discover those aromas. By then, it's usually fairly easy to identify frequent and predominant aromas like blackberry or tannic acid. It's basically all about activating our nose memory.

For cupping coffee it's basically the same. The coffee taster's flavor wheel can help to name your sensations. Maybe this Beginner's Guide to Cupping can help you as well.

However, taste is highly subjective.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
mike868y

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 7:14am

Thanks for the info! I've already read that article and will report back with how the cupping goes...assuming this snow doesn't cancel it :(
Ryebread119
Ryebread119
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Sixties
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 7:38am

I've found that cooking has helped my cupping. The more spices/dishes/fruits you use, the larger your vocabulary gets. Challenge yourself to try at least one new thing each week. That way, when you cup a Kenya Kirinaga, you can say it's more similar to a Campbells tomato soup as compared with a Progresso tomato soup. Or, determine that a washed Costa Rican coffee tastes more like a Cara Cara orange than it does a Grapefruit. (I think you get the idea)

...And I know it might sound weird, but when you're in a new place, smell everything. I wouldn't have been able to fully describe the aroma of a Vietnamese coffee without having entered a tire shop and smelling a stack of new rubber tires.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Listen to the steam, the sign of a good drink is in it's acoustics.
masonjer

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:43pm

I think it helps to taste as many coffees as possible from as many different countries as possible.  Eventually you begin to build a reference for certain flavors.  Not sure there is a ton that helps other than constant cupping/tasting.  I know a lot of roasters use sensory evaluations with actual fruits/vegetables etc., to build a knowledge of what actual food items taste like and the ability to pick certain flavors out.  This flavor wheel is also a tool i use that was just made available by counter culture. Click Here (counterculturecoffee.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tropellor
tropellor
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:00pm

This "taster's wheel" is a great reference as well that could help identify a few flavours for you?

Click Here (baristamagazine.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Tips for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223515033722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+