Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Getting started with air popper - bean suggestions?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Getting started...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
xardoz
xardoz
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: KA Proline
Grinder: KA Proline
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos
Drip: Newco OCS-12
Roaster: UFO/TO
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 8:38am
Subject: Getting started with air popper - bean suggestions?

Hi,

I'm picking up an air popcorn popper tonight and am about to order a couple of pounds of green beans.  Can anyone suggest a bean that works well with air poppers and home roasting newbies?

I'm partial to Intelligentsia after the great service I had when visiting recently, but I'm open to Sweet Maria's or others.

Thanks!

Brian

I'm an enigma - an enigma wrapped in a riddle, and smothered in secret sauce.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pfonke

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: FF!X3
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCI
Drip: Presto Scandi/Krups...
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 9:48am
Subject: Re: Getting started with air popper - bean suggestions?

It's a matter of taste, I suppose.  And it will depend on what you're roasting for.   I'm a new roaster, though, and for espresso I can say that I have found Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber to be great from my first attempt to roast it.  It also seems to give a good cup at a variety of roasts from Full City to Vienna.

Really, just dive in.  You won't be sorry.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:18am

xardoz Said:

Hi,

I'm picking up an air popcorn popper tonight and am about to order a couple of pounds of green beans.  Can anyone suggest a bean that works well with air poppers and home roasting newbies?

I'm partial to Intelligentsia after the great service I had when visiting recently, but I'm open to Sweet Maria's or others.

Thanks!

Posted March 14, 2005 link

If you want to practice your roastin g skills before you start roasted espresso blends, I recommend a Coilombian...a very easy bean to roast...
As several here have suggested, purposely take it to "char", so you can observe the process with your senses...hearing the cracks, smell, color of bean as it changes...use a stop watch to get a rough idea...after you've done this...maybe install a Cooper thermometer so you can observe temperatures...it helps in duplicating your roasts...
Read Sweet maria's popper threads....
Keep us posted!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
xardoz
xardoz

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 11:45am

Thanks everyone - I've taken the "easy" way out and just ordered Sweet Maria's 8-pack sampler.

It's coming UPS ground, so I won't see it until next Monday, but that's okay.

I'll keep everyone posted, and try to take some pictures.  I'm thinking about putting a rheostat or switch of some sort on the heating coils of the popper once I get it, so I can kill the heat, but keep the fan circulating air to speed the cooling.

Brian

TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 8:28pm

xardoz Said:

Thanks everyone - I've taken the "easy" way out and just ordered Sweet Maria's 8-pack sampler.

It's coming UPS ground, so I won't see it until next Monday, but that's okay.

I'll keep everyone posted, and try to take some pictures.  I'm thinking about putting a rheostat or switch of some sort on the heating coils of the popper once I get it, so I can kill the heat, but keep the fan circulating air to speed the cooling.

Posted March 14, 2005 link

When I received my first roaster as gift from my wife, I got that sampler too.  Believe me it is a great way to go, you will get a nice basis for roasting and different coffee flavors available.  It is a real great way to get a sample of different coffees!  Good luck!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
Skioutwest

Espresso: Alex Duetto
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Starbucks Barista 12 Cup
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (convert from...
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005, 9:01pm

For new roasters, I recommend getting "Ugh, This is Baggy!" from Sweet Maria's.  It is a lb. of old beans for 70 cents.  Great to use for practice....

The 8 bagger is great to start off with too!!

-Mark
Fountainhead

Espresso: RIP
Grinder: Mr. Coffee
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2005, 1:57am

I too just recently started roasting w/ an air popper.  Of course it's all a matter of taste, but that's probably not the answer you wanted...  I haven't had a chance to try a huge variety of beans yet, but right now I would say my best result was from Ethiopian Yrgacheffe roasted fairly dark, about 30-60 seconds into 2nd crack.  Interestingly enough, the worst result I've had (other than the charcoal run) was also Yrgacheffe, but roasted really light.  It might appeal to some, but it tasted pretty foul to me...  I'm not big on waste, so I blended those in about 1/8 proportion to darker Yrgacheffe and/or Costa Rican Yauco Selecto -- they actually complemented fairly well..  The Yauco Selecto is also quite tasty, and seems to be much more palatable with medium-light roasts.

That sampler was probably the best way to go.  Lots of potential experimentation with roasts/blends there!
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2005, 2:52am

I learned to roast using Guatemalan. It has a distinctive first and second crack. I would go to the Green Coffee Cooperative and get a bunch of beans to practice with. If you made it to this point before you know it you will have an enormous collection of green beans. I think all of the home roasters I know have very large stashes of green coffee. And they are always looking for something new to roast.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
xardoz
xardoz

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:21am

UPS's tracking site says my beans have been delivered!  I can't wait to get home from work - I'll roast, and then tomorrow morning it's grindin' and brewin' time!

Brian

JJDChE

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Technivorm CD10
Roaster: Toastmaster/SCTO
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2005, 1:37pm

Have fun, man.  I just got my first Sweet Maria's sampler pack last Friday.  I roasted up a 1/2 lb of Colombian Huila Supremo and its been great.  I can't wait to roast some more tonight!

coffee before noon, beer after noon.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Getting started...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297705888748)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+