Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Alpenrost upgrade/fix
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Alpenrost...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
aferencz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: bezzera
Roaster: alpenrost heathware
Posted Sun Aug 1, 2004, 3:24pm
Subject: Alpenrost upgrade/fix

My family bought me an Alpenrost for Christmas replacing my second Precision.  I've been an espresso addict for over twelve years and I started roasting about two years ago.   The Alpenrost was not as good as I expected probably because I had to rely too much on my ears and nose and not at all on the eyes.  I purchased an electronic scale to get better consistency but it did not help too much.  Sometime after about the tenth batch the beans started coming out greener and greener.  The more I cranked up the number the greener they got (explanation later).  I got an RMA number from Alpenrost and sent it back to someplace in NY.  It came back with a little sticker on the bottom, worked again once and went 'green' again.  Hmmm..

I trolled the forums and found I was not the only one with the problem.  Reading into some of the discussions I came to the (maybe incorrect) conclusion that it was run 'open loop' - the temperature was 'set' at the factory and because of variation in ambient temperature and AC voltage probably differed a lot from house to house and roast to roast.

Since my profession is electronics and power control I decided to rip into the Alpenrost and replace everything electrical.  I designed a new control printed circuit board with a thermocouple sensor (good to 550degC, about 5 degC accurate with my measurement circuit), microcontroller (the aplenrost has two - one for the display and one for the control - but it obviously didn;t control the right thing), updated display, cleaner cables, less parts, less cost (listening mr. alpenrost?), and more features.  My goal was to create a series of programmable 'profiles' that could be updated with the four buttons.  The two boards (power, display) were kept the same size with the same mounting holes (no need to fix something that works).  The up/down arrows select the program, run starts the process, cool stops the process and starts the cooling cycle.  The cycle runs for two minutes or until the thermal sensor reads 125degF or less.  It then ejects the beans.

Yesterday my friend and I tested the design and it works as designed.

Why did I get the green beans?  During the upgrade I decided to keep the 'protection' circuit attached to the heating element.  I ran a profile at 425degF and I noticed the temperature started to decrease after two minutes.  Was my board bad?  Nope...the protection sensor had disconnected the heating element.  After a few minutes it worked again.  So I think (can't be 100% certain) if you have geen beans coming out it is because the thermal protection is set below the factory 'set' roasting temperature.  I believe the RMA guy fixed the wrong problem or kept it too close.  I know my new board ran the chamber at 400degF for twenty minutes and did not shut down.

The unit now has nine possible roasting profiles of six setpoints/times.  When you run the profile the display shows temperature / 10 (35 = 350degF) and keeps the ambient temperature within about 20degF (hysteretic control bounces between the setpoint - 10F to the setpoint + 10F).  Otherwise the units runs the same...motor control, flap control, early user shutdown into a cooling cycle, etc.

I plan on posting some pictures of the new board.  I ran out of beans playing around yesterday and have an order coming any day.

I am in need of profile information for a drum roaster.   If you have any experience espcecially with variable profiles (start cooler, get hotter, etc) I would appreciate hearing from you.

I read about the new Iroast (?) which has the same capability of my updated alpenrost.  If I had only known...but don't I have something better - a home drum roaster with accurate time/temperature control?

Regards,

Andrew Ferencz
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Aug 1, 2004, 4:04pm
Subject: Re: Alpenrost upgrade/fix

Hi Andrew,

Have you looked for any answers here on the Coffeegeek forums? I've posted on alt.coffee & the Sweetmarias homeroast list about adjusting the Alp if it's roasting too cool. See: "Re: Alpenrost too cool", Lots of info under this whole thread & other threads I've posted about, thermal fuse, Vr1, Vr2, etc...

GREAT on a re-design on the Alp!

aferencz Said:

I ran a profile at 425degF and I noticed the temperature started to decrease after two minutes.  Was my board bad?  Nope...the protection sensor had disconnected the heating element.

Yes the circuitry cycles on & off starting at approx the 2 min mark & till you terminate the roast cycle by hitting the cool button. That is their feeble attempt at a roast profile & the overlimit thermostat (800F)  shuts everything down if it exceeds that temp & will reset after approx 15 mins.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 9:03am

When you refer to profiles, are these actual rising and falling temp settings that allow you to do things like extend roast time or get a longer plateau in between first crack and second crack?  In other words, are you able to get variable temperature settings withign a single roast cycle?  I'm one of the lucky one - my used Alp has always been consistent. If I keep the innards clean (Dawn Power Dissolver is the key) so that reflectance from the inner surface is consistent, my roast times are very consistent for given bean types - usually around 17 or 18 minutes is when rolling secind crack starts (depending on bean type).

I do wish there were greater control and I'd be very interested in a retrofit if it becomes available (hint hint).

Owen O'Neill
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 9:10am

Hi Owen,

If roasts don't quite seem to be roasting dark enough & taking too long.Take the bottom plate off of the bottom of the roaster & blow out all the accumulated chaff & chopped up chaff, it'll actually LOOK like fuzzy chaff, that collects around the printed circuit board. The reason, accumulated chaff increases the immediate environmental operating temps of the printed citcuit board. An increase in operating temps on the PCB RAISES resistance in the circuit, LOWERS current & hence., LOWER wattage & heat output.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
aferencz

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 9:16am

You can set up to six time/temperature per roasting cycle...variable temperature settings within a roast cycle.  

Right now I am getting all of the bugs out by running under different conditions.  I think that will take about a week and then I can publish some photos so you can see what I have done.  As I mentioned before when the unit is all closed up it looks like it just came out of the box.
aferencz

Posted Wed Aug 18, 2004, 4:09am

Update...

The new boards are now working.  I had to spend some time coming up with the temperature setpoints.  Right now I am experimented with a fixed 475degF profile and I want to try a lower temperature to dry the beans, a higher temperature to get the beans above 400, and then ??? My espresso is so good that I drink too much and spend my day jumping around.  Maybe this wasn't such a good project!

I called Alpenrost to discuss my design changes and found they are many steps ahead of me.  I don't want to let the cat out of the bag but suffice to say they know about the problems and are going to fix them.

If you are interested in the plans, PCB layout, BOM, etc. just email me directly and I can provide you with enough information to build yourself a better roaster.  

Regards,
Andrew
aferencz

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 6:23am

I am in the process of the PCB to remove a few 'reworks' so I can make the files and available to those interested.  In the meantime here are some pictures of the new and old boards...

aferencz: alpenrost_orignal_ctl.jpg
(Click for larger image)
aferencz

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 6:24am

Here is the new control board...

aferencz: alpenrost_new_ctl.jpg
(Click for larger image)
aferencz

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 6:24am

and here is where I put the thermocouple...

aferencz: J_tc_location.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Mikelo

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:47pm

DO you have a schematic or better yet unstuffed PCB board available?
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Alpenrost...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309272050858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+