Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Separating Bean from Chaff
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:09am
Subject: Re: Separating Bean from Chaff

ThanksALatte, can you give your experience with Ambex for us? Pretend you're a salesman, sell us one! I'd like to hear.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ThanksALatte

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria
Grinder: Faema
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 11:36am

Well, unless Terry at Ambex is going to pony up some commission, I'll stick to a soft sell :)

The Ambex is what I learned on and what I own so I'm most comfortable with it.  I really believe you can't go wrong with any of the major roaster manufacturers so I'm not going to say "Buy an Ambex and not a Diedrich, Probat, etc".  Part of the decision making process (at least for me) is how comfortable you feel about going into business with a certain company.  I say "going into business with" because simply buying a roaster is only the first step.  You will require answers to tons of questions as you progress.  Should you ever need to move up to a larger roaster, it's likely that you would purchase from the same company provided you've been happy with the experience.  Both Ambex and Diedrich rated high on the comfort level for me.

Ambex was less expensive and put on a good information and training session (have heard good reviews of Diedrich's sessions as well).  One minor factor for me was that Ambex is in the same timezone as I am.  I figured if the crap hit the fan and I needed a part or a quick mechanical walkthrough, at least their hours of operation would be similar to mine (hey, I did say it was a minor point).  They also gave me a baseball hat :)

Terry, Kathy and Paul at Ambex seem to be involved in just about every facet of the coffee industry and that gives me comfort as well.

A point about the digital controls.  Those are all options at Ambex that can be ordered with the roaster or added on later.  Don't get the impression that an Ambex is digitally controlled and the roaster (person) is simply a button pusher.  Their Roast Illuminator, Profile DCQ and Profile Plus DCQ should be thought of as tools rather than automation.  I cannot give reviews on these products as I opted to not go with any of them at this point although I am looking into adding the Roast Illuminator down the road and would likely go with the Profile DCQ on a larger roaster.

If you are looking to make a roaster purchase, make sure you have a long timeline.  You will not be able to pick up the phone and have a new roaster on your doorstep in a month.  Plan ahead.

Again, just to be clear....I'm not recommending Ambex over Diedrich or anyone else.  They were the right choice for me and I'm happy with my decision.
 View Profile Link to this post
coffee_monkey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:07pm

Psyd Said:

Now, even my girlfriend has noticed the similarities in the way that you and I think, and its starting to scare both of us just a tiny bit.  I was on my way to get new filters and such for the shop vac for just that kind of experiment, and she was the one that sugested that it'd make a huge mess.  Of course, so far, this is the winning method.  Any other contestants?

Posted February 22, 2006 link

Someone else posted this method before and it works pretty well. You put the beans into a plastic tuppleware container. Close the lid and shake the crap out of it. The shaking breakes up the chaff and the static charge that build up on the container wall sucks them off the beans. Scoop the beans up carefully and you have (almost) chaff free beans at minimum mess.

www.barismo.com
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 6:07pm

Psyd Said:

Hey, I'm getting some great coffee custom blended and roasted for me through an ex of a friend of a friend.  I'm paying for greens and shipping and getting a blend and roast designed around what I like in a coffee, so kvetching about some chaff that comes along with is kinda out of the questions.  The guy obviously knows what he's doing (the coffee is enormous) but the stuff comes with more chaff than I can ignore.  What's an easy and clean way to get the stuff to go away?

Hello.  If you are roasting outdoors just get a fan and put one metal pot in front of the fan and pour your roasted beans down into the pot so that the stream of beans goes in front of the fans airflow.  Blows the chaff off beautifully.  Either that, or dump the beans from one pot into another pot in a good wind.

Costs nothing ...  and cleanups a breeze ...

(ouch)

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:38pm

Psyd Said:

The guy obviously knows what he's doing

#1. So tell the guy to get rid of the chaff.
#2  Unless there is WAY too much chaff, it shouldn't affect your cup.  Even for espresso.
#3  I use a metal mesh metal (16") that is sold primarily to cover food for outdoor eating (most come in a cloth "tent").  Got it at a kitchen supply online.  I dump my hot beans in it and toss them pretty high while making a quarter turn.  Beans land in the mesh.  Chaff drifts off. 3-4 tosses does the job.  IMO, shop vacs and cooling contraptions are major overkill, but you are not roasting anyway.  But you should.   #: o )
Martin
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:47pm

heatgunroast Said:

#2  Unless there is WAY too much chaff, it shouldn't affect your cup.  
Martin

Posted February 24, 2006 link

Disagree..... chaff, any chaff adds an undesireable taste.

Thats one i have been playing with lately. For a while i got lazy and dismissed a little but getting back to basic i have noticed a big difference if all chaff is removed. It not that hard.

Dan

Dan Brewer
Shepherd

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 4:46am

Hey, what about a salad spinner? Never tried it, obviously, but wouldn't it force the chaff out through the slots and keep the beans in the main chamber?
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 7:46am

heatgunroast Said:

IMO, shop vacs and cooling contraptions are major overkill, but you are not roasting anyway.  But you should.   #: o )
Martin

Posted February 24, 2006 link

It's not overkill if you're roasting 4lbs a batch. Try tossing that around without losing half in the grass. :-)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 8:29am

Shepherd Said:

Hey, what about a salad spinner? Never tried it, obviously, but wouldn't it force the chaff out through the slots and keep the beans in the main chamber?

Posted February 25, 2006 link

Hello.  I think it would be the other way around.  Due to centrifugal force, the heavier objects (the beans) would try to escape the spinner.  They likely would not due to the smaller slots.

However that does bring up an interesting question.  Would the chaff stay behind the beans toward the center of the spinner?  Or would static electricity just cause the chaff to stick to the beans themselves wherever they may be in the spinner?

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 11:58am

poison Said:

It's not overkill if you're roasting 4lbs a batch. Try tossing that around without losing half in the grass. :-)

Posted February 25, 2006 link

My response was specific to the original poster, whom I assumed was not getting 4lb batches of chaffy coffee.  Could be wrong on that.  Curious to know how often you roast, and if more than one batch every couple of weeks, where all the coffee goes.  Seems that there's a point at which "homeroasting" crosses over into coffee roast "production"  w/ permanent setup of drum, vac., etc.
Martin
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370875120163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+