Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Introducing The AlumiDrum: My Homemade Sample Roaster!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Introducing The...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 5:43pm
Subject: Re: Introducing The AlumiDrum: My Homemade Sample Roaster!

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Tim,

In all seriousness, I think you are on to a campground roaster.  Don't give up on the AlumiDrum!  A company called Kramerica may offer you venture capital for its development!

Actually, just go to the supermarket with your magnet.  Maybe some of the coffee cans ARE aluminum.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

Posted January 25, 2007 link

Hi Len!  Yeah but I'd feel terrible taking even one penny for such a simple item.  Heck if I can build it anyone can!  No need to pay me for anything! ;)

Craig (and anyone else interested),

I did a 100g (green weight) and it went well.  That is until after first crack and the beans began to expand!  Actually it didn't go too bad, but I did start to lose a few beans out the hole.  Over the coarse of the whole roast I lost about 8 beans.  I still hit Vienna in 13:30 minutes (I was testing maximum load and whether or not I would have the thermal power to achieve a worthwhile roast).  I am finding the can that condenses the heat at the drum vital.  It's odd but I was able to hold my hands about a quarter of an inch away from the standing can and my hands were completely cool (with burner on HIGH for the whole roast)!  It appears that all the heat was being focused up towards the drum.  That's a very good thing.  I'll keep you guys posted after further roasts and I'll attempt to offer up specific profiles soon.  In the mean time enjoy this photo of tonight’s successful 100g roast:

TimEggers: 100gs.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cosmo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Coffee Gaggia
Grinder: M4 stepless
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: *bucks barista :(
Roaster: saving for a Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 6:52pm

Tim, I hate you. Why? Because I had it all figured out just about a month ago. I was definately going to buy a Gene Cafe.  But as I kept reading posts, many by you, both here and over at HB, discussing the best ways to home roast, I came around to the point of deciding that maybe the new Hot Top was the way to go, then came the price shock and depression.  Some more reading, and visits to you website, (and others) and I realized that the RK was really the way to go.  So I started to price stuff, (I need a dedicated barbeque because I have a Traeger Wood pellet smoker grill) and barbeques won't really be back in stock at Home depot until spring. But that was Ok. I could save up money. After all, I need to build a cooling thingie, and it's cold in the garage, and March is my birthday, and I convinced my wife to give me a corner of the garage to home roast, so I'm thinking things are looking good.  I got some money saved. I'm planning for the purchases, and you come up with this cheap, easy, way to roast.  

Oh wait! I don't have a gas stove.

Never mind, we are good.

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 7:55pm

Cosmo Said:

Tim, I hate you. Why? Because I had it all figured out just about a month ago. I was definately going to buy a Gene Cafe.  But as I kept reading posts, many by you, both here and over at HB, discussing the best ways to home roast, I came around to the point of deciding that maybe the new Hot Top was the way to go, then came the price shock and depression.  Some more reading, and visits to you website, (and others) and I realized that the RK was really the way to go.  So I started to price stuff, (I need a dedicated barbeque because I have a Traeger Wood pellet smoker grill) and barbeques won't really be back in stock at Home depot until spring. But that was Ok. I could save up money. After all, I need to build a cooling thingie, and it's cold in the garage, and March is my birthday, and I convinced my wife to give me a corner of the garage to home roast, so I'm thinking things are looking good.  I got some money saved. I'm planning for the purchases, and you come up with this cheap, easy, way to roast.  

Oh wait! I don't have a gas stove.

Never mind, we are good.

Mike

Hi Mike!

Man I loved your comments (still laughing)!  Actually I would bet that you wouldn't need a gas stove to use a setup like this.  I bet than an electric range could work quite nicely (not sure what you have in your kitchen).

Hey if that weren’t an option an inexpensive propane camping stove would work very nicely!

Your comments on prices really sent me thinking.  I'll be honest, I love my RK Drum for larger batches (remember the soup can roaster can only do 100g or less) and the RK Drum allows great control over the roast.  I built the SCR because I wanted to be able to pull samples for visual inspection and acquire and record actual bean temperatures (like commercial roasters) while using a simple and cheap to build unit that wouldn't require a lot of extra purchases.  I originally intended to use the SCR over an inexpensive electric range, which I was going to stand on something to get it up under the drum.  I was going to do that because I didn't think my stove would heat the drum with it that far above the flame.  I was wrong (especially with the chimney can).

I encourage you to find what works best for your needs and budget.  Like I say I love my RK Drum and now I am loving the SCR for what it allows me to do during the roast.  I finally have all the features that I want in a roasting setup and you know what I didn't break the bank to do it!  I must add too that I find being able to watch the roast (especially when learning to roast) is simply invaluable.  I began with the RK Drum after pan roasting so I was used to the sounds vs. smells to tell where I was in the roast.  However adding to that visual inspection makes precision even better.  I can see myself using the SCR a lot, especially once I get my infrared thermometer.

Remember home roasting is a journey...never a destination.  Roast on my friend roast on!

Tim Eggers
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 8:19pm

TimEggers Said:

Hi Mike!

Man I loved your comments (still laughing)!  Actually I would bet that you wouldn't need a gas stove to use a setup like this.  I bet than an electric range could work quite nicely (not sure what you have in your kitchen).
...snip...Remember home roasting is a journey...never a destination.  Roast on my friend roast on!

Tim,

Question on your infrared thermometer.  Are you aware of any that can actually withstand a constant environment of 600+ degrees Fahrenheit?

Can they "see" through double-paned ceramic glass?

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 8:57pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Tim,

Question on your infrared thermometer.  Are you aware of any that can actually withstand a constant environment of 600+ degrees Fahrenheit?

Can they "see" through double-paned ceramic glass?

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

Hi Len,

No I'm afraid I don't!  I have seen models that will read up to a few thousand degrees, however the actual hand held units are not designed to be in those temperatures themselves.  So mounting one inside a roaster is probably out of the question...

Also as far as seeing through glass I've read that just isn't how they work, unless you use a special type of glass which I have read is difficult to see through.

Perhaps some others here can offer better information?

Tim Eggers
RoastMonkey
RoastMonkey
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Slayer, coming soon
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Hario, Nylon filter
Roaster: Pimped U.S. Roaster 3K
Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007, 6:59am

What happens with the chaff? Does it stay in the can? How do you get rid of it?

Fresh Off the Roast, Micro-Roasters
www.freshofftheroast.com
www.qualiacoffee.com
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007, 7:51am

RoastMonkey Said:

What happens with the chaff? Does it stay in the can? How do you get rid of it?

Posted January 30, 2007 link

The chaff remains in the can throughout the roast until cooling where I blow it off the beans.  With a 75g batch or so there really isn't enough chaff to cause any problems.

If I was doing a pound or so that may be a different story...

Tim Eggers
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007, 9:06pm

Dude, that so totally rocks.

Agitator that I am, though, I wonder if you'd try this after perforating the sides of the thing a bit.

Here's a notion -- forget the vanes entirely and just punch holes inward, creating a very rough dimpled interior. The friction of all that sharp punched hole metal (I'll bet the trades have an actual term for that) would be enough to keep agitation going -- though it wouldn't probably be of the "falling through space" variety.

Darned cool way of doing things, dude. Darned cool. Keep up the good work!

- Scott
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007, 11:13pm

rasqual Said:

Dude, that so totally rocks.

Agitator that I am, though, I wonder if you'd try this after perforating the sides of the thing a bit.

Here's a notion -- forget the vanes entirely and just punch holes inward, creating a very rough dimpled interior. The friction of all that sharp punched hole metal (I'll bet the trades have an actual term for that) would be enough to keep agitation going -- though it wouldn't probably be of the "falling through space" variety.

Darned cool way of doing things, dude. Darned cool. Keep up the good work!

- Scott

Posted January 30, 2007 link

Thank you Scott!

I actually did attempt a vaneless roaster as you say; it didn't really work too well.  There just wasn't enough friction to get a good mix especially compared to vanes.

I am finding myself appreciating the simplicity of this set-up and I think it's one that anybody could reproduce in his or her kitchen (hey if I can do it...).  I didn't use any special tools (a sharp nail would probably work instead of the Dremel tool I actually used) or materials.  A soup can, inexpensive oven liners from Wal-mart (by the cheap foil baking pans) and a few pipe clamps readily available at almost every hardware store.

It also allows me to do things that other off-the-shelf home roasters didn't allow.  They say necessity is the mother of invention and I didn't have to break the bank to do it!

Tim Eggers
wesc

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2010, 7:06pm

Tin cans are steel cans with a very thin coating of tin.    The inner layer is coated with epoxy.     The epoxy coating prevents the steel from rusting and altering the flavor of the contents.    

The epoxy coating is what you should be very concerned about.    Epoxy is made using Bisphenol-A (BPA), which has been linked to a number of reproductive and developmental disturbances.   That coating will get burnt off and embedded in your beans.   BPA may survive the heat, or something else may be created.    I seriously doubt that it's safe.

Tin is also toxic, but I'm pretty sure it won't burn off at coffee roasting temps.

To be safe, take a plumber's torch and burn off the plastic coating, outdoors with plenty of ventilation.     Then u should be good to go.

-W
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Introducing The...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377226114273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+