Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Thermometer for the Z&D?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Thermometer for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:24pm
Subject: Thermometer for the Z&D?

My Z&D has arrived and I have done several roasts.  So far I think I am going to like it.

I had been using my modified HWP (Guide tube in lid to direct a thermocouple wire to the beans and controlable temperature).

With the Z&D (so far no mods) I have gotten roasts which are similar to what I was getting with the modified HWP.  

I preheat the roaster, load the beans between the dark roast line and the standard line on the chamber, and dump the beans into the cold HWP when the roast is complete rather than rely on the very slow cooling of the Z&D.

Since I have gotten used to the idea of controling roast profile I don't want to go back.  I need to mount a thermometer in the Z&D.  The first thought is the guide tube approach which I used on the HWP.  The problem is drilling a hole in the lid will put an end to my warranty.

I will have to also control the heat, but I would like to know what roast profile I am getting before making that sort of commitment.

Does anyone know of a thermometer which can be hung from the chaff cup such that the probe part is in the beans,  can stand the temp in the roast chamber,  and be seen through the roast chamber.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DMHinCO

Posted Tue Dec 16, 2003, 7:47pm
Subject: Re: Thermometer for the Z&D?

I thought you had a thermocouple. I suggested a way in your other thread on this topic to route it without drilling. Did that work?

The beans are moving, of course. I don't know the stiffness of the thermocouple wire, but perhaps a rigid sleeve will work to hold it in the beans.

I'm not sure if that answers your question.

BTW, you said you have two roasting chambers. You might consider tossing one in the freezer. After the roasting cycle, you might try pouring your hot beans into the frozen chamber and running through the cool cycle. That way, you receive the smoke-reduction benefit for all but the few seconds you are dumping your smoking beans from one chamber to the other.

Yes, you are risking breaking the glass. Mine never has, though. But I don't do it often. I was mainly doing it when I was trying to detect a taste difference between rapid cooling and the Z&D cooling. With drip or presspot coffee, I could never perceive a difference. If it breaks, it is a $20 mistake.

Tip Sheet for the Zach & Dani's Roaster at quovadimusllc.com/zad.html
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Dec 18, 2003, 3:12pm
Subject: Re: Thermometer for the Z&D?

Hi DMHinCO,

I did look at your sugestion.  Buy the way excellent tip sheet.  I think it is a must read for Z&D owners.

I looked at the lid on the Z&D.  Inside the plastic cover is an aluminum duct made of two stampings which are bonded together apparently with some adhesive.  Some drilling will be required.  At the time I was reluctant to make any visible mods which would effect my warranty.

Since that time, I couldn't restrain myself so I looked inside.  I have mangled the heads of the screws which secure the base on which the roasting chamber sits.  I haven't found an exact replacement so my Z&D's unmolested status is no longer intact.

I will probably use the same guide tube approach I used on the HWP.

I think using a chilled second chamber will work.  I think the cold HWP will cool the beans faster since the base of the Z&D will be hot after the roast.
The HWP flows a lot more air. The down side of the HWP is no cat.  For a few seconds untill the bean temperature drops you get a bit of smoke.

One thing I noticed is the HWP has trouble agitating the larger load from the Z&D.  I mitigate the problem by picking the HWP and rocking it while the beans are cooling.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Thermometer for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221274852753)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+