Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Green Coffee Vendor List, Jan-2004
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Green Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Mon Feb 2, 2004, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: Green Coffee Vendor List, Jan-2004

pogo Said:

I have found that the big guy in the green bean business, you know who I am talking about.... Charges much more for the same bean than I can get it elsewhere.

Posted January 30, 2004 link

Thanks for leaving all the same beans at the 'big guys' place for some of us to purchase.

As an experiment, I ordered identical coffee beans from several sources at the same time, really to ascertain if what you alleged was true (did this a year ago). When they arrived, it was obvious they were not from the same lots, and I suspect, not from the same sources. Didn't mean they were all bad, but some were much better than others.

Like many in this group, I buy from several sources, including Coffee Bean Corral, and a supplier I talked to by phone after discovering a lot of a Zimbabwe AAA on e-bay, and Sweet Marias. Sweet Marias still get the bulk of my bucks. Their stock is fresher, quality the best (subjective opnion) and variety greater.

I have also ordered 2 really cheap lots of Arabicas from e-bay (different sources, different times) and only got burned once. The Costa Rican Hard Bean I ordered should have been relabeled 'dirt and pebbles in a sack'. I couldn't finish it, even though it was only $2.00 lb.

The other e-bay order turned out to be ok for a project to roast for giving out at holiday season as gifts. Didn't shine, didn't stink, didn't cost a fortune.

L  a  r  r  Y

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Feb 2, 2004, 3:38pm

ljguitar Said:

Thanks for leaving all the same beans at the 'big guys' place for some of us to purchase.

As an experiment, I ordered identical coffee beans from several sources at the same time, really to ascertain if what you alleged was true (did this a year ago). When they arrived, it was obvious they were not from the same lots, and I suspect, not from the same sources. Didn't mean they were all bad, but some were much better than others.

Well..., what do people expect if the greens you are comparing do not have the same chop marks??  If you order from ANYBODY (any # of people/vendors) & the bag identifying markings are not the same between vendors, what does a customer expect?

As mentioned by other posters in the thread about who does this, it's so you can be assured of the same green from the same lot, so there should/will be no variance in the taste of your coffee.

I'm just trying to help here... {:-/

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Amous

Espresso: Gaggie Teb, Ms. Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Roaster: Heat gun & Dog bowl
Posted Tue Feb 3, 2004, 10:57pm

Hi folks,

Here is a another place you can order the green bean. It is located North of Thailnd. Too far?.  Well, just in case you guy interested.

http://www.chiangmaicoffee.com/

They are selling two area of production, The Doi Chang and The Doi Intanon. Both is good quality arabica that gone throught wet process and has been kept over a year.  The cost I pay is 120 bahts / kolo or $1.36 / pound.

By the way, I have tried heat gun roasting for a month now.  The result is great since the first tried that I got a full city +.  I use the German made and a 10" diameter bowl.  I can do a pound max at a time.  

Thank to you guy who put an effort and shareing you experience in here.  Now it goes as far as half the world.
flydhest
flydhest

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 5:47am

Amous Said:

Hi folks,

Here is a another place you can order the green bean. It is located North of Thailnd. Too far?.  Well, just in case you guy interested.

http://www.chiangmaicoffee.com/

They are selling two area of production, The Doi Chang and The Doi Intanon. Both is good quality arabica that gone throught wet process and has been kept over a year.  The cost I pay is 120 bahts / kolo or $1.36 / pound.

Posted February 4, 2004 link

I'm embarrassed to admit that my Thai isn't as good as it ought to be to read the website.  I don't suppose they have an English-language site?  I'd be curious to learn more, although, I can't imagine what the shipping costs would be.
srwven

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90S
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: Stir crazy/convec oven
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 6:32am

ljguitar Said:

I have also ordered 2 really cheap lots of Arabicas from e-bay (different sources, different times) and only got burned once. The Costa Rican Hard Bean I ordered should have been relabeled 'dirt and pebbles in a sack'. I couldn't finish it, even though it was only $2.00 lb.

The other e-bay order turned out to be ok for a project to roast for giving out at holiday season as gifts. Didn't shine, didn't stink, didn't cost a fortune.

L  a  r  r  Y

Posted February 2, 2004 link

I feel your pain.  Just got in 9 lbs of ethiopians and brazil from an ebay vendor, who also has an "established" business.  Got a 1/4 cup of beans with defects out of one of the 3 lb. ethiopians.  There were more, I just got tired of sorting.
Neatherd
Neatherd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Isomac Macinino
Drip: Braun
Roaster: SC/Convection Aire, Presto...
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 7:01am

The quest for quality at the best price is a worthwhile journey.  Not everyone, but some just feel better if they pay a little more. For some people this is emotionally satisfying.

I have bought from these vendors and not been disappointed.
Coffee Bean Coral      http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/
Coffee Wholesalers    http://www.coffeewholesalers.com/coffee_green.htm
Jim Cameron               http://www.buzzroasters.com/jimcameron.asp
CMe Brew                   http://www.cmebrewcoffee.com/cmebrew_gourmet_coffee.html

As for me, I look for both, quality and best price.
The above vendors gave me both.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
E61
E61
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Faema E61
Grinder: Rossi RR45, Innova
Drip: Just french press
Roaster: HotTop/HWP
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 12:37pm

And my Thai is definetely not up to par either, but I found a link on the webpage to this English language site, that I guess is about the same coffee.

However I couldn't figure out how to order

Poul
Amous

Espresso: Gaggie Teb, Ms. Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Roaster: Heat gun & Dog bowl
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 8:00pm

Hi everyone,

I have done some checking for the shipping cost and WOoO...     My suggestion is better not place an order.

by UPS 1   kg.   =  $46
                     10 kgs. =  $91
                     25 kgs. =  $115

Or, if you really really wanted the bean, I can help coordinate the order.

Or, just in case you have a chance to visit Thailand, just e-mail me first.  I would be glad to provide you guys a sample of the green bean.

The websit that Mr. Poul found is a new wet process factory.  They do a complete line of coffee business.
The main production is The Doi Chang coffee, which believed by many local people to have the best aroma.  I am also using the Doi Chang production too.  It is good just like people said.
gajetjunkie
gajetjunkie
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Valentina Semi-auto ,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini ,Capresso...
Vac Pot: Not yet , French Press
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor , SC/TO
Posted Wed Feb 4, 2004, 9:38pm

I could have missed it in this thread , but if you like Kenya AA this is a site worth checking out.

http://batianpeakcoffee.com/index.html

50 lbs Kenya AA for only 95.99

Murray
lionsgate
lionsgate
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Bunn Grindmaster 875
Vac Pot: bodum
Drip: cuisinart
Roaster: 5k Fluid Bed
Posted Fri Feb 6, 2004, 6:25pm

Just to comment on eBay.  I'm sure there are a number of reputable coffee vendors on there.  But, beware of prices that seem really sweet.  I've seen a vendor advertising "100%" Kona at prices well below wholesale value (like $10/lb, roasted).  There's no way it's 100%, and the buyer would be lucky to be getting a 10% blend....

As a Kona farmer it pisses me off. But what can I do?  Just continue to sell my quality beans and hope he/she doesn't turn off a lot of neophytes who are tasting "Kona" for the first time.  

The moral here?  Buy direct where possible, either direct from a wholesaler you know and trust, or direct from a farm you know and trust.

Lions Gate Farms
www.coffeeofkona.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Green Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319138050079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+