Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Which Heat Gun?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Which Heat Gun?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Which Heat Gun?

Based on the posts here and on alt.coffee and some emails I received when compiling the primer, it seems that 14 CFM seems to be a minimum to achieve an even roast while 27 CFM was too prone to blowing the beans out of the roasting vessel.  So my recommendation so far is greater than or equal to 14 CFM and less than 27 CFM.  Unless I am roasting only a cup, I almost always have to stir the bean mass, either with a utensil or with the barrel of the heat gun.  

It is too bad that CFM is not routinely printed on the heatgun box for comparison purposes.  I had to find the CFM figures from trolling the Net.

PS: I forgot to initially mention that stirring by airflow is also a function of the surface area of the roasting vessel.  I am doing some experiments with some vessels that are shaped more like cake pans, with straight sides.  As a matter of fact, I think an uncoated 8" or 9" cake pan that is 3 inches deep would be an excellent roasting vessel.  The problem is that if the surface area is too large, the bean mass is too shallow and not enough heat is retained, making it difficult to reach first crack.  I did a two cup by volume roast the other day in a 96 oz. heavyweight steel dish from Drs. Foster and Smith that is 9.5" in diameter by 2.75" deep.  The bean mass was about 2-4 beans thick, and I was able to stir this via airflow only from the start of the roast.  It seemed to work pretty well, but I need to repeat my results to make certain.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Majnun

Grinder: Zassenhaus Turkish Mill
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Melitta Mill and Brew,...
Roaster: Heat gun/Mixing bowl
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 6:43pm

In reference to the posts about uneven roasts, with some beans being light, what I've been doing is stirring constantly with a wood spoon in my left, and moving the gun around an inch over the beans with my right.  I've gotten a very even roast this way.  The only one that wasn't was my first (and first ever batch), where I don't think I stirred as much and heated up too quickly.   My gun, the Milwaukee HT220 /Wagner doesn't have a heavy air flow, so it doesn't move the beans much by air, and I just put it on the high heat setting.   So, perhaps the lower cfm and manual stirring helps give an even roast.  Just a thought.

-Tom
 View Profile Link to this post
ArabicaFueled

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: Wagner HT 1000
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 7:11pm

WOW!  Spend a week working, and look what happens.  Has anyone got a current count on the number of heatgunners?  Seems like the community is growing pretty quickly.  Not a big surprise.  I guess the combination of low cost, immediate feedback, and fairly foolproof roasting of reasonably large batches is a pretty compelling combination.

Your bean agitation experiences sound a lot like mine.  I've got a gun that doesn't blow a huge volume of air, and I have to stir through the entire roast to keep it even.  I think that for those of us on the low end of the CFM and temp end of the spectrum are best served by:
 1) Stirring constantly
 2) Using a bbq grill to add heat and even things out

So, sad but true, I've got upgrade-itis.  I'm looking longingly at the posts of people who are blowing beans out of the dish :)

I just took a look at Ed Needham's site, and we haven't made it up there yet.  I assume that is what the primer that you're working on is for Michael?  If you need a hand with any content/pics, just let me know.

Todd M.
MGLloyd

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 8:03pm

ArabicaFueled Said:

I just took a look at Ed Needham's site, and we haven't made it up there yet.  I assume that is what the primer that you're working on is for Michael?  If you need a hand with any content/pics, just let me know.

Todd M.

Posted January 23, 2004 link

You are correct, Todd.  I am leaving the primer up for about a week to ensure that people get a chance to see it and make comments or send me their suggestions.  I took a bunch of pictures today when I roasted two batches of espresso and a pound of drip.  When I do the second draft and send it to Ed, it will have the pictures on his site.  

I very much anticipate the primer will be a work in progress as we all gain experience and trade tips on equipment and technique.  I have gotten many good suggestions for changes on the draft currently posted.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
heatgunroast
heatgunroast
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 9:02pm

ArabicaFueled Said:

I've got a gun that doesn't blow a huge volume of air, and I have to stir through the entire roast to keep it even.  I think that for those of us on the low end of the CFM and temp end of the spectrum are best served by:
 1) Stirring constantly
 2) Using a bbq grill to add heat and even things out

So, sad but true, I've got upgrade-itis.  I'm looking longingly at the posts of people who are blowing beans out of the dish :)

Todd M.

Reading Robo's discussion of heat transfer and air volume (on the primer thread) confirms what I've settled on through experience and explains a bit why I agree with Todd (or he agrees with me - - -who even knows anymore?).  
     IMO (got that? I said IMO  :o)    ) Stirring constantly is the best way to ensure an even roast (that, and allowing enough time before 1st c.) .  Using the heatgun to agitate beans is not.  At low CFM, it's necessary to get the gun nozzle right into or on top of the beans if you want a stirring effect.  I don't believe that the very high temp on the surface of the beans is a good idea (unless you stir like mad in which case, what's the point?).  At higher CFM, you start to experience the effect Rob noted of actually "removing" heat (well, sort of).  There is something "efficient" sounding about having the heatgun both heat and stir the beans, but when you think about it, what are ya going to do with the other hand anyway?  Now, it's entirely possible that Todd's gun is too wimpy- - -I don't know it.  But I'd sure avoid getting a blaster in hopes of roasting one-handed. (on the other hand, if it saves you from upgrade-itus making you want to upgrade some other appliance, like your car or your pacemaker, go for it, and report back soon.
Martin
MGLloyd

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 9:52pm

Snap Said:

Stirring constantly is the best way to ensure an even roast (that, and allowing enough time before 1st c.) .  Using the heatgun to agitate beans is not.  At low CFM, it's necessary to get the gun nozzle right into or on top of the beans if you want a stirring effect.  Martin

I wonder if 'stirring' vs. 'agitated' is merely a matter of semantics.  Certainly when I am moving beans in the bowl by stirring with a utensil vs. blowing with the heatgun, the beans seem to be tumbling and rotating regardless of method.  When using the heatgun to move the beans, they are not merely skidding about on a flat surface, but are rolling hither and yon as well.  I also agree that putting the muzzle too close at high heat can lead to scorching and incomplete roasting.  

I am beginning to think that the issue of stirring with aircurrents only may be very, very specific to the actual bean type (density and shape), the size/shape of the roasting vessel, the CFM put out by the heatgun and how close the muzzle is to the surface of the bean mass.  As such, it may be difficult to make generalizations.  I have noticed myself that the degree of supplemental stirring that I need with a utensil can vary depending on what bean I am roasting and which dogbowl I am using.  The CFM of the heatgun and the distance of the muzzle are constants.

As always, your mileage may vary but I would encourage people to err on the side of stirring with a utensil to ensure an even roast.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 10:52pm

Michael,

I was thinking about the evenness issue today.  I roasted a pound of Huehue using my usual kamikaze setup.  The Huehue is a small dense bean so I expected a fairly long roast to full city.  Plus it was barely 20 degrees here today.

Anyway, I tried keeping the beans in a nice layer and pushing heat in with minimal stirring.  That didn't work out.  By the time I noticed the top beans were tan, they were really tan with deep green underneath.  This was still way before 1st crack so I had plenty of time to even things out.  But I do think stirring constantly and slowly is important.  And moving the heat around.  Beans make terrible conductors.  I also think the small size of the bean contributed to a lack of airflow through the mass.

Jim

PS: I am getting the urge to try a different roasting chamber.  I think my bowl is a hair too big.  I may be coming fully over to the dog bowl side soon.

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
computerDr

Espresso: Mini Grimac
Grinder: solis maestro
Drip: krups
Roaster: milwaukee heat gun,...
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 8:04am

Jim,
   I too roasted on friday when it was 20's in Chicago.

It seems to me that under freezing it seems to get much more difficult.  I thought that was strange, but all of the roasting methods seem to stall out
when the temperature goes down.

The raising the temperature of the beans by another 10 degrees or so seems to be a minor issue (going from 20 degrees to 500 rather than from 30).  The problem seems to be the loss of heat from the vessel (and from the top).

What do you think about putting the nozzle into the beans so that it is more
even and more heat goes to the beans?

Jon
RoboCoffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: FR+, GG/SC, HG/DB
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 10:03am

Let's apply some more thermodynamics to the heat loss through the bowl issue. First, smaller bowl, smaller losses (actually, you want to minimize your surface/volume ratio).

Next, consider the thermal conducitivity of your bowl. Here, I may be a heretic - maybe metal bowls are bad. Metals have high thermal conductivity, which is good for heating from below but not from above. I doubt if anyone could roast coffee even in Tahitii in a thick copper pot using a heat gun.

So, we need insulators to conserve heat. How about wood? Maybe not. Glass is better than steel. Some ceramic bowl might be best.  You can find a nice table that can help you search through the kitchen here.
computerDr

Espresso: Mini Grimac
Grinder: solis maestro
Drip: krups
Roaster: milwaukee heat gun,...
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:05am

Robo,
    Interesting table.  There is another problem with materials and that of course is the resistantce to heat---that is, wood catches fire, rubber will melt.  For example, pyrex is not recommended for stove top cooking.

It was interesting to see that common building materials have low conductivity
(wood, brick).  I recently read a history of Gengis Khan, who lived in a really cold climate.  Their tents were made of felt, one of the smallest numbers on the chart.

A vessel of clay (Jim suggested it to provide insulation) for directly holding
the beans might be best.

Jon
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Which Heat Gun?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331351041794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+