Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Which Heat Gun?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Which Heat Gun?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
heatgunroast
heatgunroast
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:03am
Subject: Re: Which Heat Gun?

Texture seems to matter.  Didn't like my cast iron wok because stirring wasn't pleasant.  Slick surface is important to me.  Maybe I'll come across a promising glazed ceramic, but until then I'll stay with the heat trapping properties of db.
Martin
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 1:35pm

I've been thinking about this.  I want to find some insulating material that I could pack under a /\__/\ type dogbowl or a ceramic vessel of appropriate size and heat resistance.  I have some pyrex mixing bowls but I don't want to risk cracking one.  Maybe I'll spot one at a thrift store.

The bowl I'm using now is really not ideal.  When temps are above freezing it's not as much of an issue.  For January roasting, it becomes one.  If I see a flowerpot that might contain my roasting bowl, I could pack it with perlite around the bowl for insulation.  That would be a less portable solution but relatively cheap.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
MGLloyd

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 1:50pm

Snap Said:

Texture seems to matter. Maybe I'll come across a promising glazed ceramic, but until then I'll stay with the heat trapping properties of db.
Martin

Posted January 24, 2004 link

I had thought about using a Corningware casserole, but was unsure about how it would handle localized thermal stress, as opposed to the all enveloping heat of an oven.  The fact that a casserole of appropriate size would cost $ 15 and up, and I would have to worry about breakage as well more or less killed the deal for me.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Majnun

Grinder: Zassenhaus Turkish Mill
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Melitta Mill and Brew,...
Roaster: Heat gun/Mixing bowl
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 1:55pm

The air temperature question is interesting.  I'm coming from the other direction on the thermometer here in Michigan, I've done 5 heatgun batches now, 3 in the 20's and 2 in the teens.  It took 20 minutes this morning to do 2 cups of Indian Mysore to a full city roast.  It'll be interesting for me when it gets warmer in the spring to see if the low temps just make roasting take longer, or if it affects the taste or other things about the roast.

-Tom
Elankat

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Miss Sylvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bodum press pot & 1 cup pour...
Roaster: Heat gun/dog bowl
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 3:53pm

Having no experience at all with this, I had two thoughts about the heat loss.

First thought was to set the bowl in the base of a slow cooker. Just remove the ceramic crock pot out of a large crock pot and set the dog bowl inside it, then plug it in.

For air temperature from the top, I thought a heat lamp, a couple of shop lights with high watt bulbs hung low, or even a couple of suspended hair dryers could be used to warm the air temperatures around the bowl.

I don't know if any of these are solutions, but I thought I'd mention them.
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2004, 4:29pm

The following logic may simply be wrong, but it won't be the first time:  I like the combo of dogbowl on the grill because it adds steady heat and mitigates inevitable minor fluctuations from the heat gun.  Seems you'd need a very heavy mass bowl to perform that function.  Cast iron seems the likliest candidate.  But heating up an iron pan with a heatgun is no easy or quick matter.  Just a ceramic bowl won't make much of a difference.  IMO, heat loss from the metal bowl is not a significant issue and it may not be worth your while going to great lengths to avoid it with special materials or insulation.  I've never roasted below 40 f, but my best guess is that the colder it gets, the less (not more) influential the bowl effect might get.  Finally, I have roasted in wind, and wind does matter, even in my relatively warmer clime.  My recommendation for cold weather roasting is go max depth of the beans in as small a bowl as will work(maybe cut the batch size some); grill top if possible, fast stir, strong heat, moderate cfm, protect from wind, dress warmly and drink plenty of fluids.

#:o)
Martin
mearleg
mearleg

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: S/S Fondue Pot/Heat Gun
Posted Thu Feb 5, 2004, 2:51pm

Well, I can report first hand that the Craftsman Variable Temp Industrial Heat Gun works like a champ. Specs are 1500 watts, 2 different airflows ( 9.5 & 17.6 cfm), 6 LED's to indicate temperature (120, 210, 360, 650, 850, 1050 F), 30 oz. with 10 ft. cord. The temp is changed via a large round dial on the back of the gun.
Instead of using a dog bowl I used a 2 quart  stainless bowl that looks sort of like a fondue pot. It has 2 handles, one on each side. (Thankfully - that bowl got damned hot) The depth is 3.5 in., max width 6.75 in. and top opening size is 6 in. I used one cup of beans and roasted at 650 until the end of first crack, then speeded up the roast by dialing up the temp to 850. First and second crack were clearly audible and quite distinct in their beginning and end. Total roast time 12 minutes. No stirring utensile used, except the tip of the heat gun periodically. This was outdoors in 40+F weather. Chaff flew everywhere, but none burned. Some tried to clog the air intakes on the heatgun, but the air slots are too narrow for the large chaff bits to get inside the gun.
I cancelled my preorder for the Hearthware I-Roast today.

Mearle
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2004, 3:23pm

mearleg Said:

Well, I can report first hand that the Craftsman Variable Temp Industrial Heat Gun works like a champ. Specs are 1500 watts, 2 different airflows ( 9.5 & 17.6 cfm), 6 LED's to indicate temperature (120, 210, 360, 650, 850, 1050 F), 30 oz. with 10 ft. cord. The temp is changed via a large round dial on the back of the gun.
Mearle

Posted February 5, 2004 link

Interesting.  Great flexibility in the gun.  Hard to communicate without comparisons, but what can you say about the feel of the weight, the noise, and vibration?  High CFM with the 850 heat should cause less concern for beans getting a too-high surface temp with the gun tip submerged.  Trying to keep an open mind, but still can't feel comfortable without stirring.  Seems like when I get enough cfm to adequately move the beans, I either blow them out of control or dissipate the heat.  The Sivitz gun arrangement is more popper-like with beans falling back.  

Even many months after I'd been hg roasting, I pre-ordered the I-Roast almost as soon as it was announced.  The logic?  Finally, here's a roaster that promises to give me almost all of the control I have with the heatgun.  Duh!  Canceled the order after sitting with that logic for 2 wks.  
Martin
MGLloyd

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Thu Feb 5, 2004, 4:20pm

Boy, both the heatgun and the roasting vessel sound cool.  Did you buy the roasting vessel at a particular place?  It almost sounds like a tiny stockpot, and I cannot recall coming across something like that before.  I am quite the kitchen geek, so I am fairly familiar with cookware.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mearleg
mearleg

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: S/S Fondue Pot/Heat Gun
Posted Thu Feb 5, 2004, 6:09pm

The pot was found a a Good Will thrift store for $2.00
The Craftsman air gun is remarkable easy to handle and is not at all loud - unlike my wife's hair dryer. That thing drives crazy; I have to yell across the house to get her to shut the bathroom door when she runs the thing. I may suggest she use this new airgun on her hair and save our hearing.
Anyway a couple of pictures are attached.

Mearle

mearleg: Combo.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Mearle
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Which Heat Gun?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313158988953)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+