Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
shaneo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008, 1:47pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

I have a Behmor.   I chose the Behmor because I wanted to be able to roast inside.  It gets quite cold in northern Minnesota in the winter and winter is 4+ months long.
  I also felt the Behmor was a better and more responsibley run company.  Joe Behm is charging a fair price for the Behmor.  In my opinion, the Hottop guys are charging as much as they can get away with.
  One could split hairs and say the Hottop might be a bit sturdier that the Behmor, but it is not 2-3 times the cost studier.   I have no need to roast more than once or twice a week, so for me the Behmor is fine.   The larger capcity of the Behmor also is a nice thing to have.
  The Behmor does cool the beans in the chamber, so you have to learn how to anticipate the roast end and stop a bit early so as to coast the end of the roast.  
   I really like being able to roast in my kitchen.  I have the Behmor positioned next to my outside vented stove and have no smoke issues.
I can keep an eye on the Behmor while I am doing other things in the kitchen, so that also works out well.  

Shane
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008, 5:26pm

shaneo Said:

I have a Behmor.   I chose the Behmor because I wanted to be able to roast inside.  It gets quite cold in northern Minnesota in the winter and winter is 4+ months long.
  I also felt the Behmor was a better and more responsibley run company.  Joe Behm is charging a fair price for the Behmor.  In my opinion, the Hottop guys are charging as much as they can get away with.
  One could split hairs and say the Hottop might be a bit sturdier that the Behmor, but it is not 2-3 times the cost studier.   I have no need to roast more than once or twice a week, so for me the Behmor is fine.   The larger capcity of the Behmor also is a nice thing to have.
  The Behmor does cool the beans in the chamber, so you have to learn how to anticipate the roast end and stop a bit early so as to coast the end of the roast.  
   I really like being able to roast in my kitchen.  I have the Behmor positioned next to my outside vented stove and have no smoke issues.
I can keep an eye on the Behmor while I am doing other things in the kitchen, so that also works out well.  

Shane

Posted June 13, 2008 link

Behmor is a new roaster and AFAIK Ronco put in an offer to back them.  Hottop has been around longer and is not backed by anyone.

Hottop service from my own experience and what others report is excellent.  Prompt replies, prompt parts shipping, excellent warranty service.  They also design all their roasters to be control panel interchangable.

The choice of what roaster to go with is personal, for sure.  Don't dismiss the Hottop just on roasting capacity or price, though.  Personally I went with a Hottop because they've been around longer and have designed a roaster more similar to a commercial roaster than a modified toaster oven.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
shaneo

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008, 7:47pm

The Ronco deal with Behmor fell through last year, from what I have heard it was due to restructuring at Ronco or something.  Joe Behm decided to still bring the Behmor to market, without Ronco's backing.
  I looked at both roasters in detail person at the SCAA show.  There is no way the Hottop is worth three times the price of the Behmor.  The Hottop started at $500 and is now $900. it is still the same machine, new electronics, but the new fancy control panel is not worth an additional $400.  
  The Hottop inventor had zero interest in talking to anyone like me at the SCAA show.   Joe Behm took the time to talk to me and answer my questions.
  The toaster oven design on the Behmor allows for the smoke supression capabilities.  Do not dismiss the Behmor because it does not look like a mini commercial roaster.
  Behmor also has an enviromental manufacturing thing when the are trying to use an enviromentally freindly manufacturing process.
   Anyway I have rambled on a bit, my point was the Behmor can be used inside in one's kitchen and the Hottop can't.  The inside use can be a consideration for some people.

Shane
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008, 9:30pm

Well the real question is not wether ita a plane..train or automobile..the question is it worth 400.00 to 600.00 dollars more? Does it make beans that are twice as good or three times as good? Probably doubtful. So does the extra money warrant it based on ease of use or another feature....Hmmm??? Ive never used one but I have used the Behmor. So in the end I think probably more people will spend 300 for it rather than 700 to 900 for the Hottop.Please lets leave the cars out of it and just keep it on the bean. LOL. Oh me I own a 2008 Crew Cab Silverado....power...room and the towing package. Why let Al have all the fun in his huge SUV's?
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 6:39am

shaneo Said:

The Hottop started at $500 and is now $900. it is still the same machine, new electronics, but the new fancy control panel is not worth an additional $400.

The Hottops share the same design and parts.  The control panels make them different.  There is a big difference between the roasting potential of the base model Hottop compared to the greater control of the P and B models.  Full control either on the fly or pre programming of roasting profiles is what you're paying for.  Is it worth it?  After 2 years with a Hottop P I'm getting very good roasts.

shaneo Said:

... my point was the Behmor can be used inside in one's kitchen and the Hottop can't.  The inside use can be a consideration for some people.

Not true.  I've used the Hottop indoors from day one.  Unless you like to incinerate your beans it doesn't put out more smoke than a normal kitchen fan or oven hood can handle.  I hook mine up to a kitchen fan.  No smoke in the house.  Just a nice roasted bean smell.

mrgnomer: IMG_1901.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 10:30am

shaneo Said:

"  I looked at both roasters in detail person at the SCAA show.  There is no way the Hottop is worth three times the price of the Behmor.  The Hottop started at $500 and is now $900. it is still the same machine, new electronics, but the new fancy control panel is not worth an additional $400.  
  The Hottop inventor had zero interest in talking to anyone like me at the SCAA show.   Joe Behm took the time to talk to me and answer my questions."

Shane

I think your right on..Joe has a great product,great price and he stands behind it...the fact that he really cares is just icing on the cake.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 10:47am

mrgnomer,

That is a crazy lookin setup you've got there.  My wife banished me and my behmor to the basement... How did you swing getting that monster ventilation hookup in your kitchen and is it something you remove between roasts???  God, I'm jealous!  HAha.

Also, I should mention that I'm really happy with my Behmor.  It's a solid machine and I really like the fact that Joe stands behind his product.

-p
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 11:34am

philosogeek Said:

mrgnomer,

That is a crazy lookin setup you've got there.  My wife banished me and my behmor to the basement... How did you swing getting that monster ventilation hookup in your kitchen and is it something you remove between roasts???  God, I'm jealous!  HAha.

Also, I should mention that I'm really happy with my Behmor.  It's a solid machine and I really like the fact that Joe stands behind his product.

-p

Posted June 14, 2008 link

Sorry to hear about your banished Behmor.  I'm not just the house handyman but the cook too so the kitchen is pretty much my territory so I guess that's how I can get away with it ;)  Does mean I have to do all the dishes, though, and keep it clean :(
Still, my wife is pretty understanding and the kitchen fan modification isn't that noticable when not in use.  A good accordian type vent hose folds up pretty tight to the ceiling.   The hood cover is a big soft aluminum roasting pan with a hole through the middle.  I had an i Roast2 and it comes with an adapter to fit a vent hose over top.  With a bit of aluminum ducting tape holding the adapter on the pan and coat hangers to hang the pan onto the top of the Hottop I can catch pretty much all the smoke from a normal roast.  It's not pretty but it works.  Hood cover is removed and stored when not in use.  The ceiling fan end of the vent hose is attached to a cover I made and wired in place of the original ceiling fan cover.

mrgnomer: IMG_2889.JPG
(Click for larger image)
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 3:19pm

mrgnomer Said:

The Hottops share the same design and parts.  The control panels make them different.  There is a big difference between the roasting potential of the base model Hottop compared to the greater control of the P and B models.  Full control either on the fly or pre programming of roasting profiles is what you're paying for.  Is it worth it?  After 2 years with a Hottop P I'm getting very good roasts.

Not true.  I've used the Hottop indoors from day one.  Unless you like to incinerate your beans it doesn't put out more smoke than a normal kitchen fan or oven hood can handle.  I hook mine up to a kitchen fan.  No smoke in the house.  Just a nice roasted bean smell.

Posted June 14, 2008 link

Looking at your HT rig, I can't imagine why you have issues with the Bimmer looking like a toaster oven! :P
 View Profile Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 8:10pm

Behmor:

mrgnomer: behmor1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398169994354)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+