Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Cafesp

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 VII,
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Versalab...
Vac Pot: AeroPress, Bodum French...
Drip: Bunn HG phase brew!
Roaster: Learning...still...Hottop B
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 1:56am
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmer

veganjosh Said:

I know absolutely nothing about cars, so I can't get in on that analogy, but I have used both roasters, and here are my thoughts:

I've used my Hottop B extensively, and I absolutely love it --- when I upgraded it from the analog to the B (giving me control of temperature and fan), it completely changed everything about my relationship to coffee.  I'd been roasting for years on a Fresh Roast, iRoast, and analog Hottop...I felt like I did a pretty good job, and drank some pretty good coffee.  But, when I suddenly had control over the roast curve, I realized just how much I'd been missing.  Now, I actually can change how a coffee tastes, for the same roast level, depending on the curve --- as I've learned to do that more and more, my coffee quality has skyrocketed.  In addition, the extra control has made me think a lot more about specific beans --- how coffees from different regions, elevations, etc. should be roasted differently.  There's a lot left to learn, but, seriously, I can't state fervently enough how much the new Hottop controls have changed my relationship to coffee...I'm drinking far better coffee than I ever had, and I find the experience of buying and roasting coffees to be much more satisfying and interesting.

By comparison, I've only roasted on a Behavior a few times, while visiting my father, who recently upgraded to it from an iRoast2.  Without a doubt, the Behavior is a nice machine, and we got some good coffee out of it.  If it were between the Before and the old, analog or digital, Hottop, I'd consider the Behavior an easy choice.  However, without hacking the machine (since I don't own one, I haven't watched the hacking threads here, so I'm not sure what people have figured out on this end), it just doesn't offer you a whole lot of control on the roast.

So, the question (to me, at least) is: are you going to use the extra features the Hottop provides?  Are you going to really experiment with creating profiles...does that sound like something you'd enjoy or dread?  If you'd enjoy it, I think the Hottop is a great choice.  On the other hand, if you're not going to extensively use the profile controls, then you'd be paying an extra $400 for better cooling, which doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Just my opinion,
-Josh

Posted January 21, 2008 link

Thanks for sharing your opinion,
Smaller Hottop batch vs Behmors' is ok for me, I've been reading back and forth between HB & CG and our Spaz forums as well, to decide which one well suits for me!
It's even clearer for me to pick HT B model over P.
Thanks ALL for sharing your thoughts so I can make my choice on Espresso machine, grinders and now roaster! ( based on my own digest )

Nathan

Love is in the air! Taste it.
 View Profile Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 8:12pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

craigrow Said:

Let me clarify my question.  If I asked you whether I should buy a Subaru Forester or a Mercedes SLK then, "it depends on what you want."  One is a sport ut, the other a sports car.  You wouldn't buy the SLK to go skiing; you wouldn't buy the Forester to impress the chicks.  However, if I ask you which is the better car, clearly the Mercedes beats the Subaru, hands down, in terms of quality of design, craftsmanship, materials, etc.  

From what I read about the Hottop and the Behmor, however, we're not talking SLK v. Forester.  It's more like a Suburban v. a Tahoe with custom wheels and the Tahoe is considerably more expensive.  What I'm asking is, is the Hottop a Tahoe?  If it is then it's not worth the extra expense.  From what I read, that is the case.

However, the Hottop's price suggests it's not a Tahoe, but a Cadillac Escalade.  In many ways a simlar vehicle but far superior in terms of craftsmanship and quality of materials.  

So, if the Behmor is a Suburban, is the Hottop a Tahoe or an Escalade?  If they were both $200 which would you buy?

Posted January 21, 2008 link

Kind of mute if you're not an experienced driver.  Roasting is like driving.  Takes some experience regardless of your equipment to get good at it.

If you're starting out you could go with the least expensive equipment.  You might not appreciate what a more expensive set up will do until you know what you're doing.  On the other hand going with good equipment to start off also gives you something to grow into.  The Hottop is a roaster that should last long enough for you to grow into and then some.

The Hottop is one the only home roaster I know of that allows you to dump your roast right when it's done.  No cooling in the chamber.  That alone makes it a great roaster compared to the other home roasters offered.  The new fully controllable board makes for a very good roaster.

The Behmor is new and attractive for the price point.  Same debates of Hottop vs. Gene Cafe went around for a while when the Gene came out.  Once the novelty of the Behmor settles down it might fade off the radar like the Gene.  Will something else come along and will it to be compared to the Hottop?

I find the Hottop a very good roaster.  Very capable.  Great customer support.  Been around a while.  Excellent roaster at any price, IMHO.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 8:41pm

Question for Hottop users:  When the roast is done and you dump the beans, then what?  Is there a cooling system underneath the dumptray that pushes air through the beans?  If so, how long does it typically take to cool the beans?  Or do you have to cool the beans some other way?  In other words, does the Hottop have a built in cooling system?

The Behmor pushes a lot of ambient air into the chamber upon cooling and opening the door after a short time speeds it up.  Its not as fast as when I dump the hot beans from the TO/SC into the cooling cone and let the air blow through.  But one batch of very hot beans went all over the deck when I forgot to unplug the SC cord!  That was fun...

LMWDP # 010
mrgnomer
mrgnomer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 8:53pm

Prof Said:

Question for Hottop users:  When the roast is done and you dump the beans, then what?

Posted January 22, 2008 link

You enjoy the piece of mind knowing you stopped your roast where you wanted it not where it ends up with other in the chamber cooling systems ;)

Yes, the fan of the Hottop goes to full after the roast is dumped.  The roast is agitated by a spinning arm as well.  After the cooling period the temp of the roast is maybe slightly above room temp.  4 min, I beleive.

The fan could be more direct, I guess.  Doesn't stop anyone from pointing an additional fan at the tray while the beans are cooling.  Not only does the cooling tray arm agitate the beans the motor reverses if a bean gets stuck on the arm and the arm stalls.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
veganjosh

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Compak K10WBC, Mahlkoenig...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 8:53pm

Prof Said:

Question for Hottop users:  When the roast is done and you dump the beans, then what?  Is there a cooling system underneath the dumptray that pushes air through the beans?  If so, how long does it typically take to cool the beans?  Or do you have to cool the beans some other way?  In other words, does the Hottop have a built in cooling system?

There is a fan underneath the cooling tray, and the tray has a rotating stirrer that moves the beans around.  It runs through a 5 minute cooling cycle, and the beans are typically down to around room temperature in 2:00-2:30 (I haven't done actual measurements on this, just stuck my hand in the beans, so I might be wrong...nonetheless, the machine cools the beans pretty fast).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lparsons21

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 9:14pm

mrgnomer Said:

The Behmor is new and attractive for the price point.  Same debates of Hottop vs. Gene Cafe went around for a while when the Gene came out.  Once the novelty of the Behmor settles down it might fade off the radar like the Gene.  Will something else come along and will it to be compared to the Hottop?

I find the Hottop a very good roaster.  Very capable.  Great customer support.  Been around a while.  Excellent roaster at any price, IMHO.

I hadn't noticed that the Gene dropped off the radar any more than the Hottop did after the Behmor came out.  It, the Behmor and the Hottop are all good roasters imo.  Each with a slightly different way of doing things, each having pluses and minuses.  In the case of the Hottop, the price is a real issue for the guy/gal just wanting to roast a few beans now and then.

If money isn't a concern, I'd go for the Hottop because it is an extremely nice roaster with good control.  OTOH, if I was concerned a bit about money, the Gene and the Behmor come into the picture.  The Gene because it is so controllable, though you have to manually do everything.  The Behmor because it appears it will have good enough control and repeatability which I would think would be attractive to many.

I went with the Gene some time ago, at that time, the then current Hottop was grossly overpriced imo, for what it did.  The controls were primitive and didn't really allow all that much control either.  Today's Hottop is a very different animal with the new controls.

Lloyd
Cosmo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Coffee Gaggia
Grinder: M4 stepless
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: *bucks barista :(
Roaster: saving for a Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:09pm

I have the Hottop B.   love it.  I don't mind roasting several times a week, in fact I like the time out in the garage alone, with just the roaster and my sense of where I am going with it.  But that is a consideration, ie, roasting outside, unless you have a vent.  While I really like the smell of roasted beans, my wife will only tolerate it if I am outside. Something to think about.  

Aside from the extra money, the differences between the two roasters seems to come down to cooling, control, and load size.

If you get the HT, check out some of the profiles over at Home Barrista dot com.

Mike
Cafesp

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2008, 3:10am

mrgnomer Said:

Kind of mute if you're not an experienced driver.  Roasting is like driving.  Takes some experience regardless of your equipment to get good at it.

If you're starting out you could go with the least expensive equipment.  You might not appreciate what a more expensive set up will do until you know what you're doing.  On the other hand going with good equipment to start off also gives you something to grow into.  The Hottop is a roaster that should last long enough for you to grow into and then some..., IMHO.

I like driving my Nissan 300 Z  T-top  5-speed  way more than my MBZ 380SL  AT.
That's why I'll start out with Hottop B and hope  "to grow into it and then some."

Nathan

Cafesp

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2008, 8:00am
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmer

"...As for the Behmor and Gene, both are very nice roasters but my personal favorite is the Hottop 8828P. It gives me a roasting experience like no other, it gets all the senses involved (sight, sound and smell) are all there including beans cool to the touch after just a few rapid moments of cooling."
Niko

All your thoughts about these  roasters really help me digest and pick my own roaster choice.
Would be nice if we could have them all!

Cafesp

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008, 8:31am

I have had the Behmor for 7 months now and I just got the Hottop B this week. I think they fill completely different niches, the Behmor will get you roasting for a little less than half the coast of the Hottop and will do a very good job. I found that the Behmor roasted best with 10oz of beans and that gave me full control over how dark I want to roast and the Hottop does the same amount.  The Behmor does a good job at smoke reduction and the Hottop, well it does a good job of making smoke. The Behmor doesn't like back to back roasts and the manual calls for an hour between roasts, the Hottop will roast all day long with a automated cool down cycle followed by a short pre heat cycle. The Behmor has 5 preset roast profiles that can be manipulated but the changes can't be saved, the Hottop has 1 default profile that can be manipulated and 3 can be saved. The Behmor cools in the roasting chamber therefore you have to plan ahead on stopping the roast, the Hottop dumps the beans into a SS tray with perforated holes, an agitator arm moves the beans and a fan blows air up through the beans.

I have had 2 minor problems that needed fixing with the Behmor and this was easy with the great customer support.  I will have to see with the Hottop.

I needed more control over the roast so I upgraded to the Hottop but this does not mean I won't still use the Behmor.
showing page 2 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35338306427)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+