Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Home Made Bean Cooler
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Made Bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SmokinBeans
SmokinBeans
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: cheap whirly blade thingy
Drip: Bodum 3 cup French Press
Roaster: Stainless Back to Basics...
Posted Sat Jan 17, 2004, 2:34pm
Subject: Home Made Bean Cooler

My turn to contribute to the wealth of Home Crafted Roasting items.

I created a simple to make (well...it took a few hours...but no complicated tools necc.) Bean cooler that should be able to accomodate a full lb or more of hot beans.

Materials:
Aluminum Gutter screening material...6" wide roll
Steel Wire to "sew screen material  basket together".
2 lb. coffee can (I've been home roasting so long now ...I didn't have any on hand...LOL )
Short length of 1 1/4" heavy duty PVC pipe.
Heat tolerant Epoxy...I used Marine Grade epoxy...but High temp silicone might work too.
Shop Vac with long hose.

I made the basket by first forming a slight Cone shape out of the screen material that easilly fit into coffee can with room to spare at sides, and so that it 1/2-1 inch of sreen was outside of can to fold over edge of can. I layered a second and third piece of screening material to close off bottom of cone and overlap two sides (ea.) of cone (ends of second and third pieces reach to edge of can but don't fold over rimand third layer of screen had to be applied around and over it. Every spot on the basket has at least two layers of screening at bias ply that creates a Moire pattern of pretty small holes...no worries about my mokha dropping through.

Used steel wire to weave/sew screen material together....needle nose pliers helped alot.

It is important to leave "air space" at sides and bottom of basket (when installed in the can) so that air will be drawn through beans from all sides rather than just from bottom near the exhaust hole/pipe. I actully bent a "divot" in the bottom of the basket so that it stays well clear of the exhaust pipe.

The Lid is two layers of screen that overlaps edges of can just barely...I fastened it to one edge of basket with a few loops of wire so that it "hinges" easilly...there is no "latch"...I just hold it shut.

Epoxied PVC pipe into a hole cut in bottom of can...I laboriously used a small awl to poke many small holes in bottom of can, around circumference of penciled circle, traced around PVC pipe...then punched out the hole...there is probably an easier way to do that...but this worked well.

The finished item (PVC pipe) plugs into the hose of my old shop vac (has a cloth bag that can be "dampened" so less danger of hot chaff setting a fire... although I doubt that would happen...it has a long hose to go through before getting there...and I don't feel very much warmth in the hose or the PVC pipe while using this...it cools too fast.

I can also turn it on and suck up excess smoke while roasting to supplement my ceiling fan if I can position it close enough to my roaster.

see photos at URLs below...couldn't figure out how to post multiple images to this message.

Click Here (www.iownjoo.com)

This thing works AWESOME...It brought a 1/4 lb. vienna roast down to warm to touch in 25 seconds...I can dump directly from my whirley pop straight into the Cooler Can and cooling starts instantly...previously I ran my Popper out to my porch and dumped into a S/S collander ontop of a box fan...in addition to a 10-15 second delay getting the beans to the fan, that system would take 50 seconds or more to cool 1/4 lb of beans to the same point.

The new cooler sucks the chaff into the vacuum...Previously my front porch was covered with chaff...yaaaa...a clean porch from now on.

SmokinBeans: Cooler top.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeCat
CoffeeCat
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Z5, Barista, Saeco Superauto
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Buzz, Stir crazy/G-Gourmet
Posted Mon Jan 19, 2004, 9:42pm
Subject: Re: Home Made Bean Cooler

Nice work Smokin' Beans.  Thanks for the great pics.  It's always great to see what others are doing.  Here’s a little job I rigged up using a dirt devil vacuum from a thrift store ($7) a couple of nylon straps ($.10) and an old bucket and piece of wood I had laying around (free).  I took the cover off the dirt devil so that it would fit inside the bucket.  I strapped it to a piece of wood using nylon straps then screwed through the side of the bucket to hold the wood in place.  A hole in the side of the bucket exhausts the air.  A 10” colander fits right on top.  After I roast I dump the beans right into the colander which is sitting in the bucket, I plug it in and air is sucked down through the beans cooling them in no time.  The dirt devil moves a lot of air… too much to blow it up through the beans (the beans go flying, I tried).  It cools really fast and it cost next to nothing. - carl

CoffeeCat: PDR_0078.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SmokinBeans
SmokinBeans

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 2:33pm

Very neat Carl.

Your unit looks like it takes up a smaller footprint on the floor than my shop vac and hose does.

Do you agitate/shake the beans while cooling or just let the air do the work?

I guess chaff collection is a non-issue for you if your using GG/SC roasting setup.

nice job.

Matt
CoffeeCat
CoffeeCat

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 3:10pm

Hi Matt, I move the beans around with a big spoon while their cooling.  I would have preferred that the air blow up through the beans to remove the chaff that's left but no big deal.  Some of it goes through the sieve and what's left over isn't anything to worry about.  I have to laugh at it's appearance.  With the colander sitting on top all the ugly stuff is hidden.  One thing I don't like about it is the noise, but I only have to run it for a min. and it's about the same as a shop vac.  I don't imagine the neighbor like it too much outside their window at 10:30 at night when I do my roasting.  ~:-)  -carl
SmokinBeans
SmokinBeans

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 3:15pm

CoffeeCat Said:

I don't imagine the neighbor like it too much outside their window at 10:30 at night when I do my roasting.  ~:-)  -carl

Posted January 20, 2004 link

They probably think your a "cleaning nut" / Felix Unger type. hehe.

a 1/8 lb occasionally left on their doorstep will forgive all i'm sure. ;)
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 3:44pm

Congratulations SmokinBeans and CoffeeCat on the impressive bean coolers.
1 minute blows mine away.  Right now I am using my HWP as a cooler.  I dump the beans from the Z&D into the HWP, close the lid and hit the cool button.  The Z&D load is a bit large for the HWP so I have to pick up the machine and rock it in a circular motion to keep the beans agitated.
When the HWP was my primary roaster I used a Poppery 1 (my first roaster) with the heater disconnected as a cooler.  I went to the HWP as a cooler because the poppery spread chaff around the kitchen.

Both machines cool the beans in about 5 minutes.

You have inspired me to come up with a "higher performance" cooler.  It will probably involve my spare Z&D roasting chamber.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
CoffeeCat
CoffeeCat

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 4:02pm

Hi Phil, I need to add that I'm currently roasting in about 35 F weather so the cold air that's being sucked past the beans makes a huge difference in the cool down time.   I suspect when it's 80 F this summer my cooldown time will increase proportionatly - carl
SmokinBeans
SmokinBeans

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2004, 1:18pm

Cooling time update

I roasted a full lb last night and the can cooler got beans down to "warm" in 1 minute 20 seconds.
I did it in my kitchen...ambient temp was 65-70 F.

I realized that while holding the lid closed I could get more efficient airflow through the beans by holding it upside down while shaking...I realized this about 1/2 way through the cooling process, so perhaps time will come down a bit on the next roast.

I am soooo STOKED that I don't have to run out to the porch any more to cool my beans.

-matt
ksmccul
ksmccul

Grinder: pro-line
Vac Pot: old school glass cory
Drip: Mellita Clarity/Pour...
Roaster: convection/stir crazy combo
Posted Thu Apr 1, 2004, 11:30am

I just rigged up one of these vacuum/bucket/collander coolers last night...
took about 5 minutes...
cut a hole for the hose
shoved hose into side of bucket
set collander on bucket
dumped beans, turned on shop-vac
stirred slightly...
cooled 1.5 pounds in around 2 minutes!!

very sweet, glad I remembered this post....

thanks
for the insight guys

kel
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
senorswiss

Espresso: DuettoII
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Moka Pot
Drip: French Press, Aero Press
Roaster: Modified HG/BM
Posted Sat Jun 7, 2008, 1:54pm

Carl, I really liked your bean cooler since the vacuum is inside the bucket. Since I'm in school, I don't have a lot of room to keep all my coffee related toys , and this seems to be a perfect solution for me.  I picked up a different vacuum at my local goodwill last week, but the design of the motor wouldn't allow me to mount it inside the bucket. However, today I found a dirt devil for $5, so I was very happy. It seems to be exactly what you used from looking at the picture of your motor.  I still have to finish drilling holes in the stainless steel mixing bowl that I found at Walmart, but otherwise I am done. The bowl makes a very nice seal with the bucket.

Has yours held up to the heat involved in cooling the beans?

Cheers,
Jordan
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Made Bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322774887085)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+