Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Modifying Whirly Pop
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Modifying Whirly...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
calapia

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: looking
Grinder: Capresso Infinity,...
Drip: French Press for me, thank...
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:56am
Subject: Modifying Whirly Pop

I read a few threads here where people were questioning about these modifications, but I'm curious if anyone here has successfully modded a Whirly Pop with an automatic agitator, and if they thought that helped out.  Also, before I jump into roasting in the WP, does it really create THAT much smoke?  Even more than regular stove top roasting?  What about if I'm roasting half a pound?

I thought it would be a good idea to try roasting in the WP because now I'm roasting in a Kitchen Gourmet, and have really no control over the temperature or roasting profile.  Do you think the WP will help me do this better?
 View Profile Link to this post
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: Modifying Whirly Pop

Chaff creates smoke.  Unavoidable although it can be better contained by not opening the cover to peek inside.  Otherwise, haven't made any mods to my unit up to now.
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:26pm

I sorta remember some guy using a cordless drill....and yes you are going to get smoke.

Dan Brewer
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 1:03pm

I also remember seeing a drill atatched to the crank.

I found the WP to offer a fair amt of control over the roast but there's a learning curve to figure out where you want to set you stovetop and the temps you want to have.  The results or relatively repeatable for me but there's too many variables to make it overly consistant batch after batch.

The more you roast at one time, the more smoke.  In addition, the darker you roast the more smoke.  Right before and during 2nd crack, is when the smoke really starts to happen.  Keep the lid down, run you hood vent over your stove and the visible smoke itself isn't too much; keeping the lid closed really contains the heat well and it's easy to roast by smell and sound after a few batches.  The aroma carries through the house pretty well though.  I found 1/2lbs not overly consitant in the WP, so I'd suggest the 12oz to 1lb range.  1lb does get to the point of emitting a fair amount of smoke, but the 12oz seemed to be a nice comprimise from consitance vs. smoke.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 1:49pm

Ive seen alot of people attaching a corldless drill to the whirly pop.  Luckily, you wont need the torque needed in drills found on a job site, so you can probably just pick up a cheap ryobi at walmart or something.  

Smoke is garunteed.  I roast with a heatgun, and if Im going past full city, say fullcity++ to french(I dont go past light light vienna) there is a lot of smoke.  My darkest roast to date was two days ago, i roasted to light vienna and I almost smoked out the garage.  ONce i turned on the fan I use to cool my beans, it dissapated quickly.  Plus it is a very nice smelling smoke, I think anyway.

Trying not to hijack here but...

does anyone have any thought on taking the lids off the whirly pop and using it with a heatgun? Im trying to fine something to agitate the beans instead of stirring with a spoon, and I have been unsuccesful finding a cheap bread machine.  I own one, but use it a lot, so I wont be roasting with it.  So maybe if I can use the arms in the whirlypop, somehow rigged to a drill that I mount somehow, I could concentrate more on the guns temp and distance from the bean mass.  PLus, I think the whirlypops blades doing the stirring will yield a more consistent roast.  As opposed to manual stirring that is..  Any thoughts?

Back to the OP.  As well as using your stove hood, you can also open a window and put a window fan, blowing outwards.  I have one in my garage to circulate the air when Im roasting, so it should do a fine job for helping get the smoke out.  just open some windows and use a your stove hood, and cieling fan will help circulate the air as well.  Open the kitchen window,and a window on the the other side of the house,that will help with circulation.

Of course, you could go to a sporting goods/outdoors store and by a portable burner and run it off butane or propane.  I would imagine a propane powered stove would yiled better temps, but Ive cooked with butane on camping trips, and it does give off a lot of heat.  You might not be able to find a big enough tank to do more then two or three roasts, so this route might not be the best for saving money, but check it out.  Oh, and if you buy your butane tanks at home depot or lowes as opposed to a camping or outdoors store, you will save a lot of money.  they are much cheaper at home depot then they are at Dicks or EMS.  Ems and Dicks comes close to ripping you off on butane tanks.  But they figure you're gonna buy or two.  Home Depot expects contractors will be in there weekly for 5 or more.

IN any event, enjoy roasting!  I garuntee it will be the only way you do coffee, aside from the occasional purchae of your favorite espresso from your supplier.  I roast all my own coffee and espresso, but i will still order a pound of Klatchs Belle now and then.  I fien for that stuff!!

Kudos,
Jeff

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Rancilio

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Back to Basics Popcorn...
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 2:13pm

calapia Said:

I read a few threads here where people were questioning about these modifications, but I'm curious if anyone here has successfully modded a Whirly Pop with an automatic agitator, and if they thought that helped out.  Also, before I jump into roasting in the WP, does it really create THAT much smoke?  Even more than regular stove top roasting?  What about if I'm roasting half a pound?

I thought it would be a good idea to try roasting in the WP because now I'm roasting in a Kitchen Gourmet, and have really no control over the temperature or roasting profile.  Do you think the WP will help me do this better?

Posted February 18, 2009 link

Calapia, I think in your situation were you live in a small place in Brooklyn and concerned about making a lot of smoke when you roast your coffee beans. The WP is a stove top popcorn Popper that you can use for coffee roasting. Roasting with the WP on top of a stove you will control the temperature by reducing the heat on the burner, and it does make a lot of smoke, more towards the end of the roasting process.

There was a company in Germany   www.germaninnovations.com    that found a way to take off the skin of green coffee beans (chaff), so when you roast them, it will be totally smoke free, and with those processed green beans they were also marketing a good looking home coffee roaster. The company is no longer on the web.
A picture of  the coffee roaster is attached.
Mr.T

Rancilio: Roaster 2.JPG
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Modifying Whirly...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253275156021)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+