Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Any sc/co roasters using the digital Sunpentown top?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Any sc/co...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
technoweasel

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Dream
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Rossi...
Vac Pot: Collector
Drip: Cuisinart DC-1200, Chemex
Roaster: SC/CO, Caffe Rosto, Poppery2
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 9:51am
Subject: Any sc/co roasters using the digital Sunpentown top?

I know this topic has been flogged before but;
with my GG the air temp swings are just too wide and are causing inconsistencies in the final of my roasts.

Before I PID the thing, I was hoping the digital Sunpentown SO-2002 might have a tighter control window than my GG.
The air temp drops almost 40 deg on my GG before it slowly starts ramping back to setpoint.

Is anyone using the digital Sunpentown and if so what do your temp swings look like? Are you using  a separate probe to monitor the air temp or the Sunpentown's own display? Seperate bean probe?

I know some of you advocate the variac but it seems like a somewhat crude DIY PID control.
I think for the money a variac costs that a PID controller or maybe the Sunpentown might give me more consistent temp control.

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 7:29pm
Subject: Re: Any sc/co roasters using the digital Sunpentown top?

technoweasel Said:

I know some of you advocate the variac but it seems like a somewhat crude DIY PID control.
I think for the money a variac costs that a PID controller or maybe the Sunpentown might give me more consistent temp control.

Mike

Posted October 3, 2009 link

The thing I like about some of the older GG tops is the higher wattage(1440 or 1470 watts)and better build quality. My first GG top has well over 1000 roasts on it and still going strong. The new sunpentown,etc. tops are 1200watts. I have not used the digital sunp. but fear the thermostat is still an issue.

I prefer the variac as I like to adjust on the fly. Timing of changes is really important. A PID would be nice if I have a profile worked out for a bean and were going to repeat many batches. But with homeroasting just about every roast is different.  I have ET and BT as well as a "Kill A Watt" meter on the variac on my GG top driven homebuilt

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 7:43pm

What Ed said...

Dan Brewer
technoweasel

Posted Sun Oct 4, 2009, 7:36pm

I guess I will be answering my own question. Just bought one fairly cheap on ebay.

Good point about the lower wattage though.
farmroast
farmroast

Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 8:25pm

Mike
With a "Kill A Watt" meter(approx. $20. very handy homeroasting) you could monitor the cycling by setting it on watts.  Knowing when and what is happening might allow you to manipulate the settings on the digital, when needed.
CO tops give the best heat application. The stirring abilities of the SC is the limitation.
What model did you get? One has the traditional element and one is nano carbon fiber in glass element?
cheers,
farm

please visit my blog
technoweasel

Posted Tue Oct 6, 2009, 2:03pm

farm,
I actually already have a "Kill A Watt" meter but I have never used it for roasting. I guess now is the time.

I got nano carbon fiber one, which claims to get up to 382 in 10 minutes, which is actually faster than my GG does during a roast
but who knows what actual conditions they set when they made that claim.

I  have the black Salton UFO bottom which seems to stir ok to me, my roasts come out very even (to my unprofessional eye) but if
I go much over 15 oz,  I get beans flipped up on the edge of bottom, out of reach of the arms.

I have the Salton heater wire on the switch so I can give it a little extra heat if needed.
Arms come on when unit is plugged in.

Top is "Out for Delivery" but will not have time to try it out tonight.
farmroast
farmroast

Posted Tue Oct 6, 2009, 4:03pm

Have heard the UFO stirs better/faster than the SC. The nano carbon fiber element is pretty cool. I picked up the wok type one with the curved glass to make another roaster with when I get some time this winter.
so-2007

please visit my blog
sea221

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: French Press/Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO and 2 Kilo gas Drum...
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 10:00pm

Sure would like to figure out a way to speed up the stir arm on my S/C I installed a switch to give it a little bump of heat every now and then installed a couple 3/8 pieces of copper tubing on the stir arms hoping that would move things around a little better. I am getting  good roast out of it but I think I could get better if I could get things moving a little faster.
farmroast
farmroast

Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 11:02pm

sea221 Said:

Sure would like to figure out a way to speed up the stir arm on my S/C I installed a switch to give it a little bump of heat every now and then installed a couple 3/8 pieces of copper tubing on the stir arms hoping that would move things around a little better. I am getting  good roast out of it but I think I could get better if I could get things moving a little faster.

Posted December 8, 2009 link

Absolutely, that's why I built my Dreamroast. I've seen various builds over the past few years. Nothing that's a standard. Some have used bread machine drives. There are lots of gearhead and speed control motors on ebay and at surplus places online like SurplusCenter. com.  The turbo tops do a great job of heat application it's the stir ability that's lacking.

please visit my blog
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 7:42am

Agree 100%, if a bread machine is meant to flip around 1 1/2 pounds of bread dough, it will flip the beans just fine and probably last much longer than a SC.  Think Goodwill and part with a whopping $10 for something that looks brand new or you could save a couple of bucks and spend $5 on something that has been used 3 or 4 times (smile).  Many of us are reaping the benifits of the bread crazed consumer who after purchasing a machine has found it just easier to buy a loaf of bread in the store.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Any sc/co...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311458826065)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+