Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
scales?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > scales?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
gimpy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Fri Dec 18, 2009, 8:50pm
Subject: scales?

After ordering/receiving a new Behmor, I've read where a scale is really needed to get consistent roasts. Looking for suggestions in the "up to $30.00 range--lower is better". I've done a little googling and have looked at a couple of different ones. One being the "Triton 2, 550 gram scale (I think it is a "jewelers scale?"). I've also looked at an up-to-10 pound food scale listed at WalMart which is about 1/3 less money.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I will probably, either buy locally or order via the internet this weekend/week.

thx,

Frank, "Still the one"
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 18, 2009, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: scales?

gimpy Said:

After ordering/receiving a new Behmor, I've read where a scale is really needed to get consistent roasts. Looking for suggestions in the "up to $30.00 range--lower is better". I've done a little googling and have looked at a couple of different ones. One being the "Triton 2, 550 gram scale (I think it is a "jewelers scale?"). I've also looked at an up-to-10 pound food scale listed at WalMart which is about 1/3 less money.

Posted December 18, 2009 link

I suggest a kitchenware supply store and a food scale, as follows:

Range 0-10lbs (and metric equivalent)
Conversion between lbs/oz/grams/kg
Capability to automatically subtract (tare) out a container
Resolution 1 gram

You need the ability to switch between oz and grams because water is usually measured in oz and coffee in grams, ie, I just brewed up a pot of 24 oz of water and 36gm of coffee.  You need a range of up to 10 lbs to check packages of coffee, usually purchased in 1, 2, 5 and 10 lb quantities.  

In it's use, you put a container on the scale, then switch it on, then switch it to the appropriate unit of measure (oz or gm).  The weight of the container is automatically subtracted by the scale.

Such a cooking scale is sold for around $20 for cooking purposes.

You don't need a resolution of 0.1 grams as you might find in a more expensive jeweller's scale.

Jerry
javanana

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Roaster: I-Roast2, Behmor
Posted Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:05pm

Here is a good site for scales of all kinds....Old Will Knott Scales. Highly recommended by eBay sellers who need accurate weights for shipping.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 1:28am

I purchased a digital postal scale at one of those big box office supply joints while traveling and after three years I have yet to even replace a battery.   As I recall it was around twenty dollars.   If I place my bowel on the pad and energize the scale, it offers net coffee weight which is probably a standard feature of most electronic scales but makes life very easy when measuring out bean for a batch.   I use it opposite when weighing filled bags, gross weight of bag and bean so one could say I got my cake and eat it too.  

It's a "Pelouze" 10lb  capacity, Model PE10.
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 7:35am

I really like my Ohaus triple beam.  After 30+ years of use, it has yet to exhaust its nonexistent battery.  8^P
gimpy

Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 7:42am

Thx, guys. I wasn't really sure if the up to 10 pd scale would be needed for all that extra weight as I was only planning to use it with the Behmor, but had not thought about checking the coffee packages. That Oldwillknottscales site looks really good. I haven't checked the postal scale, yet, but will here shortly, Breeze.

Really, the only reason I mentioned the Triton scale was because a local roaster has a couple of different scales for sale for coffee roasting and that is one of them.  I will do some further checking on these and thx for the suggestions.

edit: ok, tj (your post materialized as I was writing mine), I will also look at your Ohaus triple beam, thx.

Frank, "Still the one"
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 8:49am

gimpy Said:

...Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I will probably, either buy locally or order via the internet this weekend/week.

Posted December 18, 2009 link

Hi Frank...
Actually the only features needed are gm versus oz and tare capability (to zero out a container before weighing what's in it) and a 10 pound capacity is more than adequate. They are all digital these days and all pretty darned accurate...certainly close enough for dosing. I see little or no benefits other than bragging rights to more expensive ones.

Ours is an ancient 5 pound capacity (as in more than 10 years ancient) that is only on it's 2nd battery. Use it several times a week. If it ever breaks we'll just get another inexpensive one similar. I do like a level platform better than the food ones with a ''bowl'' on top...it's more flexible that way.

The other thing you want to check is the resolution - what is the smallest amount it weighs. Most are limited to a gram and a few are 2 grams while there is the occasional .5 gm...that is the smallest change they can register. I'd want no less than 1 gm and probably half gram resolution.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 9:00am

I found a Chefmate Digital Stainless Steel scale at the thrift store that works well for me.  A coworker liked it so we found out it's sold at Target.  Looks like they have a lot of cheap scales.

I was using a postage scale before, but this one goes up to 11 pounds and will measure in grams, ounces, or pounds and ounces.

I use a 500 g pocket jewelry scale for espresso prep that I got off eBay.  Both scales appear to be accurate against the 500 g calibration weight I also picked up.

-Chris

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gimpy

Posted Sun Dec 20, 2009, 7:56am

Thx, all. I went to the local coffee shop (by the way, I really like the flavor of their coffee. I wrongly called them a roaster--they do not roast their own, but guarantee the roast they use to be no more than 2 weeks old) and checked out the little Triton they had posted on their web site. The one they had was a 300 grm scale and not the 550 gram (currently out but will be getting one in). After looking at it, I did not particularly like its "feel" and size, so I think I will look at others, either from WalMart or Target (as suggested).

lj, thx for some of the suggestions, I will definitely keep those in mind, particularly the .5 to 1 grm increment reading.

Frank, "Still the one"
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Sun Dec 20, 2009, 8:55am

yakster Said:

...I use a 500 g pocket jewelry scale for espresso prep that I got off eBay.  Both scales appear to be accurate against the 500 g calibration weight I also picked up.

-Chris

Posted December 19, 2009 link

I'd strongly recommend getting an assortment of calibration weights, starting at 25mg or so and going all the way up to 100, 200 and 500g, just to see how accurate the scale is at each weight.  A high class set isn't needed since we're not concerned with milligram accuracy (costing $1000 or more).  Just get a calibration set in the $100 or so price range for coffee.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > scales?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282580852509)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+