Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Fresh Roast SR300 SR500 ...Did anyone buy one?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Fresh Roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 2:05pm
Subject: Re: Fresh Roast SR300 SR500 ...Did anyone buy one?

When I saw those videos Jerry, I thought "be afriad, be very afraid".  Wouldn't touch one with a ten footer as the saying goes.

Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
pallen
pallen
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Veneli's Mini Pro II, Dienes...
Drip: Aeropress, Melitta
Roaster: RK Drum, Behmor 1600, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 2:27pm

Clay34 Said:

When I saw those videos Jerry, I thought "be afriad, be very afraid".  Wouldn't touch one with a ten footer as the saying goes.

Rick

Posted January 15, 2010 link

I think that is the problem. The problems identified in the video are nothing new with the Freshroast, but there was no video about the older models. The original Freshroast has been around a long time, and despite its issues, has been loved by most users. The fact that the video is out seems to be scaring people away, but I would guess that if you compare the old freshroast to the new, you will find that the new one is a huge improvement.
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 2:57pm

Jerry, can you roast outside or do you have to roast indoors?  Seriously happy with using the Corretto method.  While not my videos here is a good representative video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKt-fxGi4A

$40 heat gun, $10 bread machine and as you well know I am currently roasting 800 gram batches.  A hole in the bread pan and your Tenma 72-7712 will be right at home.  

Rick
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:22am

pallen Said:

...The fact that the video is out seems to be scaring people away, but I would guess that if you compare the old freshroast to the new, you will find that the new one is a huge improvement.

Posted January 15, 2010 link

Hi Pallen...
Do you have access to some statistical figures to say that? I doubt a person who is roasting seriously would be as attracted to the FreshRoast as a novice, and the price point and ease of use are attractive to newbies, so I doubt the videos are scaring folks away.

I've met a lot of home roasters over the years who don't even know these forums exist, so I doubt we could judge acceptance or rejection of a roaster based on a couple videos on YouTube (where these videos are residing). And Tom is not the only place selling them either...

They probably are easier than the originals to use, and probably will produce good roasts if the precautions Tom pointed out in his videos (actively stirring the beans for the first 2-3 minutes, and ramping the roast) are observed.

You obviously have a method established, which does everything the FreshRoast does, with more flexibility. So the video is probably not for you...

I'd probably consider a 500 as an RV roaster...especially next year when a few begin to show up on the used market.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
pallen
pallen

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Veneli's Mini Pro II, Dienes...
Drip: Aeropress, Melitta
Roaster: RK Drum, Behmor 1600, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jan 16, 2010, 12:14pm

Yes, I take daily stats on Sweet Marias sales ;)

No, that comment was based on the tone in the follow-up videos that came out somewhat apologizing for the previous vid, as well as anecdotal evidence such as posted above "When I saw those videos Jerry, I thought "be afriad, be very afraid".  Wouldn't touch one with a ten footer as the saying goes." I agree, no serious roaster with money to spend is going to be looking at the FreshRoast. I really hope the videos arent scaring people away. I have seen them posted twice here though, so they are getting some limited attention outside of Sweet Marias.

As I said, the original was a heck of a deal for the price and had similar issues. I got many years of great coffee from mine. (I still use it from time to time when I just need a few ozs for a blend) I fully expect the improved version to be an even better deal. With products like this out there, its hard to imagine why anyone serious about coffee buys pre-roasted beans. With the money you save buying greens, it wont take long for a Freshroast to pay for itself. I think it would be great for an RV roaster as well.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:34am

ljguitar Said:

I've met a lot of home roasters over the years who don't even know these forums exist, so I doubt we could judge acceptance or rejection of a roaster based on a couple videos on YouTube (where these videos are residing). And Tom is not the only place selling them either...

Posted January 16, 2010 link

It's scary how Google works.  When I post a note about (say) the SR500 to-day, by the next day their search-engines have found it.  Try doing a search on Fresh Roast SR500 and see that it finds and presents this very thread.

People who are interested in the SR 500 will do that search and find that negative review immediately.

He should have said:  "It's an entry-level roaster without too many bells and whistles but it does a good job with the following reservations."  He should not have emphasized (as a previous poster pointed out) that it breaks when you drop it, as if that were the fault of the manufacturer.

UNLESS ...It really is a loser product and and then he should have been specific and accurate.

Jerry
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:52am

The point I got about the parts breaking when dropped is that these parts are not clamped or locked onto the top: if you tip it they can fall off; Be careful. When they hit the floor they can break.

I think this type of 'review' is refreshing. It is what it is. Put 4oz of greens in and if you don't stir for the first few minutes it will scorch.  Sounds like it needs a bigger fan motor. (poppery I) This, with a  thermometer, would make the variable fan speed more useful.
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 2:53pm

JKalpin Said:

It's scary how Google works.  When I post a note about (say) the SR500 to-day, by the next day their search-engines have found it.  Try doing a search on Fresh Roast SR500 and see that it finds and presents this very thread.

People who are interested in the SR 500 will do that search and find that negative review immediately.

He should have said:  "It's an entry-level roaster without too many bells and whistles but it does a good job with the following reservations."  He should not have emphasized (as a previous poster pointed out) that it breaks when you drop it, as if that were the fault of the manufacturer.

UNLESS ...It really is a loser product and and then he should have been specific and accurate.

Posted January 17, 2010 link

Hi Jerry...
Well if Google is as specific as you say, then they will find this discussion too, and have some counterbalance to what you perceived as criticism.

I imagine FreshRoast will sell a ton of the new ones just from a price point standpoint...criticism withstanding.

So are you thinking you may order one?

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 4:58am

Larry, it's at the top of my list.

I like it because, like my FR+8, it stands tall on my stove and smoke removal (stove fan) would be good.  I live in a condo and my neighbours don't like fire alarms and roasting odours.  Also, capacity is twice my FR+8 which really matches my consumption.  Also, it's relatively cheap.

But someone is finally reviewing it click here.  In the GCBC forum a pro roaster got one.  Scroll down the thread to postings by 'Shep'.  He watched the review videos from Sweet Maria's and thought them negative.

Jerry
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 7:49am

JKalpin Said:

...I live in a condo and my neighbours don't like fire alarms and roasting odours.  Also, capacity is twice my FR+8 which really matches my consumption.  Also, it's relatively cheap.

Posted January 18, 2010 link

Hi Jerry...
I have 2 sets of friends who lived in a townhouse with neighbors for years, and both have had Zach & Dani (Nesco) roasters and used them indoors with great success. I can tell you that his little Nesco (Zach & Dani) was much better at dealing with noise, smoke and odor than the FreshRoasts are. I love my FreshRoasts and got both of these men involved in roasting to begin with, but the Nesco roaster is both quieter and a lot less smoky/smelly than a FreshRoast...with similar load capacity to the 300/500 FreshRoast models if I remember right...they were both roasting 4 oz at a time (not the 5 Nesco recommends).

I tried to get them to buy other roasters initially, and both arrived at the Nesco after consulting with their wives...one lives in Nashville and the other in our city (and both have seen my roasting rigs). The only complaint they had was the people at their workplaces want them to roast for them, and it is not a big enough roaster to take that on...

It's not an attempt to dissuade you from liking FreshRoasts, it has to do with smoke, smell and noise & living/roasting indoors. I was frankly surprised at how much quieter they were, and how these guys who are just serious coffee drinkers and not hobby-ists have taken to roasting with them. And neither of them stuck it under the hood...they just set it out on the counter and started them.

Results...
The coffee from the Nesco is more drum-like in character due to longer roast cycles than the FreshRoast (which are a brighter in the cup result). A very attractive thing to me as a long-time FreshRoast user was the length of time between 1st and 2nd crack...I was amazed and had the Nesco been around when I first started roasting that might have attracted me. I lost control of many a load in the FreshRoast where first crack launched me into 2nd with no space in between (pre Variac days).

Just a few random thoughts...hope it contributes to the discussion.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Fresh Roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350172042847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+