Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
"AHA! Moments"  In Roasting
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > "AHA! Moments"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 8:02pm
Subject: "AHA! Moments"  In Roasting

What have been your Aha Moments?  What changes did you make that really changed roasting for you?  How long have you been roasting?  Will you tell the story of your journey through the knowledge of roasting?

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:01pm
Subject: Re: "AHA! Moments"  In Roasting

My Aha moment so far, and I am only at the beginning, was that roasting was more than dropping, timing, smelling, looking, cracks and don't burn it or bake it.  All of a sudden, the realization of the existence of the possibilities and complexities of roasting overwhelmed me.  I am very excited to learn more and I barely know where to start.

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
jake8

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: La Cimbali Max, KYM from...
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Corretto
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:05pm

I have learned more from the few botched roasts than if have from dozens of decent roasts.

Another thing that helped was roasting the same bean several times in a row and purposely taking each batch to a different level.
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010, 1:36pm

TheMummaFamily Said:

What have been your Aha Moments?  What changes did you make that really changed roasting for you?  How long have you been roasting?  Will you tell the story of your journey through the knowledge of roasting?

Posted April 16, 2010 link

Hey mum...
Ten years (a bit more), and the biggest Aha was when I finally and deliberately burned a batch (all the way to oil on the outside). After that I recognized the stages more easily, and was not afraid of them getting away from me.

There have been others along the way...that was the main one.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
TheMummaFamily

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010, 1:54pm

I was thinking of doing that...now I'm gonna!!

stoutman
stoutman

Espresso: Expobar Brewtes R
Grinder: Kitchen-aid / Capresso...
Drip: Hamilton Beach / Avantco...
Roaster: Ambex YM-2, Behmor, and...
Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010, 2:55pm

I've been roasting about a year.  My biggest AHA! was when I realized that the quality of the green beans varied greatly from one vendor to the next.  It didn't matter how careful I was with the roast or what profile I used.  If the beans were full of defects then the coffee didn't taste as great as when I bought the speciality coffee that was clean through and through.  Now when I try a different vendor, or a new coffee from a known vendor, the first thing I do is inspect the coffee for the defects.  Since I'm a quality guru for a living I keep records and statistics on the different vendors and coffees.  I guess I'm just a coffee geek.

My mother's doctor told her to quit drinking coffee.  She told him she would quit when she was dead.
BlueMoon

Espresso: None
Grinder: Baratza Virtuouso
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60, Chemex, Clever...
Roaster: UFO/CO
Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010, 5:52pm

My aha moments:

--  I like bright coffees -- it does not matter how delicious you describe a Sumatra or a Sulewesi, I am not going to think a whole lot of it... the only exception oddly enough is Monsooned Malabar

--  It pays to be patient -- don't just jump on the first Costa Rican or Guat of the season... if you wait till May/ June, there will be more of a selection

--  That you don't have to be anal retentive to roast coffee well (Note: I DO NOT MAKE ESPRESSO).  I used to use pen, pad, timers, charts etc.  Not anymore... You don't need a variac, you don't need to test the voltage coming through the line, you don't need a temperature probe... Assuming you have the equipment that gets hot enough to roast coffee, just learn how to use your setup.  I use the force to roast on my Stir Crazy / Oven setup.  Wet process (except yirg) gets roasted to the first pops of second crack.  Dry process gets roasted 30 seconds after I hear the last pop of 1st crack.  Exacting consistency is for McDonalds, not for home.

Just my $0.02...
stoutman
stoutman

Espresso: Expobar Brewtes R
Grinder: Kitchen-aid / Capresso...
Drip: Hamilton Beach / Avantco...
Roaster: Ambex YM-2, Behmor, and...
Posted Sun Apr 18, 2010, 6:05pm

BlueMoon Said:

My aha moments:

--  I like bright coffees ... I use the force to roast on my Stir Crazy / Oven setup.

Posted April 17, 2010 link

I like bright coffees as well.  I had an air popper that produced very bright coffees with Columbian and Kenyan beans.  When it died I bought a drum roaster.  I've never used a setup like yours but didn't really consider it until now.  Have you used an air bed roaster, and does your roasting method compare when it comes to creating a bright roast?

I'm intrigued.

My mother's doctor told her to quit drinking coffee.  She told him she would quit when she was dead.
BlueMoon

Espresso: None
Grinder: Baratza Virtuouso
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60, Chemex, Clever...
Roaster: UFO/CO
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:32am

Started with a Freshroast, then bought the generic Walgreens air popper, and then finally the UFO/TO setup.  From what I can remember, the Freshroast roasts seemed a bit brighter -- how much of that is due to the time difference in roasting (6:30 or so in a Freshroast vs. 12-13 mins in my UFC/CO).  Have not tried any kind of roaster beyond the 3 I mentioned, but I have read/heard that fluid bed is going to yield brighter coffee than drum style.
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010, 1:58pm

BlueMoon Said:

...but I have read/heard that fluid bed is going to yield brighter coffee than drum style.

Posted April 19, 2010 link

Yes, that is established truth! At least with home roasting machines...

If you like it 'bright' then stick with air...I've had 3 air type and 2 drums (and one I’m not sure...the stir-crazy/galloping-gourmet)...

If the roasts are into 1st crack in under 8-9 minutes, it will not be bright...and equal stretched times on an air roaster do not produce as deep a roast for espresso as with a drum either...

I like em all...

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > "AHA! Moments"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332903862)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+