Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Newbie with ronco showtime roaster
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
msav

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:51am
Subject: Newbie with ronco showtime roaster

Hey guys.

I read from a few people and places that the ronco showtime would not reach roasting temps. I picked one up on craigslist for $25 and  I ran an experiment before purchasing a a Drum From Len.

Sure enough after 15 min temperature inside the rotisserie still was sitting around 375.  not nearly enough to roast. Another 4 mins only got it to 380.  I read somewhere that a covering the glass with foil would help.  I still was not sure it would help much.  I let the unit cool and completely wrapped the door in multiple layers of foil. I even rolled up some foil and put them in the vent slots behind the glass then wrapped one more layer to hold them in place.

I then fired up the totally cool rotisserie and imagine my surprise when it hit 450 in about 4 min.  I could not believe that foil would have that much of an impact.  I gave it 5 more min and it was up to 500.

I then ordered my drum from Len.

I roasted my first batch  the other day in the drum. Put 8oz of beams in the preheated 350 degree rotisserie. I watched my temperature and  became worried when it reached 450 and I still had not heard a single crack.(I had read that it was hard to hear in these machines)  I then began briefly opening the door and looking at the beans through the holes in the drum. Still looked pretty green. when my temps reached about 470 I began to hear first crack.  This happens in about 9 mins.   At 10 mins it sounded like firecrackers smoke was pouring out. I thought did I go from first crack  right into 2nd. I checked a couple times opening the door quickly. at 11 mins I said thats it and pulled the beans out. I found that 2 sets of needle nose pliers worked great and was able to remove and dump the beans in about 10 secs without burning myself.  The beans were about at a full city roast.  total roast time was 11 mins with me opening the door about 5 times.

I actually enjoyed the flavor, it was much different than my air popper would produce.  I still felt that the roast happened too quickly for a drum.  I am thinking maybe putting a pound of beans in next time and see if it slows the roast down.

I have about 10  4 oz batches under my belt in the hot air popper (P&S popcorn pumper) and just the single 8oz batch in the ronco.

anyone have any additional tips or helpful experiences with the above units.

Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: Newbie with ronco showtime roaster

I don't have any experience with that exact roaster, but if you are finding it going through to second crack very quickly, you will need to turn the heat down (or open some ventilation, whatever you need to stop adding so much heat).  What happens is eventually the beans start becoming exothermic - they are producing their own heat on top of what is being supplied - so you have no delay between first and second crack.  You'll generally have much better beans if you can extend the time between the end of first crack to beginning of second crack to a few minutes (three is pretty good) without going too far (stalling the roast).  It's a bit of a balancing act, but an important stage in nailing down your roast profile.
msav

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010, 5:47pm

well. there is no thermostat on this thing. It does however have a rotation setting without heat. It may take some experimenting but I should eventually be able to time it right to turn off the heat with the drum still rotating perhaps there will be enough heat in the unit to progress the roast to avoid stalling and slow down the roast.

I am not sure what happened, i just know how it progresses with the hot air roaster (about 2 min of silence between cracks) and it just never seemed to end in the rotisserie.

next time I think I will put the beans in a cold rotisserie instead of preheating.  I will definitely have to get my timing down.

Mark
brownroaster
brownroaster
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Krups, serena
Grinder: La Pavoni burr grinder
Drip: Bunn  bodum french press
Roaster: Fresh Roast, and popcorn...
Posted Sun Jul 11, 2010, 5:20am

Interesting problems you are having...I purchased mine from Len last year and get a consistant 17-19 minute roast for this machine (2lb capacity).  Have you tried calling Len and picking his brain, I have done that many times and he is always available to chat about coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236983060837)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+